99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Cooksey

Re: 99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:37 am

I don't think anyone has commented on Lara's position, or David Welch's, since no-one was surprised by them.

I don't know why we are dignifying Mr Giddins' ill informed commentary with discussion.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm

The website has been updated to include a draft of the programme
http://britishchesschampionships.co.uk/programme/

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Entry advice for non-ECF members

I would suggest that any English players who are not already members of the ECF and wish to play in the British examine their options carefully.

If you join the ECF in July the new membership fees will apply and membership will be extended until the end of August 2013. If you enter the British postmarked 1st or 2nd July you avoid the late entry charges.

I would imagine that those receiving the entries could be very busy at the very beginning of July.

It is good to see forward thinking in action.

I suppose the idea that any non-member entering now could be offered the same deal is too radical (or perhaps too sensible).

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Wed May 02, 2012 7:27 am

The situation regarding the special offer to new members is as follows:

Anyone joining the ECF between 1 July and 31 August 2012 will pay only the annual rate for a membership extending to 31 August 2013, i.e. up to 14 months' membership for the price of 12.

Anyone joining the ECF between now and 30 June 2012 will pay a subscription which includes the annual rate on the new basis plus a pro rata element on the current basis for May and/or June as appropriate. They still receive the two free months included in the special offer for new members but start to receive the benefits of ECF membership, such as discounted entry to congresses, from the date of joining.

If a player wanted to send in their membership form during May or June to ensure that they were comfortably ahead of the British Championship deadline for avoiding late entry fees but did not want their membership to start straightaway, i.e. avoiding the pro rata payment for May and/or June, he or she could always indicate on their form that the membership was not to start until 1 July. In this case, only the annual rate on the new basis would be payable, and the individual would receive 14 months' membership for the price of 12.

As far as I know, this is an unprecedented offer. As well as encouraging take-up of ECF membership in general, it is intended to provide a boost to the 2012 British Championships and to help congresses taking place just after 1 September (such as Paignton) as we make the transition to the new arrangements.

The membership form for new members is available on the ECF website at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=2. There is also a form for members renewing in May, although in practive the office will contact them direct.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am

Simples

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 am

Good to see a reasonably sensible solution.

What a pity it wasn't in place before the entry forms were printed so that it could have been mentioned there. I assume the ECF office has been primed to apply this offer retrospectively.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:What a pity it wasn't in place before the entry forms were printed so that it could have been mentioned there. I assume the ECF office has been primed to apply this offer retrospectively.
The British Championship entry forms were printed well before the Finance Council meeting at which the membership subscriptions were set took place. The ECF's Articles and Bye Laws require that the subscription and game fee rates are set by Finance Council.

There is no retrospective application of the offer. It was launched yesterday and applies to membership forms received between now and 31 August 2012.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 02, 2012 9:39 am

Andrew Farthing wrote: The ECF's Articles and Bye Laws require that the subscription and game fee rates are set by Finance Council.
Let's not forget that what is in effect a constitutional change was put through by a simple majority. It meant that in at least one respect, the rates for juniors, the scheme is not as the ECF directors intended.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 am

Andrew Farthing wrote:The British Championship entry forms were printed well before the Finance Council meeting at which the membership subscriptions were set took place. The ECF's Articles and Bye Laws require that the subscription and game fee rates are set by Finance Council.
Did the Finance Council pass the current proposal now being put in place to extend memberships or start them before 1st October 2012? I don't recall it doing so. Without such approval the current scheme should have continued until 31st August. Thereafter, with Finance Council agreement, annual memberships could have been extended as appropriate. Even if approval of Council was not needed it would have been sensible to adopt an approach which was known of well in advanceof implication. My suggestion would have allowed for that.

Due to a lack of advance publicity, players who have recently entered the British may have been deprived the opportunity of making an informed decision as to the optimum time to enter. I do not see how this is fair and equitable.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:Did the Finance Council pass the current proposal now being put in place to extend memberships or start them before 1st October 2012?
No, but the October 2011 AGM did vote to change the Direct Members Bye Law and allow the Direct Membership Officer to extend the membership period backwards so as to include the British Championships.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks Angus,

So the Board could have made a decision sooner and let the Manager know before the entry forms were produced. Although the amount wouldn't have been known at least some reference could have been made.

I wondered why no official had replied to my previous post.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm

After working at The 4NCL this weekend I realised how many of our titled players want to but just cannot afford to spend 2 weeks playing away from home at The British Championships.

To make the tournament successful we need as many titled players as possible - everyone there (and all over the world) wants to see their favourite players playing. Without titled players you cannot make new titled players. Without titled players we don't get the hits on the website to watch the live games - which, in turn, may encourage a sponsor for future years.

Will someone out there sponsor their favourite player to play this year? Either by donating direct to the player or to me and specifying which GM, IM, WGM or WIM they would like to see at the event?

Examples:
£100 would pay someone's travel
£250 would be reasonable start money for someone who is able to stay with a friend
£500 is roughly the cost of reasonable B&B accommodation in North Tyneside for 2 weeks
£1000 would get really good conditions

A huge thank you to the people who have already pledged money for GM accommodation - 3 members of Northumberland Chess Association have pledged £500 each to support the event. :D

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm

I have read Laras message several times and taken time to digest what is being asked,
I find it a terrible situation that Lara has been forced into what in effect is going cap in hand to the average chess player and asking them to sponsor a titled player.
I ask the question which titled players want financial help before they will play, it's quite important because if I was minded to offer financial support to player A he/she may not actual need help and would see any sponsorship as spending money. let's be right not many people turn down money when it's offered on a plate.
Lara request which is very well intentioned is too open ended. That said I do have a player in mind who I know would welcome financial help and will offer it privately to him direct.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks Ernie, that would be great.

The NCA have set up an accommodation fund for titled players, so far £2,750 donated. This is purely to help titled players with their accommodation costs. I also have kind offers of 'putting someone up' from local players and their families.

There are only a couple of GMs that qualify for The British Championships who we would imagine make a reasonable living from playing chess, most are quite poor in the grand scheme of things. I am offering help to those players who, year on year, play if there is money or not. The players who demand 4 figure sums have not been offered any of this fund, but I still hope that some will gain private sponsorship to enable them to play.

If people would rather donate something towards trophies, publicity, advertising space for their company or have an event named after their loved one I am most interested. I chose to raise money for titled players as without them we will have a great event but with them we could have a fantastic event!

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm

It'll be interesting to see who turns up for this event... not wanting to be negative but in general in British championships, southern venues are more popular with quite a few players because it's closer to home. Thus southern based players will have to pay quite a bit of travel costs. All depends on money of course, if there's enough money plenty of people will play. Just depends where the funding will be from this year...