Wilson's School Launch

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Matthew Turner

Re: Wilson's School Launch

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Schools cannot buy the support package because it doesn't exist. Let's get it completed (I suggest CoM credits will prove to be troublesome) before we try to sell it.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I have just received the following Press Release from the English Cheese Federation

You were one of the first 9,000 Schools to apply to join the Chess For Schools Initiative, eighteen months ago. You will appreciate that the logistics of distributing almost 100,000 free chess sets is highly complex, but you will be pleased to learn that after a highly successful launch at Wilson's School the first 19 Schools have received their free sets. Further launches are planned in July and major distribution events will begin at the start of the new School Year in September.
In the meantime, you will be interested to learn that the ECF is producing an accompanying resources pack with lots of information on establishing a School Chess Club. The pack includes a teaching DVD and credits for the all new Certificate of Merit, a state of the art interactive, Internet based, testing and accreditation program. The resources packs will be available at the beginning of August. If you want to start the new School Year with an active Chess Club, which will both stimulate and entertain your students, then act now and reserve your Chess for Schools Resources pack by sending a cheque for £35 to,
E.C.F.
P.O. Box 3478
Palace Esplanade
Lagos
Nigeria

Seems genuine enough?

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:39 pm

How did you get the address of my second home?

Damn!

The building of that moat was going so well.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I feel so stupid sending my money off now. I was concerned that the ECF was based in Lagos, that E-mail was headed the English Cheese Company and that I hadn't actually applied for any sets. However, it was only after I put my cheque in the post that I realised that the total value of Holloid Plastics according creditsafe was only £280,000 (Fergus Christie), so it was highly unlikely that they would be giving away 90,000 free sets at a cost of £2.50 each since this would take 80% of the company's equity. It's so easy to overlook these little things, but I have certainly learned my lesson.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 pm

I've sent my money via Western Union to ensure that there will be no delays in me receiving the material !

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 pm

I feel so stupid sending my money off now. I was concerned that the ECF was based in Lagos, that E-mail was headed the English Cheese Company and that I hadn't actually applied for any sets. However, it was only after I put my cheque in the post that I realised that the total value of Holloid Plastics according creditsafe was only £280,000 (Fergus Christie), so it was highly unlikely that they would be giving away 90,000 free sets at a cost of £2.50 each since this would take 80% of the company's equity. It's so easy to overlook these little things, but I have certainly learned my lesson.
Matthew

I find your postings somewhat tiresome. You seem determined to do anything you can to wreck this project. One wonders about your motives. I shall solely concern myself with this piece of drivel.

Any comments that Fergus might make about Holloid should be seen in the light of:
1) Fergus works for a competitor company.
2) Fergus can have no knowledge of the current financing of Holloid.
As has been pointed out previously, Henning van Spreckelsen has acquired the company and is expanding its business.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:54 am

Chris,
I am really posing one question, Is outside finance required for this project to proceed? The Holloid website is very unclear on this.
Why am I making this point?
Well, the ECF is know employing Kirstie Lapworth to administer the project, countless hours have been spent on meetings, thousand of DVDs have been produced, money has been spent producing a booklet to acccompany the product. I wonder how much this is all costing. I am guessing £20,000 (it is difficult to quantify and I may be way out). So far we have had 180 or 190 'free' chess sets distributed, so that is £100 per free set. If further finance is required for the project to proceed (as it surely must be) then there seems to be a significant risk that these free sets will turn out to be very expensive.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:26 am

"You seem determined to do anything you can to wreck this project."

Oh I see - it's all Matthew's fault! Are you responsible for this heatwave as well? I can see you now, lurking in your secret lair in Somerset interfering with the world's climate, damaging the economy.....
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 am

Chris,
Perhaps I could try to be more helpful, so here goes. You make the statement

"Holloid Plastics are providing 90,000 chess sets completely free of charge in phase one of the Chess for Schools Project, no outside finance is required"

Then let me know where the July 8th launch event is being held and I will come down and give a simultaneous display, completely free, no expenses, zero.

Matt

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 am

Chris,
Just as a small aside and remember I am being helpful, it would be nice if the picture on the Holloid website had the board the right way round.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 am

Chris,
I believe the position on the board is also illegal because Black has triple g-pawns, but it appears that the only White pieces that have been taken are the a,b and c pawns. I probably ought to leave it at that, otherwise people will accuse me of being pedantic.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:21 am

I appreciate that some of my comments have been quite negative, so let's have a think about the Wilson's School launch

1. 140 chess sets were distributed to local schools - brilliant

2. The local MP turned up - excellent

3. A promising junior (Anand Krisnan) gave up his time to support the project and assist local juniors - marvellous

This is all good stuff and Chris Majer and Caroline Morris should be congratulated. It's true that I don't believe this event means that the Chess for Schools' initiative is going to be a success, but it is a good start. Why then can I only find out about it on this forum?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:07 am

Does anybody know any details for the July 8th launch event?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 am

Mick Norris wrote:I have a pdf of the Chess for Schools Report handed out at yesterday's MCCU AGM which I can email to anyone who wants it

Simul by Anand Krishnan - event was successful etc
Can you email it to me so I can post it up here please?
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I have changed the permissions so you can upload the PDF to here yourself if you prefer
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Here we go
Attachments
2009.06.27 Chess for Schools Report.pdf
(105.72 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Any postings on here represent my personal views