Volunteers Needed

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Matthew Turner

Re: Volunteers Needed

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:32 pm

I too have had an E-mail from Kirstie and going forward the boxes will be 60x40x30cm. This makes storage much easier. Less good news is that a colleague was unable to collect sets from Holloid because "there were less sets ready than Kirstie had hoped". I think Kirstie is visiting Holloid soon, so lets hope for good news on the fortnightly update.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I too have had an E-mail from Kirstie and going forward the boxes will be 60x40x30cm. This makes storage much easier. Less good news is that a colleague was unable to collect sets from Holloid because "there were less sets ready than Kirstie had hoped". I think Kirstie is visiting Holloid soon, so lets hope for good news on the fortnightly update.
Do we have a figure on that one Matthew?

I think the powers that be will surpress the idea of a fortnightly update would be my guess :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 pm

I was down the chess club (yes first rule of chess club is not to mention chess club). Anyhow one of our players is ready to go to collect the sets but has not had new back as to when to collect. Any ideas when the sets will be ready? He is going to distribute to a significant number of schools in his area.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:04 pm

I see all updates on the project have stopped?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 pm

There is an update : there are no updates.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:22 pm

There is another update : there are no sets :-)

Kirstie Lapworth

Post by Kirstie Lapworth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 pm

A quick friendly update for you:

I still have no news on when production will resume as I have been on holiday myself this week. I am waiting to hear from either Chris Majer or the production manager at Holloid's. I do know that he was on holiday for a week or two, but he should be back next week. I have sent an e-mail asking for an update directly to him (HP production manager). When I know something I will pass this on.

Holloid Plastics bi-weekly update although late, is expected next week. The delay is due to issues with photographs.

Kirstie

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Kirstie Lapworth wrote:A quick friendly update for you:
Many thanks, Kirstie.

We're a cynical lot about the project on this Forum, as we've become used to dramatic announcements and developments in the few days prior to each ECF Council Meeting followed by total silence for six months until the pattern repeats itself before the next Council Meeting.

It's good that you're seeking to change things in this regard. News, good or bad, is preferable by far to no news.

If between now and July Holloid produce even a fraction of the sets that Chris Majer mentioned in his report to Council, you're going to need a lot of help from volunteers.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 am

David Sedgwick wrote: If between now and July Holloid produce even a fraction of the sets that Chris Majer mentioned in his report to Council, you're going to need a lot of help from volunteers.
However, there's statistically more chance of winning the lottery than that happening.

After all, winning the lottery is only a 14,000,000-1 shot!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 pm

I've just been browsing in a book shop and come across "Paper Chess" by none other than our own John Saunders. It's a book that let's you make a chess set out of paper.

Perhaps this is a solution for CfS?!!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 am

Kirstie Lapworth wrote:Holloid Plastics bi-weekly update although late, is expected next week. The delay is due to issues with photographs.
Another couple of weeks have gone by Kirstie so are there any movements on this one?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:I've just been browsing in a book shop and come across "Paper Chess" by none other than our own John Saunders. It's a book that let's you make a chess set out of paper.

Perhaps this is a solution for CfS?!!
Well, thanks for the plug, Sean, but unfortunately I was paid a flat fee for Paper Chess and wouldn't get any royalties were sales to increase. Writing the book was perhaps the hardest afternoon's work of my life. Yes, it took about that long (eat your heart out, Ray Keene and Ernie Wise). My part in it was to describe the basic rules of the game - someone called Kell Black described how to make chess pieces out of paper.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Mon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm

On a similar vein (well as John isn't going to get royalties...) perhaps this should be considered as the back up plan? ;)

http://www.josephwu.com/Files/PDF/chess.pdf

Kirstie Lapworth

Post by Kirstie Lapworth » Tue May 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Carl,

I am expecting the update today, and would hope to have it published before 5pm tonight.

Kirstie

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue May 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Go on - go on!!