ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:48 am

There are at least 3 county matches on 17 October too, a couple of junior rapidplays, a rapidplay at Docklands and Witney weekend congress, and no doubt other chess events too

Anyway, back on topic, any news about who is going to win the Elections?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Anyway, back on topic, any news about who is going to win the Elections?
There are various threads to discuss candidates at the ECF official forum, but apart from Jack being attacked for when as ecforum moderator he didn't delete details of a 10.2 dispute, there's little action. I'd suspect one previously outspoken candidate has been asked to remain silent, possibly for his own good.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 am

In the absence of a CEO report this year, might I suggest referring back the Andrew Farthing's CEO report of 2012 which seems just as relevant today and it was back then. The same concerns recur again and again: Trust & Transparency, Code of Conduct, Public Statements.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... t-2012.pdf

I would also make the controversial suggestion of returning all existing incumbents so as to give them one last chance to work together as though they were serving a three year term as proposed in the Pearce Report on ECF Governance.

The candidate 'none of the above' is not really a valid alternative and should be withdrawn from the ballot. Leaving a post empty by rejecting an individual whose candidature has been accepted through the formal nomination procedure seems a totally undemocratic procedure.

If anyone wishes to oppose a candidate the only democratic way to do so would be by nominating a suitable candidate to stand against them in a contested election.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:45 am

Michael

You are proposing to withdraw 'None of the Above'

That is against the way the ECF works and it is ridiculous that because you don't like the procedure you think it can simply be ignored by some sort of general acclaim. If I had a vote in this election I would be using None of the Above for two of the posts because I genuinely think that the ECF Board would do better with two vacancies than having on it the two candidates standing.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:58 am

I certainly would remove 'None of the Above'.

The members of the ECF Board are all adults and need to find a way of working together. The one element that is missing is a Chairman who can oversee and provide strong guidance to the Board.

To my mind a suitable Chairman would be Jo Frost aka Supernanny. Certain members of the Board are childish and bullying in their behaviour and need a parent to keep them in order.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:13 am

"To my mind a suitable Chairman would be Jo Frost aka Supernanny. Certain members of the Board are childish and bullying in their behaviour and need a parent to keep them in order."

Well, yes. I think it has gone beyond that, I propose Jack Bauer.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"To my mind a suitable Chairman would be Jo Frost aka Supernanny. Certain members of the Board are childish and bullying in their behaviour and need a parent to keep them in order."

Well, yes. I think it has gone beyond that, I propose Jack Bauer.

Given the length of the meetings, "Bart Simpsons Guide to Life", seems to suggest a zombie or perhaps an alien?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:58 pm

A joint report from the two NEDs is now available. There's too much gloss for my liking but I wonder what a NED should or shouldn't say in their annual report?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Angus French wrote:A joint report from the two NEDs is now available. There's too much gloss for my liking but I wonder what a NED should or shouldn't say in their annual report?
Oh good working towards a vision statement :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Just noticed the joint NED report is dated 20 August which is a while ago: possibly before Alex was suspended and certainly before the Board meeting of 18 September when the suspension decision was overturned. [Edit]The report of the Chairman of the Governance Committee came AFTER Alex's appeal was upheld...[/Edit]
Last edited by Angus French on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Angus French wrote:Just noticed the joint NED report is dated 20 August which is a while ago
Still after the incidents at the British Championships though. They also note that the British Championships and other events were conducted successfully, which is a conclusion the retiring non-Exec now appears to dispute.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:36 am

"A joint report from the two NEDs is now available. There's too much gloss for my liking but I wonder what a NED should or shouldn't say in their annual report?"

Agreed on the first point - on the second point they should say something... I'm glad the ECF hasn't had any arguments that have caused bad publicity. I don't think a joint report by the NEDs is a good idea.

A Vision Statement is a great idea - but surely ECF needs "Values" as well! I suggest the new ECF Board works on these and lets the rest of us get on with playing and organising chess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:06 am

The latest edition of Malcolm Pein's magazine Chess has arrived. In it I learn that he attended the recent FIDE Congress and that Alex H was there as well, attending meetings that Malcolm was unable to attend because of simultaneous clashes.

That's notwithstanding Alex H's supposed suspension, which Malcolm doesn't mention along with his own candidature for the position of International Director.

In fairness, he would have been condemned for a mention as much as keeping silent.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:The latest edition of Malcolm Pein's magazine Chess has arrived. In it I learn that he attended the recent FIDE Congress and that Alex H was there as well, attending meetings that Malcolm was unable to attend because of simultaneous clashes.

That's notwithstanding Alex H's supposed suspension, which Malcolm doesn't mention along with his own candidature for the position of International Director.

In fairness, he would have been condemned for a mention as much as keeping silent.
What are you talking about, Roger? Alex was never suspended. How could Malcolm mention something that never happened? There was an attempt at suspension, but it was invalid.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:50 am

Michael Farthing wrote: There was an attempt at suspension, but it was invalid.
This isn't mentioned either.