ECF meeting reports

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger Lancaster

Re: ECF meeting reports

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:09 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm
In short, 'grandfathered' bronzes can remain so if they don't upgrade but instead elect the P2P route into congresses.
Congress organisers would have thought the upgrade was automatic. Some players may even want it that way. More wording to put on Congress entry forms.
I'm sure congress organisers have faced greater challenges. As far as I can see, they would need to add words to the effect "Existing bronze members of the ECF should indicate, when entering the congress, whether they wish to be upgraded to (whatever the new membership level is called) or pay the Pay to Play fee of £x and remain bronze members".

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:01 am

For the minutes of Board meeting 156, held by Zoom on Thursday 7 September, see:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... -Final.pdf

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:28 am

At the next meeting, could you ask our Director of International Chess and External Relations why he has been retweeting, and praising the notorious violent thug Conor McGregor - who has a history of racism, homophobia and islamophobia - and who has recently been inciting racist violence in Dublin. Even in the tweet quoted below.

pein.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:46 am

When Malcolm's right, he's right!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:36 pm

And on this occasion he's not right (as opposed to, perhaps, right wing)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:06 pm

As much as I dislike his politics, Leo Varadkar, is Gay, a person of colour and the child of an immigrant. The real reasons, in my opinion, why Conor McGregor hates him so much.

Conor McGregor also recently quote tweeted Paul Golding, the leader of the fascist Britain First group.

As for McGregor's history of racism and crime, here's just an introduction.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... 234772835/

I think the ECF Director of International Chess and External Relations (!) should perhaps not be publicly endorsing a person now being investigated for incitement to riot.

As for the use of 'feckin'...

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:06 pm

I think the ECF Director of International Chess and External Relations (!) should perhaps not be publicly endorsing a person now being investigated for incitement to riot.

Questionable judgment but not a hanging offence.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:21 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:

Will those questions be put at the next meeting?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:21 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:

Well, Gerard, the ECF directors have taken it upon themselves, for better or worse, not to post here so you're unlikely to receive a direct reply on this forum. (You may regard that as something of an anomaly if they're permitted to post on Twitter/X, but that's another question entirely). As to your question, I have no insight but I'd guess that other directors will have differing views over propriety, in which case there's little point having a formal discussion where they agree to disagree. I imagine that those directors who agree with you will convey their opinions privately.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:26 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
The next meeting of the ECF Council is not until April, if that's what you mean by "next meeting". It's supposed to be a Finance meeting and it can be difficult to get other matters discussed.

Disputes at Director's Board meetings are usually kept under wraps with little more than a hint in the Minutes.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:26 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
The next meeting of the ECF Council is not until April, if that's what you mean by "next meeting". It's supposed to be a Finance meeting and it can be difficult to get other matters discussed.

Disputes at Director's Board meetings are usually kept under wraps with little more than a hint in the Minutes.
It would be nice if there was some accountability to members, as the reputation of the ECF is at stake.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:50 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:31 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Gerard Killoran wrote:

It would be nice if there was some accountability to members, as the reputation of the ECF is at stake.
I think that's probably over-dramatising it. To the average Twitter-user, if such an animal exists, there's no obvious connection to the ECF.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:41 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Gerard Killoran wrote:

To ECF members or to ECF Council?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:01 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:41 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:

To ECF members or to ECF Council?
ECF members, you know, the ones who provide all the money.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:10 am

Am I right in thinking that the typical rated restricted congress that I may enter (I am 1550 rated) will now be FIDE rated as well as ECF rated.