ECF Grand Prix 2022-23

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

ECF Grand Prix 2022-23

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:06 pm

The latest leader board is at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/chessab ... d-october/

I think there's a difference in the rules from when it ran previously.

It says in the link
All open congresses (or open sections of congresses) rated by the ECF are included with players scoring points based on their results.
In other words you have to "play up" in order to be included.

That may explain in part why the top sections of multi section events are increasingly acquiring a tail of lower rated players. It may also make it difficult for any organisers tempted to impose a lower rating limit on their top section.

There also used to be a competition in a similar style for places in the British Championship. That had the disadvantage that there was never any publicity on who was doing well as well as the problem that a competition where the results aren't known until 1st July or later is too late to act as a qualifier for an event starting in the same month or very shortly after.

(edit) The rules also mean that the 60 30 FIDE rated Under 2200/2400 tournaments aren't included. For that matter my disappointing 50% at the Torbay Congress will count, whilst Brendan's winning 4.5/5 in the Major won't. (/edit)

jholyhead

Re: ECF Grand Prix 2022-23

Post by jholyhead » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 am

The rule change is disappointing, but understandable from a sporting context, but there were options that wouldn't lead to a load of 1300 juniors entering Open sections. Performance rating over your x best events, being a simple one that would remain fair across different sections.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:48 pm

Is it confirmed that events that are U2300 for a top section excluded form the Grand Prix?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Another question in case anyone knows the answer (I'll email the ECF otherwise)

The Grand Prix page says
From July 2022 onwards you will be able to find out if your events have been reported and accepted for the Grand Prix by clicking here and selecting Open OTB events between July 2022 and June 2023. This is actually a list of events received for rating, but Grand Prix scores are calculated via the rating system and congresses accepted for the Grand Prix are marked (a congress, to qualify, must be reported within one month).
The thing is that the link brings me to the events page, where I can filter on OtB and on standard, but:
  • I can't find how to filter for "Open" tournaments
  • I can't filter specifically for the date range required
  • I can't see where the accepted congresses are "marked"
  • As a side query, I also looked at the API help page and I don't think I can download all tournaments between two dates
Anyone had more luck in finding an up to date list of grand Prix results?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:13 am

Does anyone know when the results of the ECF Grand Prix will be published?
I'd email the ECF but I already asked my fair share of question on the British Grand Prix :wink: , so if anyone knows the answer that will save everyone from dealing with another email :lol: