What am I doing?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Scott Freeman

Re: What am I doing?

Post by Scott Freeman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:51 am

QUOTE:
"CJ, can I suggest as a priority that we establish immediate good, open relations with the 4NCL and the UK Chess Challenge"

Can I also ask that ALL privately run events are supported and not just these? The English Chess Challenge (ECC) for example is a privately run event as well although it has actually brought finance into the ECF through game fee for the last few years and we are prepared to work with the national body and properly recognise financially those that work alongside us and who would be prepared to work with us. The ECC also can boast that it has never excluded those who have legitimately qualified for its later stages for any other reason than the fact that they hadn't scored enough points. I would have thought that such undertakings would be important in these days of tight scrutiny on the way children are catered for in the chess world.

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 pm

I agree Scott. A specific part of my election address was a promise to visit as many events and clubs as I was able throughout the country. I wouldn't dream of turning up out of the blue but if anyone would like me to come along, please do message me and we can work out the details.

I consider the role of President to include the positive fostering of inclusivity for all players regardless of ability, age or gender and I positively encourage anyone to contact me if you have anything to say!

CJ

JohnPaines

Post by JohnPaines » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

cjdemooi wrote: I consider the role of President to include the positive fostering of inclusivity for all players regardless of ability, age or gender and I positively encourage anyone to contact me if you have anything to say!
I certainly agree - there is too much mutual suspicion and it needs to be broken down.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks CJ (and John)

The main issue for us is that we would like to see a level playing field in the way different events and organisers are handled and feel that over the years we have not be given that when we should have been. It has especially frustrated us that we have supported official bodies and put money through game fee into the ECF from our many activities yet had little support when other mentioned competitions put nothing in and get the publicity because the event is perceived to be "good for chess." But leaving aside other "issues" then so must our events be. CCF is ready to work with you and, as I said before, show proper respect financially for the structures if they want to work with us. We really feel that the Champions' League Chess and English Chess Challenge (see threads on the junior pages) are events that we could work with you to grow.

All the very best to you in your new post.

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Good evening CJ,
and a belated congratulations on winning the election at the weekend. Although you have inadvertently got me into BIG trouble with my dear wife. :)

Having persuaded her to travel to the 4NCL this coming weekend, (bribed with a new Debbie Macomber book and a night without cooking, admittedly) I pulled my ace out of my pocket by promising her that it wouldn't just be boring chess players like me in attendence but one of her favourite TV personalities - yes CJ from her favourite show Eggheads. But I have just found out that you will be at at Sunningdale and we will be at Daventry!

H E L P!!

unless Kevin or Daphne turn up it could be a long frosty trip home! :D

Seriously, well done I look forward to chess eventually gaining the profile she deserves

Trefor
Sittingbourne Chess Club

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

CJ,
Congratulations on your election.
Only three days in but you certainly seem to be making a great effort to change the negative culture that seems to have pervaded the ECF for too long.

Gary
North Circular Chess League
Secretary

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you Trefor (but apologies to your wife) and thank you Gary...I'll keep trying!

I know there are a lot of people who have had problems with the BCF, the ECF, other tournaments, other individuals etc in the past. It's human nature for ill feeling to remain but this frankly gets us nowhere.

I don't expect everyone to become friends and start chatting to each other over night so I ask, at least will you please chat to me? Everything will of course remain confidential and I am only interested in the improvement of English chess...I have no ulterior motive, agenda or ambition. I am doing this job without taking a single penny in salary or even expenses because I believe that the game we love is worth the effort.

If anyone has anything at all to say, I ask you say it to me. Snide comments, backbiting and general rudeness rarely help and usually have the opposite effect. We all have vested interest in chess and surely, we all understand that a concerted effort to advance and promote its cause can only be of the ultimate benefit to everyone.

Please, I know a lot of you personally, and I'd like to get to know the rest. I am hoping to use the role of President as a unifying force for good in the game so I ask for your understanding, your support and above all, your help. Talk to me, use me, advise me or abuse me, I don't care.

The ECF is a body intended to attend to all involved with chess...I am here to serve so please allow me to do so.

Thank you, CJ

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm

well said, CJ!

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Had a reply from Charles Clarke and will make arrangements to meet him, hopefully by the end of the year.

I've written to the Toronto and Manhattan Chess Clubs and am visiting them both in 3 weeks (international relations and all that) but I stress again, this is at my own expense and isn't costing the ECF or any player a single penny.

I've also been invited along to a number of tournaments and congresses throughout the country so can hopefully talk to people and find out what they're thinking. Although I've been actively seeking the views of the English GM's (spoken to most of them now) I still wlecome anything that anybody has to offer...please tell me!

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:37 am

I'm meeting with Charles Clarke next month

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:41 am

Good Morning CJ,
I appreciate that this will come as a completely random post - but my inspired moments come in brief and increasingly infrequent times. [and seldom at the chess board] :)

The only topic of conversation in the office today is Question Time.

Have you/your manager ever considered appearing on the show? You are intelligent, charismatic and I am sure would have well thought out opinions on the topics of the day - and it would be an ideal platform to promote chess - I am sure you could link chess into as many answers as possible.

I believe Clive Anderson and Stephen Fry have been on the panel - so you would be following in the footsteps of at least two keen chess playing celebrities (I am sure there are many more)

Kind regards
Trefor

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:13 pm

I'll put the idea to Ben Edgell and my agent...thanks Trefor :)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Trefor Owens wrote:Good Morning CJ,
I appreciate that this will come as a completely random post - but my inspired moments come in brief and increasingly infrequent times. [and seldom at the chess board] :)

The only topic of conversation in the office today is Question Time.

Have you/your manager ever considered appearing on the show? You are intelligent, charismatic and I am sure would have well thought out opinions on the topics of the day - and it would be an ideal platform to promote chess - I am sure you could link chess into as many answers as possible.

I believe Clive Anderson and Stephen Fry have been on the panel - so you would be following in the footsteps of at least two keen chess playing celebrities (I am sure there are many more)

Kind regards
Trefor
Yeah, CJ could appear in t-shirt with slogan "Release the ECF DCMS cash NOW!"

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 pm

cjdemooi wrote:I'm meeting with Charles Clarke next month
I'm surprised he can find time from his plotting against The Gord to meet you :P :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 pm

well done cj on becoming the new president of the ecf .Iam an avid eggheads fan and have seen you on 100% i do a pub quiz every week and i belive cj will be a move the ecf in the right direction .now we have a new president he needs to now promote how we can join the ecf as i belive there not enough advertisement on this.