ECF AGM 2022

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
J T Melsom

Re: ECF AGM 2022

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:17 am

I'm a Facebook group member but can't see these posts although I can see posts by James, Nevols, Skettos and others. Any suggestions?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:13 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:53 pm
Alex McFarlane wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:32 pm
I have a vote on Council and I didn't get it.

I do not believe that it was sent out via the ECF office.
My understanding is that the CEO personally sent the email to a select band of those who might have been sympathetic to the message which is almost certainly the reason I did not receive it.

In any case, I only hold one vote so I am very low on the ECF Council food chain. Clearly lobbying the holders of block votes is the best tactical approach.
I'm yet another with just one vote who didn't receive this. However I can't really see what the fuss is about - in any election, people are going to make extravagant claims for their preferred candidate(s). And, if for example Tim Wall can urge everyone to support Tim Wall (which, as far as I'm concerned, he is perfectly entitled to do) then I don't see why ECF directors, chief executive included, should be muzzled.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:10 pm

I am perhaps one of Tim's "inward-looking and resistant to change" local officials, but if I were standing in an election and were also responsible for casting six votes in that election, I would say to my constituents "since I am standing in this election, please email the other rep about it, who will cast the six votes without my knowledge".
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:34 pm

I have to admit that in this situation the letter from the silver reps once read (roughly)

Michael Farthing is standing to be a member of the Governance Committee. Michael will be voting in favour and John better had do. [At the time, in minor mitigation, the reps had only 1 vote each].

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:34 pm
I have to admit that in this situation the letter from the silver reps once read (roughly)

Michael Farthing is standing to be a member of the Governance Committee. Michael will be voting in favour and John better had do. [At the time, in minor mitigation, the reps had only 1 vote each].
lol

i always feel the the member have their said and always vote their way, not your own personal views.
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:21 pm

I think most people would accept that a single eminent official's honest opinion can sway a single vote. That's the same voting power as a Board member. When you have six votes, you have to consult, and if the constituents are indifferent then your job is to reflect their indifference by splitting the votes 3-3 (or 3-2 for your preferred candidate, if you must).
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 am

I've stupidly managed to mis-lay the Zoom URL for the AGM.

Could a kind person please pm it to me?

I am the delegate for the Surrey and Hampshire Border League which has a massive single vote representing around 400 players.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:23 am

Angus French wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 am
I do think though that a non-executive director should be able to challenge the work of an executive director and a cosy relationship between the two may inhibit that. I note that it's not only the CEO who has nominated candidates for non-executive positions but also the Director of Women's Chess has nominated Alan Atkinson.
Just wanted to emphasise - on AGM day - my previous point. The Institute of Directors say about non-executive directors: "Of the utmost importance is their independence of the company management and any of its ‘interested parties’. This means they can bring a degree of objectivity to the board’s deliberations, and play a valuable role in monitoring executive management."

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:35 am

"I do think though that a non-executive director should be able to challenge the work of an executive director and a cosy relationship between the two may inhibit that."

Absolutely - I seem to recall that has happened in Surrey.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:50 am

Obviously the Non-Execs should be challenging those in other positions when it is needed.

What I don't want to see is a situation where a Non-Exec is questioning officials just because they can and to make as much trouble as they can. I have concerns that we could be facing that type of situation depending on the outcome today.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:40 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 am
I've stupidly managed to mis-lay the Zoom URL for the AGM.

Could a kind person please pm it to me?

I am the delegate for the Surrey and Hampshire Border League which has a massive single vote representing around 400 players.
Thanks to all those who have sent me the Zoom URL!

J.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:53 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:50 am
Obviously the Non-Execs should be challenging those in other positions when it is needed.

What I don't want to see is a situation where a Non-Exec is questioning officials just because they can and to make as much trouble as they can. I have concerns that we could be facing that type of situation depending on the outcome today.
That's a depressing thought

As usual, big thanks to those giving up their time today to attend the meeting; I'm off to the football :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:53 pm
Alex McFarlane wrote:

That's a depressing thought

As usual, big thanks to those giving up their time today to attend the meeting; I'm off to the football :)
Thanks over 15 live and 24 on zoom
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:45 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:

We have seen that situation in the past. It even got to the stage where a non-exec resigned as director so as to challenge one of the incumbents.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:55 pm

The meeting has started but audio quality for external Zoom users is awful.

Too much mumbling apart from Tim W. who is very clear.