Wilson's School Launch

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Neill Cooper

Re: Wilson's School Launch

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I would be interested to know who turned up on Saturday from Holloid and the ECF and who gave the Simul.
Caroline Morris turned up along with someone else to take photos and help out

As has already been mentioned, we used a strong junior (Anand Krishnan) for the simul.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I have a pdf of the Chess for Schools Report handed out at yesterday's MCCU AGM which I can email to anyone who wants it
Yes please!
Who produced it?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Neill,
Who was there from the ECF?
Mick has forwarded me the information which is from Chris Majer - to be honest it doesn't really say a awful lot.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Who was there from the ECF?
Chris Majer and Peter Wilson

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:42 pm

I have heard that some schools did not come as teachers did not want to give up their Saturday afternoon.
Whilst I have some sympathy, does that mean they will be willing to give up even half an hour a week at lunchtime or after school to run a chess club? Presumably they would not use the ECF Certificate of Merit scheme, now matter how easy to use.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:I have heard that some schools did not come as teachers did not want to give up their Saturday afternoon.
Whilst I have some sympathy, does that mean they will be willing to give up even half an hour a week at lunchtime or after school to run a chess club? Presumably they would not use the ECF Certificate of Merit scheme, now matter how easy to use.
In my experience of schools around here, that question has a one word answer: No

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 am

A lady that I swim with happened to be there on saturday with her son and knew that I was involved with chess, so approached me today. She said what a great event it was and that her son's school were thrilled with their new sets.

Well done to Wilson's School and Neill.

Claire

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 pm

"My understanding is that the ECF office was responsible for inviting all the schools"

My understanding is that Holloid decided which schools would be invited (as obviously they also have a list of the applicants) and then asked ECF to send out the invitations - whether that is the same as Neill thinks is another matter! Apparently Caroline Morris (Holloid's Project Manager for the scheme) did apologise for the rather short notice given to the journalists. I also understand that the sets that were distributed were without weights and felt, unlike the prototypes. The financial problems probably forced that. Caroline Morris represented Holloid at the event and Chris Majer represented ECF, Peter Wilson was there, but only as he asked if he could attend!

I do occasionally get accused of being "negative", but I do think the truth is important. I am glad that schools are getting sets and hope more children start playing chess (or continue to do so). It will be interesting to see how successful the two distributions scheduled for July are.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:39 pm

The invitations to schools are being managed by Kirstie Lapworth who is working from the ECF Office in a temporary assignment dedicated to Chess for Schools. She is very keen and very helpful. We have been chatting about the integration of the invited schools list and the CoM application.

We have agreed (and I have discussed this thoroughly with Chris Majer) that as schools receive their sets and register for the support package (£35 per school) they will be added as an organisation to the CoM application. This will allow each school to manage its own student registration, purchase CoM credits for them from the ECF Shop (not yet working : Andrew and Duncan working on this) and allocate to their students as they see fit.

I have asked for things to happen that weren't and they are now are.

We have made good progress in the last few days and I'm grateful for the help I've received from

Andrew Martin, Chris Majer, Duncan Burbidge, Andrew Walker, Kirstie Lapworth and Caroline Morris. :D

Everyone is working hard to make this project work and I am totally on board.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 pm

John Upham wrote,
"We have agreed (and I have discussed this thoroughly with Chris Majer) that as schools receive their sets and register for the support package (£35 per school)"

I thought this idea had gone by the wayside. Can we just clarify again!! do Schools have to pay £35 to receive their support package in order to get their free sets?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Schools can take their sets and run and there is no cost for doing that : they are free, gratis and there are no strings attached. :D

Optionally they (or anyone else who has not had free sets) can purchase the CoM DVD (produced by ChessBase / Andrew Martin) plus the accompanying booklet (produced by Andrew Martin). This is £15.

Optionally, (having taken free sets) they can register for the Support package. This includes the DVD, the booklet, access to the CoM scheme with starter credits (the number of which is TBA), plus additional materials that I am finding out about. The total for this option is £35. :D I believe that this is small beer for what they will be getting.

Bottom line :

The sets are free if the schools only want them and nothing else.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for that John. Any idea when we might see the press release on the Wilson's School event from Holloid? and any details of the July 8th event yet?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Matthew,

Caroline Morris is handling all PR and marketing matters on behalf of Holloid Plastics.

AFAIK, there is no involvement from the ECF Director of Marketing although he did request to attend the Wilsons launch which was agreed to.

I will put your question to Caroline Matthew.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 pm

John Upham wrote:Optionally they (or anyone else who has not had free sets) can purchase the CoM DVD (produced by ChessBase / Andrew Martin) plus the accompanying booklet (produced by Andrew Martin). This is £15.

Optionally, (having taken free sets) they can register for the Support package. This includes the DVD, the booklet, access to the CoM scheme with starter credits (the number of which is TBA), plus additional materials that I am finding out about. The total for this option is £35. :D I believe that this is small beer for what they will be getting.
So any school can purchase the DVD and the booklet, but only schools which have received their free sets can puechase the full Support package. Is that right?

Why can't any school which is prepared to pay the £35 sign up for the Support package as soon as it's available?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: So any school can purchase the DVD and the booklet, but only schools which have received their free sets can purchase the full Support package. Is that right?

Why can't any school which is prepared to pay the £35 sign up for the Support package as soon as it's available?
Why oh why indeed David. I suggest you direct your enquiry to Chris Majer who may wish to clarify matters.