99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: 99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed May 09, 2012 12:00 am

Mark Howitt wrote:It'll be interesting to see who turns up for this event... not wanting to be negative but in general in British championships, southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home.
I've just looked up the entries over the years.

Here are the entries since 2000:
Millfield 711
Scarborough 986
Torquay 963
Edinburgh 1009
Scarborough 960
Isle of Man 503
Swansea 768
Great Yarmouth 824
Liverpool 742
Torquay 935
Canterbury 891
Sheffield 951

If we ignore Isle of Man as a special case, and then rank the others in descending order of the number of entries, then you get
(1) Edinburgh 1009
(2) Scarborough 986
(3) Torquay 963
(4) Scarborough 960
(5) Sheffield 951
(6) Torquay 935
(7) Canterbury 891
(8) Great Yarmouth 824
(9) Swansea 768
(10) Liverpool 742
(11) Millfield 711

There's no evidence there to back up the claim that "southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home"; if anything, this seems to suggest that northern venues are more popular than southern venues!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: There's no evidence there to back up the claim that "southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home"; if anything, this seems to suggest that northern venues are more popular than southern venues!
You (perhaps I) would be unlikely to travel from the London or Home Counties area to Newcastle for a weekend event, but a week or longer event is a different matter. There's a contrast between locations which work for the 4NCL or e2e4 and those that work for the British.

Is there any consensus yet as to the best place to stay for the British? University accommodation has its advantages as you always get a decent desk. Prices are reasonable but the nearest seems to be in the centre of Newcastle. If you are prepared to commute on the Metro, that might be a reasonable option.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed May 09, 2012 8:10 am

In terms of accommodation then I basing yoursleves in Newcastle and using the Metro. is certainly an option. Metro is cheap and reliable - probably 45mins door-to-door. Plus you are based in Newcastle for nightlife, etc.

But there are plenty of options out at the coast e.g. B&B's guest houses, flats - even caravan parks, etc that might be more family friendly and closer ot the venue.

Paul

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

Lara Barnes wrote:After working at The 4NCL this weekend I realised how many of our titled players want to but just cannot afford to spend 2 weeks playing away from home at The British Championships.
Does that mean that a change in format is required? Too late for 2012 obviously but I#m thinking of the future. I heard more than one player at the weekend suggest that they would play a 9 day, Saturday - Sunday event, but not the current format.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm

That certainly has been mooted in the past. A 9 round event has pro's and con's.

In favour is the lower cost of accommodation / better chance of time off work etc.

Against is the opportunity for 10 and 11 round norms, the option of people coming for one or both weeks, the need for a bigger venue to house all the different events...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Lara Barnes wrote: Against is the opportunity for 10 and 11 round norms, the option of people coming for one or both weeks, the need for a bigger venue to house all the different events...
You would likely need a major restructuring of the junior events, currently 7 rounds in 6 days. That's not to say it wouldn't be desirable to extend them to at least 9 rounds, to give players experience of the type of event they would face if they played in a World or European representative event.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Looking at the stats, its clear that seaside venues are most popular, for obvious reasons.
Those going to North Shields this year should seriously consider the visitor attractions..National Trust & English Heritage, and other venues, which make some really good days out. Northumberland and Durham have a wealth of history, and hopefully the weather will oblige to provide perfect conditions.
There are many fine beaches on the east coast, in Northumberland...even Tynemouth offers some pleasant spots..
Across the Tyne is South Shields...just a short ferry trip across from North Shields....and South Shields has a great beach, for those wishing to take in the sun. But the water, although of high quality, comes with a touch of the chill factor...nevertheless, not to be missed if the weather permits. And Minchella`s ice cream is a treat!!
As regards the playing schedule...I wonder if they should have two days when double rounds are played, and maybe allow an additional one day break (for Championship players), to enjoy the location...and take a break.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 pm

David Pardoe wrote: As regards the playing schedule...I wonder if they should have two days when double rounds are played, and maybe allow an additional one day break (for Championship players), to enjoy the location...and take a break.
Double round days are one of FIDE's worst inventions. If you want to be a tourist, either arrive early, a day or two before the start of the competition, or stay late for an extra day. Playing a potential six hour game a day is one thing, playing two of them is another. You could need the (unnecessary) rest day to recover. If you have acceleration and a double round, the least worst time is the rabbit crush round immediately after the acceleration has been removed.

