Free Chess Sets for schools

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Paul Bailey

Re: Free Chess Sets for schools

Post by Paul Bailey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:I find any negativity necesary and in most cases absolutely essential, when doing anything, as it then allows for better planning [... ] I like the whole idea in general, but I'm a bit shocked at how little notice was given to the general chess-playing public about this scheme, and the fact that we weren't able to debate the idea and iron out any potential flaws before it went ahead. There are some major issues mentioned above, for example, man-power, and the huge scale of the scheme, that probably should have been openly debated about. Good luck anyway...
I sort of agree but I don't think negativity is the right word. And I don't want to get bogged down in semantics which this post might provoke (oh dear). Constructive criticism is essential. If you're too open minded then your brain falls out. :?

ISTM we have a great opportunity here to spread and share our game amongst young people. I think you are absolutely right that there are major issues. This has been landed on us. This is far from ideal but it's up to us as a chess community whether we complain about that, stand on the sidelines watching others struggle, or participate and try to make this enormous opportunity work.

I suppose my concern is that the task may be so large as to be unmanageable - even with the best will in the world but It looks like Charles has a proven track record in getting lots of young people to play chess. How many of us can say that?

We certainly need constructive criticism but we also need participation.

Having said all that I'm still trying to take on board everything in Charles's reply to my post - it was a bit like that after the meeting we had.

I feel inspired but I'm not sure what to do next!

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Paul Bailey wrote:
Nigel Wright wrote:I find any negativity necesary and in most cases absolutely essential, when doing anything, as it then allows for better planning [... ] I like the whole idea in general, but I'm a bit shocked at how little notice was given to the general chess-playing public about this scheme, and the fact that we weren't able to debate the idea and iron out any potential flaws before it went ahead. There are some major issues mentioned above, for example, man-power, and the huge scale of the scheme, that probably should have been openly debated about. Good luck anyway...
I sort of agree but I don't think negativity is the right word. And I don't want to get bogged down in semantics which this post might provoke (oh dear). Constructive criticism is essential. If you're too open minded then your brain falls out. :?

ISTM we have a great opportunity here to spread and share our game amongst young people. I think you are absolutely right that there are major issues. This has been landed on us. This is far from ideal but it's up to us as a chess community whether we complain about that, stand on the sidelines watching others struggle, or participate and try to make this enormous opportunity work.

I suppose my concern is that the task may be so large as to be unmanageable - even with the best will in the world but It looks like Charles has a proven track record in getting lots of young people to play chess. How many of us can say that?

We certainly need constructive criticism but we also need participation.

Having said all that I'm still trying to take on board everything in Charles's reply to my post - it was a bit like that after the meeting we had.

I feel inspired but I'm not sure what to do next!
Hi Paul

the only thing everyone can do at the minute is get ready, as long as all the bits are in place we can move forward, without the four items I covered then there is no next step. As soon has that has happened we can put the Chess Association in touch with (in your case) the three LEAs.

FYI: the request for these four pieces of policy to be put in place is not a demmand by the ECF but standard requirement from the Council. To be blunt we should have already done this anyway if we run congress, tournaments, leagues (with juniors in) or coach juniors within our associations.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 pm

I'd love to teach chess. It would probably be my dream job, but I'm better at chess than I am at teaching and I'm not a particularly strong player (only 120ish). How would you go about this sort of thing? I wouldn't know how to structure a lesson, how to get the kids involved, how to keep them under control? The questions would be unending.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Greg Breed wrote:I'd love to teach chess. It would probably be my dream job, but I'm better at chess than I am at teaching and I'm not a particularly strong player (only 120ish). How would you go about this sort of thing? I wouldn't know how to structure a lesson, how to get the kids involved, how to keep them under control? The questions would be unending.
Well thats a little easy these days, now that the RA Certification Programme has coaches notes are included in the book, even I can use it. As for holding their attention. IM Andrew Martin and Nick Nixon are probably the two best coaches I know, they use many different styles and get the kids hanging off every word. Watch them and learn some great ways to do coaching, I do.
Last edited by Charles W. Wood on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Donna Wood

