SO WHO'S GOING TO SHEFFIELD? I AM!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Gilbert

Re: SO WHO'S GOING TO SHEFFIELD? I AM!

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:50 pm

More entries! Up to 638 this morning - compares with 618 last year. Add Jovanka Houska - the Queen of British Women's chess who's going for her fouth title - and there's little doubt we have the strongest championships ever, ever. Any more up your sleeve CJ?

In the other championship events the seniors and the U-160s are heading towards record numbers - the seniors have already equalled the highest figure and just five more entries needed in the U-160s to equal the 55 who played in Torquay in 2009.

It's the new Christmas!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm

It interests me that the Seniors always enter earlier than other groups. You would have thought we would leave it till later in case we were no longer around!
Stewart Reuben

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Thing is, they keep coming back Stewart - 19 of the top thirty finishers at Canterbury have entered again, including champion Paul Byway. It looks a strong field - good luck Stewart.

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 pm

The 2nd rapid play is showing the wrong date on the British Championship web site? Sunday 1/8/11 is a Monday not a Sunday-Unless it's just me?

So will those turning up a day late on 1/8/11 be entitled to a refund? I will just be watching for a few days from Mr Martin’s frog pond. The prior Sunday is also wrong.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Mistakes get made. It is correct on the entry form.
One year I go the year wrong. The only person to point it out was from Singapore. I'll tell Stephen Connor, just as you could have.
Stewart Reuben

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Paul Robson wrote:The 2nd rapid play is showing the wrong date on the British Championship web site? Sunday 1/8/11 is a Monday not a Sunday-Unless it's just me?

So will those turning up a day late on 1/8/11 be entitled to a refund? I will just be watching for a few days from Mr Martin’s frog pond. The prior Sunday is also wrong.
Thank you noticing and pointing this out Paul and it has now been changed.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 pm

I would be interested to know what the overall amount for players conditions is- as I'm sure many other people are. The players deserve them of course, but in the interests of accountability and transparency I think it would be nice if we were told.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm

The only period start money for the leading players was at all public was in the latter days of the Smith & Williamson/Kleinwort Benson sponsorship of the British. That was Jim Plaskett's idea as it is a public event. There was a sliding scale dependent on rating and title. It was very generous. IMs got a minimum of £200 if I remember correctly. But I don't think the scale was ever published to the general public. Only the players knew apart from me and the sponsor. The reason that was possible was because the sponsorship was open-ended and very costly.

I think it is much too late to do that for 2011.

Stewart Reuben

Stewart Reuben

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 am

Mark Howitt wrote:I would be interested to know what the overall amount for players conditions is- as I'm sure many other people are. The players deserve them of course, but in the interests of accountability and transparency I think it would be nice if we were told.
I don't think it's anyones business how much most people get paid, whether that be you in your job, me in mine or a GM at the British.

However, it is reasonable for the accounts for the British to state how much in total was paid out as conditions.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

I'm afraid I agree that personal details remain private for 2 reasons.

The British Championships this year received 2 donations - one of £250 from a private benefactor and one of £16585 from me. In all honesty, I won't be contributing any more personal funds to chess as I can't afford it but I'm sure everyone will understand that where I choose to spend my own money should remain confidential.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:59 am

cjdemooi wrote:I'm afraid I agree that personal details remain private for 2 reasons.

The British Championships this year received 2 donations - one of £250 from a private benefactor and one of £16585 from me. In all honesty, I won't be contributing any more personal funds to chess as I can't afford it but I'm sure everyone will understand that where I choose to spend my own money should remain confidential.
That's a magnificent gesture. I'm sure it is appreciated by everyone who will be at the event or watching online. I would urge you to heed the advice that I never follow though which is not to keep plugging shortfalls in funding through your own money however much you want to make a difference.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am

I think we all need to be very grateful to C.J. for his very personal contribution to the British Championships. People should look forward to a very exciting Championships this year. C.J. has clearly stated what his money raising efforts are being spent on, so Mark Howitt can easily guesstimate the costs of increased prize money and reduced entry fees. That should give a very good estimate of the total cost of conditions. I would just add that I think the majority of GMs, of about my standard, are not playing at the British to make money, but rather to play at a strong British and support C.J.s initiative.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

LozCooper wrote:I would urge you to heed the advice that I never follow though which is not to keep plugging shortfalls in funding through your own money however much you want to make a difference.
[like]

The truth is that this gap can only be plugged by the many people who enjoy the game making a modest contribution to the funding of the ECF and through that, all the events we are responsible for. Until we fund chess adequately, it will always be down to sponsors to support events.
Last edited by Adam Raoof on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am

cjdemooi wrote:In all honesty, I won't be contributing any more personal funds to chess
To be honest, after a contribution of that magnitude, I don't think anyone will hold that against you in the slightest. :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!