It's OK with double round days, if you need to fit nine rounds into eight consecutive days or fewer. If you have nine rounds and nine days, one round a day please without artificial rest days.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Roger,
From a chess playing perspective you are probably correct regarding playing double rounds....certainly at Championship level.
For those going to the North East this summer, I`d just say that it has much more to offer......
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Is there any consensus yet as to the best place to stay for the British? University accommodation has its advantages as you always get a decent desk. Prices are reasonable but the nearest seems to be in the centre of Newcastle. If you are prepared to commute on the Metro, that might be a reasonable option.
This is going to sound smug. Sorry it is smug. But if you had had three hours to spare on 10 February 2012 you could have taken advantage of Travel Lodge's £10 per room sale. Okay I had to book my room at the Silverlink hotel one day at a time, and the site crashed about 100 times, but with some patience I was able to get four nights at £10, one at £15, one at £19 and one at £44. Add £20 for a week's internet connection and the bill is £148 for seven nights. I started the exercise thinking I'd book for the full fortnight, but the thought of another three hours trying to reserve another 5 nights was too much for me. The nurse says I should be released in good time.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Paul Dargan wrote: Metro is cheap and reliable - probably 45mins door-to-door.
Whilst the entry form mentions the Metro, it doesn't actually name the nearest station.

I suppose staying south of the river and using the ferry (or the tunnel) is another option.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu May 10, 2012 1:10 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paul Dargan wrote: Metro is cheap and reliable - probably 45mins door-to-door.
Whilst the entry form mentions the Metro, it doesn't actually name the nearest station.

I suppose staying south of the river and using the ferry (or the tunnel) is another option.
http://britishchesschampionships.co.uk/ ... ng-around/

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 am

David Gilbert, let me join in with your smugness. We were also up early on February 10th but managed to book everything within 30 minutes - three people for 13 nights for a total of £205. See you at the Silverlink.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu May 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks to all who have given advice and suggestions.
Entries are now flooding in and I have had more cash donations to the 'GM Accommodation fund' to offer titled players.
Any titled player wishing to take up an offer of a donation towards their accommodation please get in touch.
best way to get in touch is email: [email protected]

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sat May 12, 2012 11:26 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mark Howitt wrote:It'll be interesting to see who turns up for this event... not wanting to be negative but in general in British championships, southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home.
I've just looked up the entries over the years.

Here are the entries since 2000:
Millfield 711
Scarborough 986
Torquay 963
Edinburgh 1009
Scarborough 960
Isle of Man 503
Swansea 768
Great Yarmouth 824
Liverpool 742
Torquay 935
Canterbury 891
Sheffield 951

If we ignore Isle of Man as a special case, and then rank the others in descending order of the number of entries, then you get
(1) Edinburgh 1009
(2) Scarborough 986
(3) Torquay 963
(4) Scarborough 960
(5) Sheffield 951
(6) Torquay 935
(7) Canterbury 891
(8) Great Yarmouth 824
(9) Swansea 768
(10) Liverpool 742
(11) Millfield 711

There's no evidence there to back up the claim that "southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home"; if anything, this seems to suggest that northern venues are more popular than southern venues!
I was a bit instinctive with my quote- but I'm sure most (British) players prefer the southern location. They were higher enteries in some of those earlier years in the north because the prize money was bigger and the event was open to basically... everyone! (I actually went to 2001 one and was annoyed to see Indian juniors takeaway so many prizes. Reason there were a lot of enteries in Sheffield last year was because of prize money and famous GMs- think there will be less of those this year so probably less people.