David Sedgwick health update

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger Lancaster

Re: David Sedgwick health update

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:44 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:35 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 pm
David is still languishing in Croydon University Hospital - ward Purley 3 - and would relish visitors and phone calls.

Visiting times are 2-4 and 6-8, but please ring him first. His phone number is
Just a thought but it might be better to say that you can provide David's number on request rather than placing it on a public forum.
I naturally checked this first and was informed that, and I quote, "David regarded his phone number as being in the public domain already"

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm

I never expected to see a thread on this forum displaying such complete unanimity as this one has done. Still less did I imagine that I would be the subject of any such thread. I am extremely grateful for all the good wishes which I have received, both on this Forum and elsewhere.

I am making slow progress but I hope to be out of hospital before too long. However it is likely to be some time before I can return to this Forum and to other social media. Similarly it is likely to be some time before I can reply to emails.

Once again, thank you everyone.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm

Good to hear from you in person, nonetheless. Best wishes.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:47 pm

Great to see you posting David!

I have always enjoyed your posts.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:32 pm

There is a further update. When I saw David yesterday he had been passed as fit to leave hospital, which should lead to an improvement in his lifestyle. This has now happened. He still cannot post on the forum, so has asked me to pass on the following message.

"I have been discharged from Croydon University Hospital and shall be continuing my recuperation for the next 8 or 9 days at a nursing home in Norbury. During this temporary stay I am not actively seeking visitors but phone calls are always very welcome. I would like to thank everyone who has contacted me while I have been in hospital."
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:40 am

Thanks for the latest bulletin - sounds like good progress. Great that he’s getting out of hospital. Hope we’ll get to see him soon.

Matthew Carr

Post by Matthew Carr » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:03 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:32 pm
There is a further update. When I saw David yesterday he had been passed as fit to leave hospital, which should lead to an improvement in his lifestyle. This has now happened. He still cannot post on the forum, so has asked me to pass on the following message.

"I have been discharged from Croydon University Hospital and shall be continuing my recuperation for the next 8 or 9 days at a nursing home in Norbury. During this temporary stay I am not actively seeking visitors but phone calls are always very welcome. I would like to thank everyone who has contacted me while I have been in hospital."
I spoke to him yesterday too. He said the same and asked me to thank people here directly if they were at 4NCL this weekend.
Its good to hear he is coming out of hospital. Once hes settled I would like to go down and visit him directly.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:03 pm

Pleased to hear that progress appears to be good.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:21 pm

Thank you again to everyone for all the good wishes.

I am cotinuing to make a slow but steady recovery.

Since Tuesday 21st February I have been living at a Sheltered Housing facility in The Croydon area. This is for an initial trial period of four weeks. I don't want to post any further details for the present.

I am still finding using the internet difficult and tiring but, as you can see, no longer impossible.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:40 pm

Sounds like cautiously good news!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:46 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:21 pm
Thank you again to everyone for all the good wishes.

I am cotinuing to make a slow but steady recovery.

Since Tuesday 21st February I have been living at a Sheltered Housing facility in The Croydon area. This is for an initial trial period of four weeks. I don't want to post any further details for the present.

I am still finding using the internet difficult and tiring but, as you can see, no longer impossible.
Great to hear from you. All the best with your recovery.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:30 pm

Thanks again for all the good wishes both here and elsewhere. I am continuing to make steady progress, although it is frustratingly slow at times. I am not yet ready to return to playing chess and when I do it is likely to be online initially.

On Wednesday 22nd March I signed a contract to remain permanently at the Sheltered Housing facility where I have been living since Tuesday 21st February.

I am in the process of communicating my new address to organisations with which I am involved and to friends and colleagues. I don't intend to publish my address, but it is certainly not secret.

If you would like to know my address and you do not hear from me within the next two weeks, please send me a private message on here or an email.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:58 am

Great to hear from you David and happy Easter.

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:32 am

Happy Easter David, good to hear you are on the mend.

Satish Gaekwad

Post by Satish Gaekwad » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:01 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery David