Questions without answers

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
andrew martin

Questions without answers

Post by andrew martin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:20 pm

There were many things that really upset me and made my position untenable as CFS Director,but perhaps the most irritating is the following; well I found it so.

On Aug 19th Gerry Walsh sent an email to schools where he announced that the ' production of the sets was in full swing'

More and more schools continue to apply for the sets to this present day as a direct result of this letter. My inbox was getting flooded with these applications and queries about where the sets were. To me that is appalling.

Gerry may have been misled by others as to the status of the sets, but he should have checked what he was saying was true. Otherwise the statement is blatantly false; well I could not associate myself with it.

How do you view this statement in the light of what we know?

Another thing that was bugged me was the decision to sever all links with the forum. No strong organisation needs to limit free speech. I asked Chris Majer directly which potential sponsors had been lost as a result of postings on the forum ( a minuted comment ). His response : ' I prefer not to record such things' .

That is just not good enough from a CEO. So I ask again, which?

I could go on and on about the atrocious handling of this affair, but the fact is that there are several board members whose work and approach I admire and I am loyal to them. They don't deserve this flak.

It may also interest you to know that NOT ONCE was I contacted by Gerry Walsh after gaining the directorship to keep me in the loop about Holloid . As a President, he must be one of the worst communicators I have ever met . I think he has little respect for his fellow board members; he is happy solely to maintain his own position at any price.

Things have to change in English Chess and the sooner,the better.

Andrew

JustinHorton

Re: Questions without answers

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm

andrew martin wrote:There were many things that really upset me and made my position untenable as CFS Director,but perhaps the most irritating is the following; well I found it so.

On Aug 19th Gerry Walsh sent an email to schools where he announced that the ' production of the sets was in full swing'
Andrew - do you have a copy of this email?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:27 pm

andrew martin wrote: Another thing that was bugged me was the decision to sever all links with the forum. No strong organisation needs to limit free speech. I asked Chris Majer directly which potential sponsors had been lost as a result of postings on the forum ( a minuted comment ). His response : ' I prefer not to record such things' .
I know it's a very minor silver light but it makes me feel better thanks :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Thank you for the info Andrew - it comes as no surprise to me personally.

I agree, things have to change!

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm

The same email is minuted here on the ' Any News' thread on Page One

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Andrew - I assume you mean this one quoted by Neill Cooper?
Neill Cooper wrote:Our school got the following email during the summer holidays:

> Dear Head Teacher,
>
> Thank you for your response to our campaign to provide schools with ten
> free chess sets, I'm delighted to say that your application has been
> successful and your school is now entered on our distribution database.
>
> Production of the sets is now in full swing and delivery is scheduled to
> commence in September/October 2008. The delivery will take place from
> central distribution points and this may take up to a year.
>
> You will be notified nearer to the time when you may expect delivery of
> your sets.
>
> This is just an update to keep you informed.
>
> Gerry Walsh
> President English Chess Federation
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Can you see why I might start to get wound up?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Indeed.

Thanks. It's useful to have specific dates for specific information.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Martin Regan wrote:As for the forum. I had always been of the view that it should not be "official" , but only so the ECF could distance itself from the more spicy posters. Blanking it completely was an error.

For what it is worth Carl, the complaints that it was losing us sponsorship came from those involved in the schools project - and I was never able to get them to provide evidence. Rather it seemed an excuse to hide failure.
The "official" status was (for the record only...) to specify a "grading forum" and I take full responsibility for evolving it into what it has become - at the time however this elevation in status was cleared by the ECF as a good and positive step, only when the posts became critical and this is the point NOT RESPONDED TO did it even become a problem

Clearly if the ECF has responded with clear and valid information then I would have also followed that line as official

The sponsorship "issues" never existed and why anyone swallowed that line is beyond me
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:32 pm

I thought it might be interesting to see the original statement concerning the "Free Chess sets For Schools" project released in February 2008. I checked the wonderfull and magical Way Back Machine and came up with this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/200802091451 ... _feb08.htm
Gerry Walsh master-minded the whole event and it was good to see him on first-name terms with so many MPs
:oops: :lol: :shock:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:37 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:I thought it might be interesting to see the original statement concerning the "Free Chess sets For Schools" project released in February 2008. I checked the wonderfull and magical Way Back Machine and came up with this link:

Gerry Walsh master-minded the whole event and it was good to see him on first-name terms with so many MPs
Lets be clear I do still support the ECF but this has gone beyond a joke and clearly leaving it in limbo is a huge mistake

I do feel sorry for Chris (we have a good relationship...) but something has to be done on this one
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:I thought it might be interesting to see the original statement concerning the "Free Chess sets For Schools" project released in February 2008. I checked the wonderfull and magical Way Back Machine and came up with this link:

It is still there on the actual ECF website! Go to the ECF home page, click on the first "...more" under the heading of 25 [I've removed the 0,000 to give a more accurate figure] Free Chess Sets for Schools, and you will find

"The gathering, at the House of Commons on Monday 17th December, of many juniors who had recently represented England at various World events provided us with the opportunity to make a formal announcement that the "Chess sets in schools" project would be under way in early 2008 with some 250,000 sets and boards being produced during 2008. Gerry Walsh master-minded the whole event and it was good to see him on first-name terms with so many MPs. The Minister for Sport was presented with a set of prototype pieces by Holloid Plastics Limited." http://www.bcf.org.uk/chess4schools/index.htm

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:49 am

The point is : who is electing and re-electing these people into office?

A new ticket has to be drawn up based on:

a) Accountability

b) Unification - we have to get the many talented individuals and organisations working together for the good of English Chess

c) Assessment and reform- the way the ECF ticks needs to be looked at closely and if necessary,changed

d) Communication - a new ECF has to respect the members and inform them about what it is doing

e) Sympathy and support- providing a good environment for our professionals, so it is possible to make a living from chess in England without having to struggle

f) Relief - board meetings would be shortened :lol:

A talented team could sort all this out and more AND deliver the Chess for Schools project.

I've probably missed out a lot,but this would be a good starting manifesto.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 am

Well blow be down with a plastic injection molding thingy....still there?????? Are you sure? Do those chaps at the ECF know do you think? Last place I would have thought to look.... :wink:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 am

I'd agree with much of that, Andrew, but how would you go about (e)?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com