ECF Vacancies

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby John Upham » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I believe that Sean is submitting rating results to FIDE directly without the need for an IRO. The question is will other FIDE rated events go down this road also?
Chess Images: http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess
IT Manager for the British Chess Magazine: http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Twitter: @jeupham
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.upham

David Sedgwick
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby David Sedgwick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm

John Upham wrote:I believe that Sean is submitting rating results to FIDE directly without the need for an IRO. The question is will other FIDE rated events go down this road also?

Any such arrangement can only be a very temporary expedient.

The FIDE Rating Regulations specify that:

"9.3 Each national federation shall designate an official to coordinate and expedite qualification and rating matters. His name and details must be given to the FIDE Secretariat."


LawrenceCooper wrote:The main thing is that someone does the job as it's too important to be left vacant as there will be a backlog of tournaments to be registered and then submitted, particularly over a busy time like Easter.

I agree completely. I consider it essential that the Board makes an appointment no later than the day of the Finance Council Meeting, even if has to reconvene after the Council Meeting to do so.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 7402
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I consider it essential that the Board makes an appointment no later than the day of the Finance Council Meeting, even if has to reconvene after the Council Meeting to do so.


Spare a thought for those of us with fixed-time return train tickets. :cry:

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 am
Location: London

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Obviously the submission of rating material is more important, but since the IRO duties are being discussed here, can I ask who maintains a list of FIDE ENG-registered players who currently hold norms (IM, GM, WIM, WGM and others if there are others) that haven't been "cashed in" (i.e. converted into a title)? I'm asking because I saw in Adam's advert for Lorin D'Costa's simul that he has two GM norms. I know Adam Hunt also has two, and Jonathan Hawkins has two as well, but there is likely a long list of others with various norms. Is there a public listing of these available?

PS: This page:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=2975

Lists Hawkins as an FM, but his FIDE rating page lists him as an IM:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=412686

I've e-mailed the ECF webmaster (following other corrections I sent in last year).

Really, though, someone (possibly the IRO, possible someone else) should give the online list a thorough check for discrepancies against a current masterlist, where-ever that is held.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 7402
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:PS: This page:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=2975

Lists Hawkins as an FM, but his FIDE rating page lists him as an IM:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=412686

I've e-mailed the ECF webmaster (following other corrections I sent in last year).


I guess the relevant question is: Did anyone tell him? One can't blame the webmaster for having incorrect information on the website if no one told him which information should be included.

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Really, though, someone (possibly the IRO, possible someone else) should give the online list a thorough check for discrepancies against a current masterlist, where-ever that is held.


I've seen someone produce this list before, so such a thing exists.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby LawrenceCooper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:PS: This page:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=2975

Lists Hawkins as an FM, but his FIDE rating page lists him as an IM:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=412686

I've e-mailed the ECF webmaster (following other corrections I sent in last year).


I guess the relevant question is: Did anyone tell him? One can't blame the webmaster for having incorrect information on the website if no one told him which information should be included.

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Really, though, someone (possibly the IRO, possible someone else) should give the online list a thorough check for discrepancies against a current masterlist, where-ever that is held.


I've seen someone produce this list before, so such a thing exists.


I compiled a list for the last IRO but I've not seen an updated list from him since then.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 am
Location: London

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I've e-mailed the ECF webmaster (following other corrections I sent in last year).


I guess the relevant question is: Did anyone tell him? One can't blame the webmaster for having incorrect information on the website if no one told him which information should be included.


The other corrections I e-mailed were in 2011. Hawkins became an IM in 2010. I'm not sure whether the online list back then was also incorrect, or whether it was correct and there was a complete overwrite that introduced a new error. Probably the former, as back in 2011 I didn't check every entry (unsurprisingly), and only noticed when checking something else. So what probably happened is that the change from FM to IM in 2010 didn't get passed on from the person responsible to the webmaster. I wouldn't blame the webmaster at all in this (he has responded efficiently to other corrections I've pointed out), and my original post didn't touch on that issue (Alex was the first to use the 'blame' word).

[For completeness, the other updates that went 'missing' that I noticed were: Thomas Hinks-Edwards to be moved from the FM column to the IM column, notified 3 April 2011, corrected the next day; and Yang-Fan Zhou to be added to the IM column, notified 12 July 2011, corrected the next day.]

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 11961
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I compiled a list for the last IRO but I've not seen an updated list from him since then.


The FIDE site has a list, the ENG GM one is http://ratings.fide.com/title_norms.pht ... ountry=ENG

It's previously been claimed to be incomplete.

Paul Dargan
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Paul Dargan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Well that link only shows a single GM norm for Hawkins, I'm pretty sure he has a couple, one from last season's 4NCL and one from the British - so I'd tend to agree with the incomplete assessment.

User avatar
Phil Makepeace
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:46 am

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby Phil Makepeace » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
John Upham wrote:The web site lists the following positions as being vacant:

...
Manager of Prisons Chess
....



Is this position really vacant? I recall it being reported that it had been filled.


It has now.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Vacancies

Postby John Upham » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Does this person have any knowledge of Turkish Delight? It was a poor joke at the time...
Chess Images: http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess
IT Manager for the British Chess Magazine: http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Twitter: @jeupham
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.upham


Return to “ECF Matters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest