Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:32 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 am
And, as ever, it's no concern of those who choose not to enter.
It is however a concern for those who might be consulted over go/no go decisions for other events.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:32 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
It is however a concern for those who might be consulted over go/no go decisions for other events.
In that Northumberland might set a precedent?

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers at present and congresses come in all shapes and sizes anyway; some are in upmarket hotels and some are cheap and cheerful in village halls.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am
There is also the fundamental point as to whether attendance limits are imposed by force of law or by venue policy. If it's venue policy, a search for other venues could be possible. If it's force of law and that's below the minimum necessary attendance for a viable event, there's no point in wasting time on it until or even unless restrictions are lifted.

I can note the precedent that funerals are limited to thirty people, pubs and supermarkets are implicitly limited by floor area. Most local supermarkets no longer seem to bother. Perhaps I manage to visit them at quiet times.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:32 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers at present and congresses come in all shapes and sizes anyway; some are in upmarket hotels and some are cheap and cheerful in village halls.

i have had a Gold member messaging me about the ECF guidelines and i mention to him that OTB will happen, however it down to the events people to listen to the ECF and for them to make their own decision.

There are people who don't wanted to renew their membership, however we should all renew our membership as people have explain that the ECF office staff still have jobs there and we need to support them
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:39 pm

I have posted this in another thread, but it is as relevant here (from the BBC):

Up to 20,000 fans could be allowed into Twickenham to watch England play Barbarians on 25 October, the Rugby Football Union says.
It would be the largest crowd at a sporting event in the UK since lockdown restrictions were imposed in March.
Clearance to admit fans is subject to the obtaining of the relevant licence and approvals, including those from public health authorities.
The match was postponed in June because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Less than a quarter of Twickenham's 82,000 capacity would be filled under the proposal.
The RFU is planning a number of safety measures to reduce the risk of the virus being transmitted in the stadium - with fans required to wear face masks except when in their assigned seats, or when eating or drinking, digital tickets only, as opposed to paper ones, and one-way systems to manage crowd movement.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am
John Reyes wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:56 pm
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:02 pm
Have the ECF given any indication of how many members are renewing?
The website does seem a little temperamental, & any reference to last years membership (2019-2020) is not there.
I believe the ECF inputted some memberships manually last year.
Nobody know yet

because of Covid, no one has the answer and it down to the members to supported the ECF
Yes.
Member's need to support the ECF.
I just thought the ECF Office might have some indication of the number of renewals they have received.
Just looking through the Grading Database for my local area Lancashire:
It looks like renewals could be down by 50%.
Paul Robert Jackson

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Tim Rugby outdoors. Chess indoors. Irrelevant. 20,000 Members is a big ask.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Is there much chess going on in Lancashire? I know 1 of the Manticores leads Preston South End in 4NCL online but they weren't in the County Championship online and our Lancashire players don't seem interested in online chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:39 pm
I have posted this in another thread, but it is as relevant here (from the BBC):

Up to 20,000 fans could be allowed into Twickenham to watch England play Barbarians on 25 October, the Rugby Football Union says.
It would be the largest crowd at a sporting event in the UK since lockdown restrictions were imposed in March.
Clearance to admit fans is subject to the obtaining of the relevant licence and approvals, including those from public health authorities.
The match was postponed in June because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Less than a quarter of Twickenham's 82,000 capacity would be filled under the proposal.
The RFU is planning a number of safety measures to reduce the risk of the virus being transmitted in the stadium - with fans required to wear face masks except when in their assigned seats, or when eating or drinking, digital tickets only, as opposed to paper ones, and one-way systems to manage crowd movement.
the end of the day it up for people to make their own decisions and the ECF have put guides out.
the ECF AGM will have a update on the figures about membership and we need to support chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:00 pm
Is there much chess going on in Lancashire? I know 1 of the Manticores leads Preston South End in 4NCL online but they weren't in the County Championship online and our Lancashire players don't seem interested in online chess
Well Leyland congress was online this year, limited to previous participants. The Blackpool & Fylde league have been playing online tournaments throughout the summer.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:06 pm

Paul not sure that you are using Lancashire CA/star plus clubs. Why not ASK Bill? He is No 1 in Lancashire.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Paul not sure that you are using Lancashire CA/star plus clubs. Why not ASK Bill? He is No 1 in Lancashire.
Looked at the clubs listed by Lancashire Chess Association + Lancashire & Lancashire*
...........Hopefully members will re-join after the recent BH weekend & the ECF have collected monies by members paying by Direct Debit.
Paul Robert Jackson

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:09 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm
Tim Rugby outdoors. Chess indoors. Irrelevant. 20,000 Members is a big ask.
Fair point, but rugby stands are at least partially enclosed and most of the facilities, including walking from the road to the stands, are indoors

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Nobody know yet

because of Covid, no one has the answer and it down to the members to supported the ECF
Yes.
I just thought the ECF Office might have some indication of the number of renewals they have received.
Though don't lots of people pay their subs late normally?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes.
Though don't lots of people pay their subs late normally?
According to ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters. The final tally of members for 2019/20 was 12574 (22 August 2020 list). I don't have a final count of the number of supporters for 2019/20.