Peter Wilson's election address

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Keith Arkell

Re: Peter Wilson's election address

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Well,whenever a conscientious,selfless hard worker enters the fray it can only be a good thing,so I congratulate Stewart Reuben on his choice to groom Lawrence Cooper as his(eventual) successor as International Director. Currently ''Alternate'' Director,I hope that when the time comes,Laurence will receive the necessary support.

Regarding Peter Wilson,all I can say is that in the areas in which I have dealt with him I don't have anything to complain about.He arbited competently at Coulsdon,and he organised and administered the Southend GM event competently(although the jury is still out when it comes to the time it is taking him to sort out the ''Best game prize'',but perhaps that is because...the jury is still out!)

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm

And I have now learnt that the jury is indeed still out,so I can't even ascribe that tiny fault to Peter.

I'm not interested in getting involved in any of this,but why are we attacking someone who gives his time to chess for free,and who at the very least,I happen to know,secured 28K for the 5 Spiegel memorials at Southend?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 am

Keith,
I am slightly confused by your comments. The Southend Tournament secured sponsorship because Jack Spiegel was the uncle of Cliff Stanford, the founder of Demon Internet. I fail to see what this has to do with Peter Wilson.
It seems that the Guernsey Chess Federation has severed its links with Peter Wilson and I believe it would be helpful to understand why Peter and the Guernsey Chess Federation have felt it necessary to part company before Welcoming Peter into the ECF organisation with open arms. I hope Peter will be able to clarify the circumstances so that we can move forward productively.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Matthew,

Peter sees the sponsorship issue differently to you.

Re Guernsey he has given me a very justifiable explanation of his actions.

He would like to speak to you privately because he is very restricted about what he can say publicly.

That's it from me on this - the last thing I want is to end up being a go-between! I only wanted to express some pleasantries regarding my own personal dealings with Peter.

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Matthew wrote
It seems that the Guernsey Chess Federation has severed its links with Peter Wilson and I believe it would be helpful to understand why Peter and the Guernsey Chess Federation have felt it necessary to part company before Welcoming Peter into the ECF organisation with open arms. I hope Peter will be able to clarify the circumstances so that we can move forward productively.
Matthew
Peter explained this to Council when he first stood for election as Marketing Director and was duly elected.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am

Keith,
Peter is welcome to send me a personal message here, or he can send an E-mail to me at [email protected]
He has every right to put his side of the story and I can assure him that anything he says will be in strict confidence.
Matt