British Chess Championships 2011

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 23, 2011 10:59 pm

andrew martin wrote:We'll be testing the system in the coming weeks.
This does new appear to be a Silverlight application I am afraid so it's only going to be available for a limited number of people anyway :roll:

Not me either :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Most broadcasts on playchess.com are only for "premium" users.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Given the total lack of planning from the ECF side I am considering withdrawing my support from the normal live broadcasts
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

"Miss ... MIss ... It's my ball Miss, and if they don't do what I want Miss, I'm taking it home Miss."

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Alan Burke wrote:"Miss ... MIss ... It's my ball Miss, and if they don't do what I want Miss, I'm taking it home Miss."
Since you have zero knowledge of the issues then 'numpty' is the ideal word :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alan Burke wrote:"Miss ... MIss ... It's my ball Miss, and if they don't do what I want Miss, I'm taking it home Miss."
Since you have zero knowledge of the issues then 'numpty' is the ideal word :roll:
I accept that I might also be a numpty, but I would appreciate a summary of the issues as you see them, Carl. What has the ECF not done? What, specifically, would you like the ECF to do?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm

And just what knowledge have you got of me to say that I would have "no knowedge of the issues" ?

Start eating the humble pie .... and for once try and give an answer without resorting to character and issuing personal insults !

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Alan Burke wrote:And just what knowledge have you got of me to say that I would have "no knowedge of the issues" ?
I think that Carl is not referring to the knowledge you don't have. He's referring to the knowledge of the behind-the-scenes discussions that the rest of us mortals - perhaps including the Director responsible given his reply above - don't know about. I think Carl objected to you commenting without knowing the behind-the-scenes goings on.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Alex ... as you say, you only ""THINK that Carl is not referring to the knowledge you don't have" and also "THINK Carl objected to you commenting without knowing the behind-the-scenes goings on." ... so with all due respect, you don't really know what Carl meant - and I still look forward to Carl's ACTUAL reply to what knowledge he has of me in order to give his earlier comment.

If Carl is so displeased with the way the ECF are handling things, then surely the proper way for him is to approach the ECF privately and NOT via means of an unofficial public forum - which is not the be-all and end-all arena of chess discussions in this country ! His comments were akin to a form of blackmail -"Either do as I say or I will punish you." - and seemed a way of him just trying to get 'public support' for his cause.

It also seemed a childish attitude for Carl to say that unless things are done as he thinks they should be, he would "take his ball home". Having done that, he then resorts to name-calling - so what's next; will he tell me he is going to get his dad, because his dad might be bigger than my dad ?

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

As they say, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth... I've yet to have heard the extension to the phrase about insulting the gift-horse...

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed May 25, 2011 5:21 am

Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:As they say, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth... I've yet to have heard the extension to the phrase about insulting the gift-horse...
A nice turn of phrase, Ms Lazarevic - I shall remember that for future use. Thank you.

PB

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Wed May 25, 2011 5:43 am

Mr Burke, in various other threads you have taken part in, you have ably demonstrated that it is a case of Burke by name and 'berk' by nature.

I am a Scot who has, over several years, enjoyed watching the progress of many other Scots in the various events at the British Championships by virtue of the hosting of the live broadcasting of the event by Carl

The fact that Carl has for years provided free hosting of the live broadcasts from the British does not oblige him to do so for ever. Indeed if he has not been consulted about this years coverage, then I would have to say that it extremely presumptuous to assume that he should continue to do so. I for one will be saddened if he feels it necessary to withdraw.

What major contribution to chess in the British Isles have you made Mr. Burke that justifies your repetitive, derogatory, comments about the positive efforts of others?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 am

Alan Burke wrote:His comments were akin to a form of blackmail -"Either do as I say or I will punish you." - and seemed a way of him just trying to get 'public support' for his cause.
I "thought" I only criticised a lack of planning on the web side?

What cause?

Struth :lol:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
I accept that I might also be a numpty, but I would appreciate a summary of the issues as you see them, Carl. What has the ECF not done? What, specifically, would you like the ECF to do?
Any specific criticisms would be gratefully received, and acted upon.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am

Andy McCulloch ... I see that you too haven't progressed from the playground of infant school, where name-calling is the norm.

Just where have I criticised any positive efforts of others in this thread ? I only made a comment about Carl Hibbard's own post in threatening to withdraw his services because he 'thought' the ECF were not doing things the way HE wanted them to do. That is not criticising anyone's efforts, but was a response to Carl Hibbard's own 'negative' attitude towards the ECF on this matter.

Carl Hibbard ... I see that you still don't reply to my question about what grounds you have to make such a statement about me and instead try and deflect the conversation onto something else. "The cause" was YOU wanting things to be done YOUR way and using this forum as your soapbox instead of of discussing any criticism privately with the ECF. I am not surprised the ECF won't sanction this as an official forum if their private business is going to be aired in public, especially if it is organised someone who insults people because he perceives them not to have knowledge akin to what he believes are his own very high standards.

Adam Raoof .. All my best wishes to you and all your colleagues at the ECF for another very successful tournament at Sheffield - you are all doing such a great job.