Can schools play chess without chess sets?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:12 pm

A local secondary school for the first time ever entered the Naional Schools events. The one snag was that they had no chess sets.
They played their first match on computers, and lost all games within 10 minutes. I think they would have been wiser spending the entry fee on sets but they presumably assumed the free sets would be arriving.

Matthew Turner

Re: Can schools play chess without chess sets?

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:20 pm

I actually have limited sympathy for a school that enter a chess competition when they don't have any chess sets - isn't that a little bit silly? but given that they did, perhaps it would have been worth asking the opposition to bring the chess sets?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 am

Playing chess on computers sounds like a sensible innovation for primary school chess. No more illegal moves.

From the basics of the story it sounds as if the real question should not be "should you enter a national competition without sets?", but "should you enter a national competition before your players have learnt how to play the game?"

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Their team was made up of year 7s who had (I presume) played chess at primary school. They did ask the opposition to bring boards, which they did do (but not sets).

Paul Stimpson

Post by Paul Stimpson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Gerry Walsh is researching this :)