Grading Fee breaking the monopoly

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Grading Fee breaking the monopoly

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Adam. When reading my various posts you could conclude I dont have much time for any ECF officials, not so I very much respect you and a number of others who are really trying hard to make it work. Its the 'beast' known as the ECF(BCF) , the way its constructed that I find difficult to accept.

Anyway heres a question.

1. assume a county has its own grading system and most of the players are not members of the ECF
2. Some members of the county want to be members of the ECF to get a national grade

3. A Game is played between someone with a local grade in the local league and one of those with a national grade. Will the ECF grade the game for the ECF member?
No, they won't.

J. Moore

Post by J. Moore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:15 pm

"There are costs associated with printing the grading list"

Why do we need to have the grading list printed, this might have been ok 30+ years ago, when there was no other form of information, but now it is ready to view at a click of a button

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 pm

J. Moore wrote:"There are costs associated with printing the grading list"

Why do we need to have the grading list printed, this might have been ok 30+ years ago, when there was no other form of information, but now it is ready to view at a click of a button
Because, until Saturday, you had the option to opt-out of the online grading list. Now that there is no longer the right to opt-out, perhaps this is something the Board could consider.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm

J. Moore wrote:"Why do we need to have the grading list printed,
I don't think that many copies are printed any more. I dare say there's a few traditionally minded organisers who like paper. If you were taking entries for a tournament and you didn't have internet access, a printed list would be helpful.

Wasn't one of the ECF's cost saving methods to switch to "print on demand" if it's cheaper than bulk printing?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Because, until Saturday, you had the option to opt-out of the online grading list. Now that there is no longer the right to opt-out, perhaps this is something the Board could consider.
Very few opt-out I believe but as I don't get those records I am not sure of the number
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Very few opt-out I believe but as I don't get those records I am not sure of the number
I think the Board told us the number, but I missed it myself - another comment from a Council member said that "if it's only 5 people, what're we worried about?" (Or words to that effect.)

The only issue that was raised was whether the Data Protection Act was being violated. I don't see how it would be, personally...

The fact that you can't opt-out now is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.

Do the ECF sell the printed version of the grading list? How many fools will buy that now, given the whole database is free to download anyway?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Actually the printed grading list makes a small profit. It would make a bigger profit if we found a cheaper printer, and that is what we will try to do for August's list. January's update to rapidplay grades can be produced Print on Demand for those that still like the idea of a paper copy. Eventually, as is suggested below, we can move the August list to Print on Demand if it saves us money. At the moment we give out enough free copies of the printed list to graders to make the cost savings minimal.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 am

<I think people would support a national grading system if they understood the exact cost to an individual, and if it is accurate in its calculation

The current system falls down on both the above, the game fee is sometimes mindboggling ,and the calcuation still uses a basic averaging calc (also the dubious inflations that have recently happen don't exude confidence in the system)>

(Excluding for the moment the way junior players are currently treated) there is nothing technically wrong with the English grading system as Professor Elo makes clear in his book "The Rating of Chessplayers".