What is the history of the ecf office

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Re: what is the history of the ecf office

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 am

Matthew Turner wrote:John,
Just to clarify what you are saying, have I got it correct? You might never get paid, because (for whatever reason) you might not deliver the CoM - it might never happen?
I just want to keep you in suspense... :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:07 pm

I'd say that, for the majority of Chess players, £8311 going towards Graders' Fees represents extremely good value, seeing as really the grading system is pretty much the only thing that the ordinary player gets from the ECF for his / her game fee contribution.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Eoin Devane wrote:I'd say that, for the majority of Chess players, £8311 going towards Graders' Fees represents extremely good value, seeing as really the grading system is pretty much the only thing that the ordinary player gets from the ECF for his / her game fee contribution.
We need to expand the Online Grading Database to include the ECF membership number and then also display a grading breakdown of all games played but only for those people who have a membership number - this may encourage a few more people to sign up and increase revenue at least a little...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Eoin Devane wrote:I'd say that, for the majority of Chess players, £8311 going towards Graders' Fees represents extremely good value, seeing as really the grading system is pretty much the only thing that the ordinary player gets from the ECF for his / her game fee contribution.
We need to expand the Online Grading Database to include the ECF membership number and then also display a grading breakdown of all games played but only for those people who have a membership number - this may encourage a few more people to sign up and increase revenue at least a little...
Why should the ECF charge for something that FIDE provides for free?

Since you can't copyright the result of a game of chess, you could just get one member to distribute all that information amongst the chess-playing population anyway, if they wanted to. The database can be downloaded, after all. Also, if I know a member, I can just ask him/her to look up the relevant games and results, copy and paste, done.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Since you can't copyright the result of a game of chess, you could just get one member to distribute all that information amongst the chess-playing population anyway, if they wanted to. The database can be downloaded, after all. Also, if I know a member, I can just ask him/her to look up the relevant games and results, copy and paste, done.
No, I am suggesting that everyone can look at a games breakdown for an ECF member - however that "breakdown" (although held in the database) is not visible if you don't have a number against your grade

Make sense?

A "member" gets that information now via a printed list, so the change would more of an encouragement nothing else
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Would this service be available to MO members ot just direct members of the ECF carl
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

JohnPaines

Post by JohnPaines » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: No, I am suggesting that everyone can look at a games breakdown for an ECF member - however that "breakdown" (although held in the database) is not visible if you don't have a number against your grade

Make sense?
Not sure. What if the non-member requests the data under the Data Protection Act?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:Would this service be available to MO members ot just direct members of the ECF carl
Who knows, it's just an idea for now - however I have yet to persuade the powers that be :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 pm

JohnPaines wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: No, I am suggesting that everyone can look at a games breakdown for an ECF member - however that "breakdown" (although held in the database) is not visible if you don't have a number against your grade

Make sense?
Not sure. What if the non-member requests the data under the Data Protection Act?
I won't include their data in the database then so avoiding that complaint?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm

As a MO member i get a email with all my games and results on to check before the grading list comes out.
That is the reason i was asking carl and i do think your idea is really good.I do not mind paying more if i get something back from the ECF but at the moment all i seem to get for my membership is a grade.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
JohnPaines wrote:

Make sense?
I won't include their data in the database then so avoiding that complaint?
Unless you can predict in advance who's going to ask, and delete their data before they do, you'd be too late. Once they'd asked for it, you'd have to disclose it. I don't see why this would be a problem though. The ECF can charge £10 for fulfilling a Data Protection Act Subject Access Request. That's double what they currently charge non-members for this grading information.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Unless you can predict in advance who's going to ask, and delete their data before they do, you'd be too late. Once they'd asked for it, you'd have to disclose it. I don't see why this would be a problem though. The ECF can charge £10 for fulfilling a Data Protection Act Subject Access Request. That's double what they currently charge non-members for this grading information.
I could only upload breakdown information for 'actual' members in the first place - hence avoiding the issue?

Not sure on the rules to be honest :wink:

This would be more hassle if people joined during the season since I would need to upload their number and their breakdown of games information

Or just keep stum as to how I am doing things :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Why should the ECF charge for something that FIDE provides for free?
I don't think FIDE does really supply it (detailed results) for free.

FIDE charge each national federation eg the ECF a membership fee

and

For each game rated a fee to have the game rated, what you might term a game-rating fee. At present it's a relatively modest amount presumably to cover the costs of running and administering their ratings server. The recent proliferation of FIDE rated tournaments in the UK has been in part because the ECF made a decision not to pass on the costs of FIDE rating to the organisers. Whether this was affordable given the ECF's difficulties remains to be seen.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:This would be more hassle if people joined during the season since I would need to upload their number and their breakdown of games information
I think what you are saying is that there are not any difficult technical issues in doing this. There may however be legal issues for non-members. Actually from the point of view of intelligence gathering on potential opponents, you want to keep who you've played a secret and see who the opposition have played recently. :!:

Another worthwhile improvement would be the calculation of a "current year to date" grade based on results already submitted. If done for everybody this would give an up to date measure if you wanted to use it for tournament seedings, board orders or congress eligibility. Those of us who liked to monitor performance have being doing this when we can be bothered on our personal results for years. Oh I forgot - the latest version of the grading rules doesn't allow you to do this any more if you play any juniors.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:03 pm

John Upham wrote,
I just want to keep you in suspense...

I'm sure everybody finds this very amusing. Given the big part you seem to think the CoM will have in the ECF's recovery plan, perhaps you could use your wit on the administrators.