ECF Vacancies

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex McFarlane

Re: ECF Vacancies

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Perhaps potential applicants are waiting to see to which Director they will be responsible before putting their names forward. :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It looks as if nobody applied for the IRO job; The deadline for applications has now been removed from the ECF posting.
I know of at least one application.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:50 pm

There will be a further vacancy at director level from October as I have advised the board that I won't be standing for re-election as International Director. Until then it will be business as usual with the Olympiad and World Junior my main focus.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Lawrence

Very sorry to hear that

Thanks for all your hard work
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm also sorry to hear that Loz is stepping down, and would like to echo Mick's thanks for a job well done.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Lawrence
I'm very sorry (particularly for the ECF) that you have decided to retire from your position within the Federation. I'd like to put on record my appreciation for the excellent work you have done on behalf of the ECF. Hopefully you will continue to contribute to the Forum.
All the very best
Peter Turner
ECF Honorary Life Vice~President

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm

all of the above. I would add that it is a further shame that he is retiring from the Board. We need more Lozs on the Board and fewer chessboxers and C-list celebrities but unfortunately current trends are in the opposite direction. Maybe it is not a complete coincidence.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I would add that it is a further shame that he is retiring from the Board
Lawrence, is this the case or are you considering a different role, or alternatively not yet decided and just want to keep your options open?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm

David Shepherd wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:I would add that it is a further shame that he is retiring from the Board
Lawrence, is this the case or are you considering a different role, or alternatively not yet decided and just want to keep your options open?
Hi David,

No I'm not looking to apply for any other position on the board, I'm looking forward to a complete break from chess admin and politics from October 2012 and more time to organise and coach etc I will miss working with the players and I'm more determined than ever to do the best I can to support the teams and players at this year's Olympiad and World Junior.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Lawrence

Are you happy to carry on doing the 4NCL reporting?

Mike

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Lawrence

Thanks for taking the time to reply, like many others I much appreciate all the time and effort that you have put in over recent years and good to hear that you are intending to stay active in organising and coaching. Hopefully when your successor is appointed they will realise what an asset you are and you will be able to continue some of your work with the players if you are willing - minus the admin and politics :-)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Lawrence

Are you happy to carry on doing the 4NCL reporting?

Mike
Yes, I'll be happy to carry on with the reporting and game inputting as long as my services are required :D

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Lawrence,

I think that this bit of the thread should be a section of its own. Very sorry to read that you are no longer going to be International Director.

I have much appreciated your advice and help over the last few years.

I think that you are doing a super job and you always let us (the little people) know what is going on. Your 'information postings' to the forum are much appreciated and I hope that you will continue to do a little of that (time permitting) once you are moving onwards.

All the best for whichever projects you are taking on,

Take care and kind regards,

Krishna

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:10 pm

During the Surrey Congress, whilst purchasing refreshments, I spoke with a second person who has made themself available as a candidate for the post of IRO. He has previous experience of this post but opined that if Lawrence was putting himself forward then Lawrence was the best person for the role.

I gather that recently the Manager of Grading & Rating contacted the Director of International Chess to determine who had made himself available for the role to find that it was the DoIC himself.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm

John Upham wrote:During the Surrey Congress, whilst purchasing refreshments, I spoke with a second person who has made themself available as a candidate for the post of IRO. He has previous experience of this post but opined that if Lawrence was putting himself forward then Lawrence was the best person for the role.

I gather that recently the Manager of Grading & Rating contacted the Director of International Chess to determine who had made himself available for the role to find that it was the DoIC himself.
The main thing is that someone does the job as it's too important to be left vacant as there will be a backlog of tournaments to be registered and then submitted, particularly over a busy time like Easter.

As I understand it, no appointment has been made and there is unlikely to be one before the ECF Finance meeting at the weekend at the earliest.