English Chess Forum

A home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: Evesham
See:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?p=16825

Bids up to March so no online membership for quite some time I presume

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:20 pm
Posts: 93
Quote:
The ECF is undertaking a review of its website and branding. The ECF invites tenders from relevant suppliers for the following services:
1) Redesign of ECF logo


The ECF at last has got its priorities right.

Some years ago the BBC converted its logo from BBC to BBC for a mere £100,000.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: Evesham
When does online membership need to happen by is the question?

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Posts: 7312
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Carl Hibbard wrote:
When does online membership need to happen by is the question?


I believe the intention is to have it up and ready as soon as possible, but I don't see why it'd be needed earlier than April. After all, we don't actually know what we'd be charging for these memberships until April 15.

_________________
April 26-27: National Club Championships
July 12: County Championship Finals Day
July 19-August 2: British Chess Championships


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Posts: 858
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
When does online membership need to happen by is the question?

I believe the intention is to have it up and ready as soon as possible, but I don't see why it'd be needed earlier than April. After all, we don't actually know what we'd be charging for these memberships until April 15.

Is there a timetable and a list of requirements available for prospective suppliers?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Posts: 7312
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Angus French wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
When does online membership need to happen by is the question?

I believe the intention is to have it up and ready as soon as possible, but I don't see why it'd be needed earlier than April. After all, we don't actually know what we'd be charging for these memberships until April 15.

Is there a timetable and a list of requirements available for prospective suppliers?


A list of requirements has been made available for prospective suppliers.

If by "a timetable" you mean, do they know when we need it by, the answer is yes.

_________________
April 26-27: National Club Championships
July 12: County Championship Finals Day
July 19-August 2: British Chess Championships


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 661
Redesigning of the ECF logo, does that cost money?

If the ECF run a competition and let the juniors come up with a design, they'll get some good ones for free and be able to then choose the best. The village where we used to live ran a competition to design the school logo and they came up with a very good one.

Just a thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 2348
Redesigning a logo does cost money; Here is the last time it happened.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2077&hilit=logo

I wonder if it will be Create Services again?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Posts: 932
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Interestingly, the current logo is largely absent from the website. I found it on the 'About the ECF' page, and it also makes a couple of appearances on the British Championship entry form. Otherwise it seems to have disappeared from public view.

_________________
Ian Kingston
www.iankingston.com
square65.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Posts: 3334
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Adding on-line membership does not require redesign of the web site. The ECF Office is lucky to have an employee who is a WordPress expert and to outsource work when a competent full-time employee exists would seem not to be a rational way forward.

Functionally for on-line membership can be added to the WordPress site as a plug-in.

Work will be required to integrate the current Access based membership database to the Payment front-end.

I have suggested that the current membership db be migrated from Access to MySQL and that membership be managed via a secure browser based interface.

Once in MySQL then integration with the WordPress membership plug-in will not be too challenging.

The other problem to solve will be securely handling credit card and direct debit type transactions.

However, believe it or not, the ECF will not be the first organisation to require so solutions are available out-of-the box.

My invoice to follow! :lol:

_________________
Chess Images: http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess
IT Manager for the British Chess Magazine: http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Twitter: @jeupham
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.upham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: Evesham
John Upham wrote:
The other problem to solve will be securely handling credit card and direct debit type transactions.

This is of course the harder bit...

The current ECF site in WordPress looks pretty horrible by the way?

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Posts: 3334
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Carl Hibbard wrote:
The current ECF site in WordPress looks pretty horrible by the way?


Could you post a mock-up of what it should look like?

BCM is revamping its WordPress site for an impending launch. We went through several iterations before most of us were happy!

_________________
Chess Images: http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess
IT Manager for the British Chess Magazine: http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Twitter: @jeupham
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.upham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: Evesham
John Upham wrote:
Could you post a mock-up of what it should look like?

WordPress and it's blog like nature means quite important details often "drop" off the bottom and are hard to ever locate again

The site needs to be of an alternate format with a blog or twitter etc. only as a secondary element

But what do I know :roll:

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Posts: 858
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Angus French wrote:
Is there a timetable and a list of requirements available for prospective suppliers?

A list of requirements has been made available for prospective suppliers.

If by "a timetable" you mean, do they know when we need it by, the answer is yes.

Would it be possible to make this information publicly available?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Posts: 7312
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Angus French wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Angus French wrote:
Is there a timetable and a list of requirements available for prospective suppliers?

A list of requirements has been made available for prospective suppliers.

If by "a timetable" you mean, do they know when we need it by, the answer is yes.

Would it be possible to make this information publicly available?


That I don't know. Ask the relevant Director.

_________________
April 26-27: National Club Championships
July 12: County Championship Finals Day
July 19-August 2: British Chess Championships


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group