Latest sets production solution

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
John Upham

Latest sets production solution

Post by John Upham » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Keeping my ears firmly to the ground (hoping for a post December 15th update) has revealed the latest (and possibly the craziest) solution to our lack of sets woes.

A board member recently suggested (I won't embarrass the suggestee(?)) the following wonderful idea :

The ECF should utilise the UKs prison population to move on from the sewing and production of GPO mail bags to the production of chess sets for schools. :lol: :shock:

Near to myself, every monday morning at 10am I am reminded of the nearby home of the likes of Peter Sutcliffe and Dennis Andrew Nielsen due to the sounding of the Broadmoor siren. Maybe they could use the siren to signal the start of production? 8)

I kid you not! :roll:

I await your feedback on this fantastic (yes, the use of the word fantastic is appropriate for once) development.

I have asked the Basingstoke Two (DA and CM) for a post visit update.
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Re: Latest sets production solution

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:37 pm

John Upham wrote:The ECF should utilise the UKs prison population to move on up from the production of GPO mail bags to the production of chess sets for schools. :lol: :shock:
Is it April 1st then?

Any sign of the Marketing Director appearing or commenting on this fiasco then?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Any sign of the Marketing Director appearing or commenting on this fiasco then?
None at all and since he won't reply to any email enquiries from myself I doubt very much if PJBW will respond to this forum. Hopefully the DoM will contribute to this forum following the next AGM / EGM :wink:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:33 pm

The Director Of Marketing is currently playing in both the morning and afternoon tournaments at Hastings, so he is definitely findable over the next few days.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:51 pm

FM Jack Rudd wrote:The Director Of Marketing is currently playing in both the morning and afternoon tournaments at Hastings, so he is definitely findable over the next few days.

Perhaps an announcement over the Tannoy would be appropriate?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 am

John Upham wrote: I have asked the Basingstoke Two (DA and CM) for a post visit update.
I received a reply from CM to the effect that a statement would be agreed with HP to be published on the ECF site once the schools have returned.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 pm

So a further two-week holding delay.

This could have been the finest hour of the ECF and can still work, but really, one cannot go on for ever demoralizing all one's potential allies by not actually saying what is happening.

Andrew

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 pm

The problem this time will be the boards
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:53 am

John Upham wrote:Keeping my ears firmly to the ground (hoping for a post December 15th update) has revealed the latest (and possibly the craziest) solution to our lack of sets woes.

A board member recently suggested (I won't embarrass the suggestee(?)) the following wonderful idea :

The ECF should utilise the UKs prison population to move on from the sewing and production of GPO mail bags to the production of chess sets for schools. :lol: :shock:

Near to myself, every monday morning at 10am I am reminded of the nearby home of the likes of Peter Sutcliffe and Dennis Andrew Nielsen due to the sounding of the Broadmoor siren. Maybe they could use the siren to signal the start of production? 8)

I kid you not! :roll:

I await your feedback on this fantastic (yes, the use of the word fantastic is appropriate for once) development.

I have asked the Basingstoke Two (DA and CM) for a post visit update.
Aren't the serial killers mentioned the Yorkshire Ripper and the Black Panther both from Bradford. Could that be the start of something?

All I did was my best, but the world changed and so did the ECF Board (thank god) but that change stopped the sponsorship deals in the pipe line. Why you ask...... Well because one of the biggest selling points about this whole project was how many people were interested in it. So I did tell every (and I mean EVERY) possible sponsor to "Google" "250000 Chess Sets" try it and see. You will at some point end up here, infact right to this very post. Yes the fact that the MAIN Sponsors Sales Director ended up posting was nothing to most, he had just lost £30k from a large Banking company because of the coverage of the Mass resignations and told you all so at the time. But I managed to keep the Sponsor who was in charge of me in place right until a competitor became my boss. I have still have no problem with IM Andrew Martin but the Renaissance Academy Board and Potential Board do have problems with a competitor being my boss.

So Evidence of Sponsorship lose is really easy but I still believe all the forum people was (or Where) right to post is down to free speech, and I believe that was for the team to work around. It proved harder than you will ever believe. My shelf life was only 10 Months from the start date of the 17th December 2007 but I think I ended up over that due to my passion for the possible outcomes.

Now I only do whats on my doorstep and internationally.(Without England and the ECF)

If you guys want to know who went by the wayside due to this Forum, it was Parcel Force. But to this day it was only because I hadn't warned them what strange people chess players are, GOD forbid Parcel Force had met some. If you want to know what I mean just look at what your writing and what follows this post.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 am

Charles W. Wood wrote:If you guys want to know who went by the wayside due to this Forum, it was Parcel Force. But to this day it was only because I hadn't warned them what strange people chess players are, GOD forbid Parcel Force had met some. If you want to know what I mean just look at what your writing and what follows this post.
It's early in the morning Charles but I am still not clear how this forum can be seen as responsible for the loss of such a sponsor?

I am still personally very keen to see evidence of this being the case

I presume you mean just coverage of mass resignation at Holloid was the turning point?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 am

Charles I have yet to see any evidence that ANY sponsors werer lost because of comments on the forum. I mean actual not possible sponsors. The main reason that possible sponsors have disappeared is because there are NO chess sets. Indeed if plans were actually in place for distribution at the much publicised start date then I assume there is a huge stock of boxes ready somewhere for the chess sets!!
Please do not take my comments and those of others on the forum as being anti 'Chess Sets for Schools Project', our wish for the New Year would be for the project to get underway and be a great success. We are embarressed at what has occured and by the lack of communication from the ECF.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 am

Peter Turner wrote:Please do not take my comments and those of others on the forum as being anti 'Chess Sets for Schools Project', our wish for the New Year would be for the project to get underway and be a great success. We are embarressed at what has occured and by the lack of communication from the ECF.
Why information regarding the CFS project remains so secret is totally beyond me :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:51 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: Why information regarding the CFS project remains so secret is totally beyond me :roll:
However Carl, I don't think it is beyond Walsh & Wilson!

GFW is seeing the ticket to "his" OBE / Knighthood go up in smoke and I'm really not sure what PJBW is seeing or has seen. :shock:

It is clear why they and their few remaining supporters wish this thing to remain off any agendi(?).

I'm sure CSfS is always tabled under AOB at any meetings : "let us spend six hours discussing dull points of order and then no-one will have the energy to discuss important matters". Don't forget there are many chess persons who live purely to attend committee meetings and pick through meeting minutes with anal attentiveness : I've met many of them!

I've started talking with hardened southern GFW fans (the kind that would vote for him no matter what : "don't forget that GFW achieved something in 1972") and even they are wilting under the pressure. Time will surely tell... :wink:

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Playing devils advocate for a second, why would anyone on here expect to be presented with evidence that this forum is the reason certain sponsors walked away? What constitutes evidence?

In my experience, if a such a deal is not successfully concluded the likelihood is that you only receive verbal reasons at best. How can that be evidenced except by a statement from someone involved?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 pm

John Upham wrote: I've started talking with hardened southern GFW fans (the kind that would vote for him no matter what : "don't forget that GFW achieved something in 1972") and even they are wilting under the pressure. Time will surely tell... :wink:
He has fans !! :lol:
Keep talking with them John, I am sure you can convert them :wink: