ECF AGM 2022

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Re: ECF AGM 2022

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:51 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:46 pm
The way to accommodate both Newcastle and Truro is Birmingham. Network Rail is correct.

There is also the Roger Lancaster school of thought - the greatest good to the greatest number. Which realistically would dictate London.

There is no advantage to anywhere north of Birmingham, other than variety. A line drawn halfway down England would divide its population in a 6:1 ratio, and the south-east has more graded chess players per head than anywhere else.
when did you last go to the ECF meeting?
you do have to move with the time, but also i do feel that there are more options with venues near the train station in the north.
look at the last Agm, it took me over 30/40 minutes to walk to the AGM venue.

just think it is fairer for traveling to the meeting
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 am
I actually said "Judging by 4NCL experience, numbers are maximised if events are held south of Birmingham but north of Milton Keynes" rather than London. I realise that Mick thinks this is "down south" but that's not necessarily the perception of someone living in Brighton or Bournemouth.
That's because it is down south
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:23 pm

Wonder who is going to be standing at the ECF Elections?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:01 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:23 pm
Wonder who is going to be standing at the ECF Elections?
Directors have three year terms, so the only elections or re-elections are likely to be those voted on at the 2019 AGM.

The Minutes are here
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... of-AGM.pdf

from which there were elections for

Board Chairman JC 261 0 (Julian Clissold)
International Director MP 255 9 (Malcolm Pein)
Non-Executive Director SW 258 6 (Stephen Woodhouse)
FIDE Delegate MP 255 9 (Malcolm Pein)
Chair of Finance Committee NF 256 9 (Nick Faulks)
Governance Committee Member MG 265 0 (Mike Gunn)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:27 pm

There's a news item on the ECF website reporting which Directors and Senior Officers are standing. Nominations were required by 8 September so a complete list of who's standing for which position might be published shortly.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 pm

The nominations have now been announced in the ECF website. Election addresses will follow, hopefully tomorrow. I have had some personal difficulties which has delayed the election addresses I'm afraid.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:28 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 pm
The nominations have now been announced in the ECF website.
"ECF webite" wrote: Non-Executive Chairman of the Board
Tim Wall
Nominated by Northern Counties Chess Union, Cumbria Chess Association, Northumberland Chess Association, South Tyne Chess League, South Lakes Chess Congress, Director of Women’s Chess
Stephen Woodhouse
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Oxfordshire Chess Association, 4 Nations Chess League, Warrington & District Chess League, Kidlington Chess Congress, Witney Congress, Witney Rapidplay, Chief Executive, Director of Home Chess, Director of Events, Past Chair of Council
Doesn't look as if Tim is particularly welcome to some of his potential Board collegues.
"ECF webite" wrote: Non-Executive Director
Alan Atkinson
Nominated by East Anglian Chess Union, Kent County Chess Association, Norfolk County Chess Association, Director of Women’s Chess
Hok Yin Stephen Chiu
Nominated by Lancashire Chess Association, Merseyside Chess Association, Birmingham & District Chess League, Central London Congress, Golders Green Congress, Hampstead Congress, Bronze Members’ Representative Tina Teotia
Stephen Greep
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Oxfordshire Chess Association, 4 Nations Chess League, Blackpool & Fylde District League, Hull & District Chess Association, Warrington & District Chess League, Delancey UK Chess Challenge, Kidlington Chess Congress, Leyland Congress, Ribble Congresses, Witney Congress, Witney Rapidplay, Friends of Chess, Chief Executive, Director of Finance, Director of Junior Chess, Director of Home Chess, Director of Events, Non Executive Director Stephen Woodhouse, Past Chair of Council, Platinum Members’ Representative David Eustace
A choice of candidates. Seemingly Stephen Greep is the establishment nominee, although unlike the other two, not I think an arbiter.