Post by Donna Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:I find any negativity necesary and in most cases absolutely essential, when doing anything, as it then allows for better planning to try and overcome any negative aspects. I like the whole idea in general, but I'm a bit shocked at how little notice was given to the general chess-playing public about this scheme, and the fact that we weren't able to debate the idea and iron out any potential flaws before it went ahead. There are some major issues mentioned above, for example, man-power, and the huge scale of the scheme, that probably should have been openly debated about. Good luck anyway...
I am astonished that in the 21st Century there are still people who feel that negativity is essential to progress and move forward??? How can anything be achieved with such a negative attitude? I know how to play chess, though do not particularly enjoy the game, and find that spending 3 hours playing a waste of valuable time that could be spent doing something constructive, however after getting involved with Charles and listening to his idea's of how he wanted to develop chess and take it to the kids who wouldn't normally get the opportunity to learn, his enthusiasm and excitement was infectious, I supported him wholeheartedly. Then The Renaissance Academy was born, and he came up with the idea of running tournaments, for these kids that he had been teaching, again supporting him fully we did and I met these kids. Some of them from poor backgrounds, some from homeless shelters with criminal records, and I have seen over the last 12 months how their lives have changed for the better.

Then just before Christmas he came to me again with the idea of 250,000 chess sets after the ECF had advised of how these had come about and what they wanted to achieve, it seemed huge in comparison to everything else he had done, but again I supported him and encouraged him and he has secured the haulage to distribute these sets and contacted all of the LEA's and most of the chess bods to co-ordinate the whole affair. We discussed him giving up work and working for the benefit of chess full time, again he has my full support. The more support and positivity he receives the better he becomes, and to be honest that's how people and companies work. The better support and praise people receive the better they work. Negativity breeds doubt!

With the support for the ECF and Charles I know this project will work but small minded people need to either step to one side whilst they are proved wrong or move forward with the times, we live in a world where anything can happen, and whilst chess to me is not the most exciting game in the world, it has benefits. As I have said negative people step aside, the ECF is moving up and forward in the world, and if you don't get on board now and support the ECF you will be left behind as there is no room here for you.

On a personal note, I am proud of what Charles has achieved, I am proud of Gerry Walsh and Cynthia and the office staff who are all on hand, anytime help or advice is needed. They work together as a team, and only a team of positive and like minded people will make this work.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:02 pm

This has to work, imagine if it didn't. :(
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Donna Wood

Post by Donna Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:This has to work, imagine if it didn't. :(
This will work, you have an amazing team behind you and I have every confidence that in 12 months time, chess will be in every school, and we'll be busier than we could have ever imagined :D

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:00 pm

One question - what sort of sets are these? Presumably not the normal plastic sets used by most clubs.
How tall are the kings, what is the size of the squares on the board?
Is there a picture somewhere on the web of the sets?

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:One question - what sort of sets are these? Presumably not the normal plastic sets used by most clubs.
How tall are the kings, what is the size of the squares on the board?
Is there a picture somewhere on the web of the sets?
Good Question: They are tournament quality Staunton Chess Sets with a stanard 3.75 inch king, the board is green and white 7mm thick solid plastic, (no bends or folds). Top Quality stuff. :D
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:19 pm

I can include an image (uploaded here) if you have one
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Great to hear that they are good quality sets. :D

I see that our School's MP (Tom Brake) has said we should contact him to find out how to get a set. "If any school would like to receive these free chess sets then please contact Tom Brake's constituency office urgently on 020 8255 8155." (http://www.tombrake.co.uk/index.html)

How are schools being told about the offer to make sure they hear?

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:05 pm

I didn't think schools had to ask for the sets?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:Great to hear that they are good quality sets. :D

I see that our School's MP (Tom Brake) has said we should contact him to find out how to get a set. "If any school would like to receive these free chess sets then please contact Tom Brake's constituency office urgently on 020 8255 8155." (http://www.tombrake.co.uk/index.html)

How are schools being told about the offer to make sure they hear?
Like all good plans schools are being hit from many angles, MP's are writing to them to ask them to register though the ECF office, also the DfES and NAHT are writing to schools to inform them of the scheme, all the LEA's are informing schools too, and then finally Skills Councils and Open College are the last wave. Unless I make another last wave.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:I didn't think schools had to ask for the sets?
My hundreth post, wow I've only been here a week and a half. They are being asked to request them so we can find out how many already run chess clubs and so they can show that they are keen and will use them. There are enough for every school and every school will get them as the Extended Schools agencies will be running the clubs so they are getting them, we like to ask first. Its just nice. :)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I can include an image (uploaded here) if you have one
I have the prototype here at my house, but its not the finished item. In two weeks I will have the first of the real thing a picture will follow in minutes. Mine is the right size just the wrong colours as raw plastic colour has been left in the mix. :roll:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion