CJ

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Trefor Owens

CJ

Post by Trefor Owens » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I am aware that CJ has, since becoming President, been an effective, visible, highly enthusiastic and ground breaking President - I congratulate him on his many achievements..... I also note that he has not posted on these boards for a long while.

I think now is the time for CJ to decide whether or not he is going to remain in the position. I hope that he does, but I also hope that he gets back in touch with the rank and file members as I am worried that his continued silence on the forum is fuelling a fire that really should have, and could have, been extinguished many weeks ago.

The time for action is now, then chess in this country can move on (again)

Yours in chess
Trefor

Rob Thompson

Re: CJ

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:26 pm

The fact that he stood recently for re-election would be a strong suggestion that he wants to remain in position, I would suggest. Certianly that seems a pretty obvious conclusion to me, anyway.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:14 pm

"Dear all,

It's my pleasure to be organising another major chess event at Simpson's in the Strand on 20th August 2012.

GM Nigel Short will be playing 6 celebrities in a simultaneous blindfold display in the Regency Divan at this most historic chess venue. This will be followed by a gala dinner to celebrate our game attended by luminaries from the spheres of chess, politics and entertainment.

There will be complimentary places offered to representatives of Chess Associations throughout the UK to make this a truly national celebration which is timed to fall between the Olympic and Paralympic Games when the World's attention will be focussed on London.

I'm looking forward to another wonderful event following on from the Staunton Memorial Dinner at the same event last year which was attended by former World Champions Karpov and Kasparov.

There should be a considerable amount of very positive publicity generated by such an interesting and intriguing event. It will closely follow the 2012 British Championships and the World Junior Championships and should be an impressive curtain raiser to the Chess Olympiad which begins later in the month. This is a period of intense international chess activity and I am truly excited that such this event at Simpson's should highlight the respected position that London has in the chess community.

I'd like to take suggestions for an Arbiter and staff members for this day long spectacular and would also welcome applications from those in high positions in Chess Associations who might be interested in attending.

As before, a nominated charity will be supported by our endeavours. I was honoured to be made a Patron of The Crescent in St Albans and and am proud to be able to raise funds for this essential project to help ensure its future.

Thank to all those that have supported my efforts to stage high profile events in order to raise awareness and excitement and I hope this will provide another step forward in our ambition to popularise and publicise the wonderful game of chess.

CJ de Mooi
President of the English Chess Federation"
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:I'd like to take suggestions for an Arbiter and staff members for this day long spectacular and would also welcome applications from those in high positions in Chess Associations who might be interested in attending.
I wonder who will be first to nominate Lara or Alex? :lol:

Sorry about that, couldn't resist!

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 am

Thank you Sean :D

As a way of saying sorry for all the trouble the PCC report states he is responsible for, he could have thought of asking Lara before inviting applications.

Interesting timing of this announcement. Isn't it politicians who hide behind a damaging story by releasing good news!!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 am

A couple of links

Comment on the PCC decision
http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... rit-named/

and a report on the 2010 Simpsons event
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6671

Both by the same writer.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:A couple of links

Comment on the PCC decision
http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... rit-named/

and a report on the 2010 Simpsons event
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6671

Both by the same writer.
Anteaters: short memories, but excellent cherry-pickers.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

The Giddiness blog has gone on to comment on Lara's appointment.

Amused as I am by Roger's juxtaposition of Mr Giddins pieces, I suspect at this point if CJ cured the common cold, Mr Giddins would lead with "de Mooi linked to infectious disease, details unimportant".

The PCC findings are so lightweight they are subject to any interpretation. I see things differently to Alex and Steve. But if a compromise has been reached that is acceptable to all parties, I am not going to complain.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:58 pm

To summarise then

1) CJ has been criticised for becoming more and more out of touch with ordinary chess players. The chessplayers with whom he has spent the most time over the past year are quite clearly Nigel Short and Keene.

2) The refusal of the Board to criticise Keene's article was interpreted by many as refecting a refusal to criticise Keene. It was clarified yesterday in the PCC ruling that Keene's vitriol was entirely based on what CJ said to him.

3) It has been noted that since the chess community started to criticise CJ for his faults as well as to thank him for his time and money, he has almost disappeared from his forum

In light of all this, what was the President's reaction to the PCC ruling yesterday?

He announced another celebrity event - without visiting the forum in person - to be hosted by Keene and in which Nigel Short will play the lead role ..... one does wonder whether this is in fact all that he can do, as well as being pretty much all that he wants to do.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: - to be hosted by Keene
It doesn't actually say that in the announcement, but it might well be inferred.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: - to be hosted by Keene
It doesn't actually say that in the announcement, but it might well be inferred.
Let's go wild and infer it. We are allowed to show more common sense than the PCC.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I am curious about the Simpsons simul event:

1. Is Ray Keene involved in any way?
2. Is it an ECF event?
3. Does the ECF stand to benefit in any way?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:04 pm

1. Maybe
2. No
3. Maybe

From the ECF's point of view, it's a fundraising event organized by a third-party organization, and some of the funds raised will come to the ECF if it is sufficiently successful.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: From the ECF's point of view, it's a fundraising event organized by a third-party organization ...
Is that why the announcement here,

(a) made a point of noting CJ's position as ECF president.
(b) was posted by ECF's Director of Home Chess

?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: 3. According to his press release the moneys going to a charity.

With respect Ernie, it actually says,

"As before, a nominated charity will be supported by our endeavours ...."

which is not at all the same thing as saying "the money's going to a charity".