Staunton Memorial Dinner

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
cjdemooi

Staunton Memorial Dinner

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I will make an official announcement next week but let me make 5 points first -

1. This event is independent of the ECF...its only main connection is that the President is organising it
2. I have already secured an exclusive sponsorship deal and am hoping to reveal another to help with future British Championships
3. I provided some of the initial funds myself and am handling all the finances personally...these will be available for public scrutiny when the event is over
4. A number of very high profile guests have already confirmed their attendance (guaranteeing maximum media exposure) as well as several guests of a 'financially agreeble persuasion'
5. 50% of all profits will go to the Karpov 2010 campaign, 40% to the British Championships 2011 (I have previously stated those players I have secured), 5% to a chess based charity (suggestions are welcomed) 5% to the ECF (to be used in the manner suggested by the ECF Council)

Any questions are welcomed but the reason I am working on this event is primarily to boost the profile of English chess both nationally and on the world stage.

Jonathan Rogers

Re: Staunton Memorial Dinner

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:41 pm

I guess that the dinner will be judged in retrospect, by the good that comes out of it. But kudos to CJ and those others who are putting so much in to the venture.

I am curious to know what the donors to Karpov's campaign are actually expecting to happen with their money. It presumably isn't being spent on brochures, and p&p as in the old days. Is it effectively disappearing in Karpov's legal fees (see Chessbase)?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I am dismayed that questions have been asked about the financing of this event. CJ deserves full support for organising it and does not deserve some of the posts in this thread. No costs will fall upon the ECF therefore what the heck is the problem. Chess has no profile so why on earth do we want in any way to be questioning someone whose doing his very best to raise it. Give me strength. :evil:
I recall similar things' being said at the start of the Chess Sets for Schools project. Questions of the "how is this going to work?" variety are a vital part of enterprises like this; that CJ has given reasonable answers to such questions bodes well for this dinner.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:32 pm

This is a private enterprise being run by CJ and others. It has nothing to do with the ECF and quite frankly if it loses or makes a fortune is nobody's business but CJs and his associates.

And if it does make money, what they do with it is nobody's business either!

cjdemooi

Staunton Memorial Dinner

Post by cjdemooi » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:40 pm

I am pleased to announce that even with 2 months to go, the event is already guaranteed to make a profit which I hope most people will agree can only be good for chess in general. If you don't agree however, please let me know and we'll try to reach a solution.

This will be a major event which (followed by the Chess Classic) should again make London a centre of publicity for the game.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 am

Many thanks to Adam for clarifying the role of Ray in the Staunton Dinner. Reprising part of what Adam wrote on

http://chesscircuit.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... unton.html
Adam Raoof wrote: You are cordially invited to the

Howard Staunton Dinner

Event Organiser and ECF President– CJ de Mooi

Chair of Event Committee – Sonia Westman

Event Organiser – Raymond Keene OBE

FIDE Candidate – Richard Conn

Guests of Honour will be

Former World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov

Former World Chess Challenger Michael Adams

Former World Chess Challenger Nigel Short

I recognise all the names above, save for that of the mystery lady, Sonia Westman, is she a member of the Staunton Society?

Diners should note:
Adam Raoof wrote: The dress code will be Black and White
Thus Penguin suits are acceptable.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm delighted to announce that former World Champion Anatoly Karpov will be attending too

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Wow, that is most impressive!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 am

This is news to me in that it's news. Given the cause of the dinner, I'd assumed he was already a certainty to be there. :oops:

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

Opportunity for them to get together about FIDE presidential issues me thinks.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Gavin,

If I may say so, your signature rather sticks out and I wonder if something a little smaller and more muted might suffice?

thanks,
Angus French (a fellow West Ham supporter)

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:48 pm

got the message - until Sunday! I am surprised it took this long for someone to mention it. Hmmmm note to diary: must make the wording bigger and flashing next time.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:Hmmmm note to diary: must make the wording bigger and flashing next time.
Note to self: please be ready with even bigger "amendment to something else" button :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

cjdemooi

Staunton Memorial Dinner

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:01 pm

I need a couple of gophers!

For the evening of the event to help with the games, photographs and be general dogsbodies. Ideally, I'd like to offer these to two younger people, 1 boy and 1 girl aged between 13 an 16. There's no pay or food I'm afraid, although drinks will be provided, but you'll stay for the whole time and, as a thank you, take home a souvenir photgraph of yourself with Kasparov and Karpov.

Are there any suggestions for anyone who might be interested? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Angus French wrote:Gavin,

If I may say so, your signature rather sticks out and I wonder if something a little smaller and more muted might suffice?

thanks,
Angus French (a fellow West Ham supporter)
I have to agree with Angus, who put the matter very tactfully. If everyone adopted Gavin's inconsiderate "in-your-face" advertising model, then these fora would become unusable. Sean provides an example of how to advertise tastefully in a signature. I have looked at what Sean has promoted. It would never occur to me to click on Gavin's links.

A solution would be to restrict the maximum size of a font in a signature, provide Hobson's choice when it comes to colour and disable all other bells and whistles. If this can't be done, then I suggest that Gavin's posts be exiled to the Adverts forum.