Chess For Schools and TV programme

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Paul Stimpson

Chess For Schools and TV programme

Post by Paul Stimpson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 pm

If this really is going to happen and 250,000 sets are going to be delivered to schools up and down the country, many to Schools with children who have never played chess before. Is this the time to lobby for a chess programme like "Play Chess" by Harston in the 1980's.

If we can back up a request for this with the figures above then surely someone will sit up and take notice. Surely this is a chance not to be missed? I doubt we could get chess back on to TV without first a mini series like this. Something like 6 or 7 10 minute slots, perhaps leading to a regular monthly? slot covering major championships with British interest?

Worth a thought at least.

Charles W. Wood

Re: Chess For Schools and TV programme

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Paul Stimpson wrote:If this really is going to happen and 250,000 sets are going to be delivered to schools up and down the country, many to Schools with children who have never played chess before. Is this the time to lobby for a chess programme like "Play Chess" by Harston in the 1980's.

If we can back up a request for this with the figures above then surely someone will sit up and take notice. Surely this is a chance not to be missed? I doubt we could get chess back on to TV without first a mini series like this. Something like 6 or 7 10 minute slots, perhaps leading to a regular monthly? slot covering major championships with British interest?

Worth a thought at least.
I think your right, but not just TV, Radio has been done in the past, and the TV on the Internet this is an area that people like Andrew Martin IM excel. I think something on the internet done by Claire Summerscale and Andrew Martin IM in partnership with other coaches would make for a well watched peice by many schools across England and the world. I hope someone with the right contacts starts the ball rolling.

:shock:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion