Where are the chess sets?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
andrew martin

Where are the chess sets?

Postby andrew martin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:14 pm

I think some definite news is now needed. What do others think?

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 pm

andrew martin wrote:I think some definite news is now needed. What do others think?

Some positive "spin" is expected just before the AGM is it not?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Thomas
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Nick Thomas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:28 pm

andrew martin wrote:I think some definite news is now needed. What do others think?

The last thing we need is more news. It either comes from "official channels" and it is always misleading at the very least or it is speculation. The more "news" I read the less I seem to know. The less news I get the more I feel I know :!:

Mike Gunn
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Mike Gunn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 pm

I (representing the SCCU) will be voting to reject Chris Majer's report on Chess Sets for Schools. The SCCU has a more radical proposal lurking up it's sleeve but Chris has told us to expect good news so we're sitting on it for the time being ...

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:I (representing the SCCU) will be voting to reject Chris Majer's report on Chess Sets for Schools. The SCCU has a more radical proposal lurking up it's sleeve but Chris has told us to expect good news so we're sitting on it for the time being ...

At this point though what are we going to consider as good news?

A dribble of sets (let's say maybe a 1,000) even perhaps turn up at the AGM with them to spin things out further, then go quiet for another few months....

What are we expecting?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Sean Hewitt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Good news I think would be to hear one of two things

1) At least 10,000 sets have been produced, and more are being made as we speak

or

2) We are walking away from Holloid

The time for promises of good news "some time soon" has passed.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:28 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Good news I think would be to hear one of two things

1) At least 10,000 sets have been produced, and more are being made as we speak

or

2) We are walking away from Holloid

The time for promises of good news "some time soon" has passed.

I agree, you are spot on there Sean - however you probably won't be able to comment further if you get elected :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Sean Hewitt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Good news I think would be to hear one of two things

1) At least 10,000 sets have been produced, and more are being made as we speak

or

2) We are walking away from Holloid

The time for promises of good news "some time soon" has passed.

I agree, you are spot on there Sean - however you probably won't be able to comment further if you get elected :(


Whilst it is true that some things are confidential and should be kept so, if elected I shall be encouraging the board to be more open and transparent. I shall certainly still be on here!

andrew martin

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby andrew martin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 am

From Peter Wilson, sent to me yesterday.

Peter Wilson states :

"I was uncertain as to the current status of the 'Free Chess Sets' Project so arranged an informal meeting with Holloid's Project Manager (Caroline Morris). This was on 1st October. Caroline assured me that Holloid have purchased 100,000 plastic boards which were made in China. These are now stored at Holloid's premises in Basingstoke. At that time some 20 boxes - each of 10 sets, boards etc. - were at the ECF's Offices in Battle and available for schools who wished to collect their 10 sets. Holloid are proposing to distribute over 130 boxes - each of 10 sets, boards etc. to schools in SE England. The LEA for that area has agreed to distribute the sets to the schools. It is hoped that the distribution will be made during the next week. The success of the distribution will be evaluated. The current intention is to use other LEAs to distribute further sets.

Peter Wilson"

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 am

andrew martin wrote:From Peter Wilson, sent to me yesterday.

Peter Wilson states :

"I was uncertain as to the current status of the 'Free Chess Sets' Project so arranged an informal meeting with Holloid's Project Manager (Caroline Morris). This was on 1st October. Caroline assured me that Holloid have purchased 100,000 plastic boards which were made in China. These are now stored at Holloid's premises in Basingstoke. At that time some 20 boxes - each of 10 sets, boards etc. - were at the ECF's Offices in Battle and available for schools who wished to collect their 10 sets. Holloid are proposing to distribute over 130 boxes - each of 10 sets, boards etc. to schools in SE England. The LEA for that area has agreed to distribute the sets to the schools. It is hoped that the distribution will be made during the next week. The success of the distribution will be evaluated. The current intention is to use other LEAs to distribute further sets.

Peter Wilson"

As expected to be honest (at a rough count 1,500 sets) the week before the AGM, not a bad guess by me then :wink:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

andrew martin

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby andrew martin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 am

Well, as the distribution is supposed to be starting THIS WEEK it would not be unreasonable to ask which schools are getting the sets.

As I'm supposed to be organising the ' support package' which will try to raise large sums for junior chess funding, I would expect to receive this information. As yet, nothing.

I suppose the point is the ECF is going ahead with the support package anyway; it would just be so much more effective backed up by sets and effective communication.

This is possibly the single most important area the new ECF will have to look at; how to communicate with and relate to the needs of chessplayers young and old all over the country.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 1407
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 am

"This is possibly the single most important area the new ECF will have to look at; how to communicate with and relate to the needs of chessplayers young and old all over the country."

Absolutely right - but I would have thought that should have been the aim since 1904!
"You are unable to use it (forum) without rancour, unable to refrain from raising old grudges and continually bring it to the point where its owner has to remove posts which could be construed as defamatory of public figures." - P McKeown

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:42 pm

andrew martin wrote:This is possibly the single most important area the new ECF will have to look at; how to communicate with and relate to the needs of chessplayers young and old all over the country.

I would propose communicating between each other first (and a little planning...) as nobody seems to be doing that on this CFS fiasco - even my total guess as to what is going on is closer to the mark than any of the press releases so far!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
David Shepherd
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby David Shepherd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Think I must have been working too hard and seeing things - there seems to be a photo of crates of chess sets on the ECF website :)

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Postby Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:18 pm

David Shepherd wrote:Think I must have been working too hard and seeing things - there seems to be a photo of crates of chess sets on the ECF website :)

The day before the AGM is as expected really :shock:

holloid_load.jpg
holloid_load.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Return to “Chess Sets for Schools Project”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron