Update on Project?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
David Bentley

Re: Update on Project?

Post by David Bentley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 am

Question from a possible sponsor and friend of the Badge Project to manufacturer.
The Badge project which is a super duper idea that isn't going to cost anybody a penny.
Question, Could these badges have a picture of Cocoa The Clown on them?
Cocoa the Clown, the graphic vagrant clown who wanders through the back alleys of a city engulfed by urban decay; eating trash, making silly promises and pondering his inner desires. He delivers his dissociative passages through three panel tales of press releases that read as though they were journal entries of a schizophrenic.
If they can, I will have ten, as long as they are delivered to my door FOC.
Truth Before Tact

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:51 pm

All people interested in the free badge project (Emma's dad so far)

Send me £100 (sponsorship) and I will arrange for your 10 badges to be delivered completely free of charge to your door (via the ECF who must collect them from my door). I will put Coco The Clown or Hot Chocolate The Jester or any other thing you want on them (although colour badges incur an extra £100 sponsorship). I intend to begin production tonight when the good telly stuff finishes.....

AM you spend too much time on youtube :!:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:17 pm

So what is all this phase 1 bit?

"ECF will be responsible for arranging distribution of the sets from Holloid to the schools. We anticipate that this would start during the school summer term, most likely in May. Final confirmation of the number of pallets of sets to be delivered per week will depend on the way in which we package the sets. Once this is confirmed we can then work out the number of truck movements, etc. Phase 1 will be to deliver 100,000 sets to the first 10,000 schools who have signed up. We will then together review the process and work on Phase 2."
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 pm

The gentleman specifically requested Cocoa
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Bentley

Post by David Bentley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Breaker One Nine Breaker One Nine
No No No, Cocoa The Clown, negatory on Coco the Clown, he's dead as well though. Mind you everybody admits that. Very funy act. HIS comedy was intentional.
Badges for Schools, brilliant idea, lets call it BS for short. I will sponsor that right now. Will a Co-oP check be alright ( I know the money type is cheque ). It's in the post tonight, same post as the chess sets.
I'll pay for 500,000. No make that 250,000. Perhaps that's a lot, how about, say, ten.
OK then, two.
Catch you later good buddies, ten four and may the birds of paradise fly up your nose. ( drug talk for taking cocaine, somebody must be)
Its not a transport or PR firm needed now, Its Harry Houdini.
Truth Before Tact

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:49 pm

emma bentleys dad wrote:Its not a transport or PR firm needed now, Its Harry Houdini.
Yes I noticed that, the comments from the PR firm should be worth a laugh :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am

What is 'new' about the new statement, well it strikes me that there are three things which are mildly positive

1. The initial 500 sets will be distributed around Hampshire. This is obviously more efficient than a lottery. It will also have more involvement from Holloid and potentially be more beneficial for them, because they can hopefully generate local publicity.

2. The new owner is prepared to be associated with a press release (I do wish this would go on their own website).

3. Holloid are employing a PR agent - this is not going to be cheap, so demonstrates at least a certain level of commitment.

OK, so this might not add up to a great deal, but it's a start.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am

If a horse is nearly dead you dont keep on flogging it. You put it away and hope it can race another day. Surely this should be applied to the CfS.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:03 pm

It's a pity that David Robertson has not posted. I'd like to read what he has to say. The recent news is positive.

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream
of what I need

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 am

Is that Queen Simon?
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 am

Just realised its Bonnie Tyler I need a hero, also in the Shrek film(by Frou Frou)

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:10 am

Ben Purton wrote:Is that Queen Simon?
Its; I need a Hero - Several Artists.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am

I think this is going to be the song for my involvement in the project. Watch this space.

David Bentley

Post by David Bentley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 am

I have now received a reply from the CEO regarding my offer of the 5th inst. The total contents are of course confidential. Having said that the outline I feel free to write about is in part is a suggestion that the challenge is now the delivery of 100,000 ( one hundred thousand ) chess sets and I am informed my estate car will not be big enough. If someone has a slide rule could they let me know the dimensions of 100,000 chess boards a millimetre thick x 45cm square and 200,000 10cm cubes approx. The pieces are better loose in bags but it gives a rough idea. I think a container or two should do it.

I have close contacts with haulage contractors. In fact one of them services my Rolls. I would be happy to make enquiries on behalf of the ECF. This is not the first time I have offered help to save money.
No mention of dates of delivery yet, but I will ask the police for a movement order to have all the traffic on the M1 stopped to accommodate this mammoth task and I may ask Eddie Stobart to clear his desk and get ready.

I have offered secure storage for these sets & boards FOC, seriously.

I do not, I really really do not wish to be facetious or negative but, I think I will pencil this delivery in the diary for about the same day as Lord Nelson gets his eye back.

Is it possible that if the company involved, I am not sure of the actual company name that made the offer or even if that company still exists, were relieved of their obligation with thanks and admitted that the economy has gone pear shaped and that if a school cannot afford a few chess sets and boards it will not be the end of the world, could life then go on as normal.

There, that’s positive and pretty upbeat isn’t it. My next posting on this fiasco will be when someone is told the sets are at the factory gates waiting to be picked up. In the meantime I have now to drive two hours to pay a real supplier for the last lot we gave away.
Sorry we now only give to the Sheffield & District area or within the County of Derbyshire.

E&OE. FOB.

Regards to all.
David Bentley
Truth Before Tact