(edit) Stephen is also an arbiter, but "only" a national one. (/edit)
https://ratings.fide.com/profile/490407
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:30 pm

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/nominat ... t-the-agm/

Chair of Council

David Eustace
Nominated by Non-Executive Director Stephen Woodhouse, Past Chair of Council

Non-Executive Chairman of the Board

Tim Wall
Nominated by Northern Counties Chess Union, Cumbria Chess Association, Northumberland Chess Association, South Tyne Chess League, South Lakes Chess Congress, Director of Women’s Chess

Stephen Woodhouse
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Oxfordshire Chess Association, 4 Nations Chess League, Warrington & District Chess League, Kidlington Chess Congress, Witney Congress, Witney Rapidplay, Chief Executive, Director of Home Chess, Director of Events, Past Chair of Council

International Director
Malcolm Pein
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Warrington and District Chess League, Richmond Junior Chess Club, Director of Events, Director of Women’s Chess

Director of Events
Shohreh Bayat
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Oxfordshire Chess Association, 4 Nations Chess League, Warrington & District Chess League, Kidlington Chess Congress, Witney Congress, Witney Rapidplay, Chief Executive, Director of Women’s Chess, Director of Home Chess, Non Executive Director Stephen Woodhouse, Gold Members’ Representative Tim Wall

Non-Executive Director

Alan Atkinson
Nominated by East Anglian Chess Union, Kent County Chess Association, Norfolk County Chess Association, Director of Women’s Chess

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Nominated by Lancashire Chess Association, Merseyside Chess Association, Birmingham & District Chess League, Central London Congress, Golders Green Congress, Hampstead Congress, Bronze Members’ Representative Tina Teotia

Stephen Greep
Nominated by Manchester Chess Federation, Midland Counties Chess Union, Oxfordshire Chess Association, 4 Nations Chess League, Blackpool & Fylde District League, Hull & District Chess Association, Warrington & District Chess League, Delancey UK Chess Challenge, Kidlington Chess Congress, Leyland Congress, Ribble Congresses, Witney Congress, Witney Rapidplay, Friends of Chess, Chief Executive, Director of Finance, Director of Junior Chess, Director of Home Chess, Director of Events, Non Executive Director Stephen Woodhouse, Past Chair of Council, Platinum Members’ Representative David Eustace

FIDE Representative
Malcom Pein
Nominated by Richmond Junior Chess Club, Director of Women’s Chess, Director of Events

Chair of Finance Committee
Nick Faulks
Restanding

Member of Governance Committee
Mike Gunn
Nominated by Chair of Governance Committee

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:35 pm

Yorkshire also nominated Stephen Greep.
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:35 pm

And the MCF did not nominate Malcolm Pein
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:33 am

As may be, but no nominatiom was received from Yorkshire and one was received from Manchester. If evidence can be found for Yorkshire I will consider it.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:35 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:33 am
As may be, but no nominatiom was received from Yorkshire and one was received from Manchester. If evidence can be found for Yorkshire I will consider it.
Morning Michael,

I have forwarded you our nominations email to both your personal email and [email protected]

These were originally sent on Thursday 8th Sept at 13:22pm.

Kind Regards

Andy

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:20 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:35 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:33 am
Morning Michael,

I have forwarded you our nominations email to both your personal email and [email protected]

These were originally sent on Thursday 8th Sept at 13:22pm.

Kind Regards

Andy
Mainly to settle curiosity of the readers Andy successfully emailed my private address but the council.chair email again did not arrive. However, I now have the evidence of the email trail I was not receiving and am in a position to accept the Yorkshire nomination. I've talked to the ECF office expert on these matters but unfortunately we don't have any indication of what went wrong here.

Later
The ECF office took the precautionary step of explicitly white-listing Andy and since then we have successfully corresponded on the council.chair address

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Many thanks Michael.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:00 pm

Venue and other stuff

This year’s AGM takes place on Saturday October 15th starting at 1.30pm at the Simister Hall, The Signing Tree Conference Centre, Ladywood Road, Birmingham B16 8SZ; also with access for representatives online

Election addresses can be found at this link – http://ecfcouncillive.ndlazi.uk/index.p ... ord&page=B