Finance Council Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Farthing

Re: Finance Council Meeting

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's no great surprise that the ECF is having difficulty setting a budget. It has no real idea of its future income, given that it's conditional on the go/no go decisions of around seven or eight thousand individuals.
The Board did set a budget and submitted it to Council. The point which I made at the meeting, and which appeared to be accepted, was that the changes decided during the meeting were material enough for the budget as submitted to require reworking. Even had the meeting been able to reach this stage before 5.40, when the Finance Director had to leave, I do not believe that a recalculation on the hoof would have been a serious possibility.

I would agree that the changes decided by Council make a material difference to the income assumptions, and this will need to be thought through (urgently).

In general terms, the impact of Council's decisions could be summarised as follows:

(1) Removal of complexity. In process terms, the removal of the different rates depending on the achievement of an 85% threshold of membership makes things clearer and easier.

(2) Addition of new complexity. There are now difference 'pay to play' fees (in non-junior only events) depending on whether the player is an adult or a junior. Also, the proposed simplified game fee structure has been "de-simplified" again.

(3) Increased risk of discouraging new/ungraded players. With the passing of the 85% threshold also went the clause relating to such players not being counted as non-members for the purposes of the threshold if they had not played more than three games.

(4) Increase in the cross-subsidy of junior chess activity by adult players. The game fee rates applicable to junior events are a quarter of the rates applicable to non-junior events. This is a bigger difference than now; currently, Game Fee for junior is half the comparable rate for non-junior events. On the other hand, some have argued that the changes may result in the avoidance of lost income (through juniors not participating in graded competitions under the arrangements as originally proposed) or an increase in junior chess activity. What is undoubtedly true is that the new situation requires completely new assumptions to be made.

(5) Increased polarisation. There is arguably a greater incentive to become an ECF member or remove oneself from the ECF framework entirely. The universal £2 game fee rate for standard play in all non-junior events, even where a high percentage of members exists, will undoubtedly lead to strong reactions. It's possible that it may lead to higher membership take-up in some parts of the country, where it will be considered that the balance of the financial arguments favours membership in a larger majority of cases. It is also possible that the universal £2 rate will lead to a fall in the number of graded games, as Roger has argued, and the assumptions about this will need to be reviewed urgently.

The full implications are difficult to assess. I think reactions across the country will be different from what would have been the case under the proposals as submitted, but I don't know the extent or the direction of the difference.

The guidance given by Council, when asked, was that, if the revised budget indicates lower income than in the original budget, this should be reflected in a reduction in the International Chess budget.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:33 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: Bequest/ Donations 8233
If this item doesn't contain any element of carried forward income from Canterbury, are we to assume this answers the question posed by various blogs as to how much was contributed directly by the President, the President's Personal Company or activities connected with the President? Noting this is the same amount as previously recorded, presumably it reflects cash going through the ECF's books?
The £8233 does not include any carried forward income from Canterbury. It includes £7500 contributed by the President, following the fund-raising activities in which he had been involved in the preceding months. Monies from these fundraising activities had also been used to fund support for Jovanka Houska's participation in the Women's World Championship last year. (The balance of the £8233 comes from the many and various donations from a large number of individuals, as happens at other congresses.)

The British Championship accounts do not include whatever payments the President may have chosen to make in his personal capacity and from his own pocket to individual players to help ensure the strongest possible entry to the British Championships. Such payments are a private matter.

Irrespective of one's views on some of the other matters raised at Council yesterday, it should be acknowledged that the President did make a very positive contribution to the success of the 2011 Championships as a chess event. I do not believe that the Darwin Strategic sponsorship would have been obtained without his efforts, and he supplemented this with other fundraising efforts as indicated above. As a result, an event which had been budgeted on the basis that it would achieve a £4,000 deficit actually produced a surplus of over £2,100 (with the potential for a further £700 or so from VAT recovery). This was achieved while simultaneously producing a far stronger event than would otherwise have been the case.

In writing this, I expect to be criticised by some for ignoring the negative and focusing on the positive. This is not what I am saying, but several Council members yesterday expressed concern that only the negatives on the President's "balance sheet" of achievement were being voiced. I share this concern, hence my comments.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:My prediction - this is going to be a long afternoon.
You weren't wrong. Thanks to a "lightning strike" or "cable theft" between Paddington and Reading (depending on which Network Rail official I was talking to), it proved to be quite a long evening as well...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 am

I am still confused about Sheffield. The sponsorship to date is £8,233, which Andrew Farthing says comes mainly from the President. OK that's fine, but what has happened to the Darwin sponsorship? Maybe it has just been removed from the accounts. This begins to look the case when we see that appearance fees expenditure are £0, but oh no we then have other (expenditure) creeping in at £15,766. If I were suspicious I could say someone had made a same error in addition. This is because £15,766 looks remarkably similar to the forecast other expenditure of £5,352 + £8,233.
We are still left with the question of what has happened to the Darwin sponsorship?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 am

Perhaps this is an easier way of understanding the problem. There are two areas where CJ/Darwin sponsorship might appear in the accounts (sponsorship and bequests/donations). There appears to two areas where CJ/Darwin expenditure might be shown in the accounts (appearance fees inc hotels and other)

To date
sponship + donations = £8,233
appearance fees + other = £13576

deficit = £5343

forecast
sponsorship +donations = £21,233
appearance fees + other = £17,952

surplus = £3281

That seems a big differnce 6 months after the event.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I am still confused about Sheffield. The sponsorship to date is £8,233, which Andrew Farthing says comes mainly from the President. OK that's fine, but what has happened to the Darwin sponsorship? Maybe it has just been removed from the accounts. This begind to look the case when we see that appearance fees expenditure are £0, but oh no we then have other (expenditure) creeping in at £15,766. If I were suspicious I could say someone had made a same error in addition. This is because £15,766 looks remarkably similar to the forecast other expenditure of £5,352 + £8,233.
We are still left with the question of what has happened to the Darwin sponsorship?
You need to look at the accounts (posted earlier in this thread by John Philpott). The relevant numbers are in the column in bold, headed "2011/12 Forecast". The Darwin sponsorship is shown separately in the line called "Sponsorship". As has been stated previously, it totalled £13,000 plus VAT £2,600. All figures shown in the accounts exclude VAT. The £8,233 Bequest / Donation figure is quite distinct from the sponsorship.

The Darwin sponsorship monies were disbursed in conditions for players in the main championship. Some of these disbursements took the form of payment for accommodation costs, and it is these payments (in the order of £4000) on which VAT may be recoverable, as alluded to in the note to the accounts. For what I hope are understandable reasons, the details of the arrangements made with individual players are a confidential commercial matter, and these will not be made public. This is reflected in the accounts under Gross Expenditure in the "Appearance Fees (inc hotel)" line. Contrary to your statement that the figure is £0, the figure is stated as £12,600.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 am

Just for the understanding of Matthew and others who were not in attendance and have not had the opportunity to see the minutes yet.

This revision Andrew refers to was distributed to Council on the day, since it was "just in time". There were several thanks to John Philpott for the work he had done to prepare it, most notably from David Welch.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:38 am

Andrew, just explain, to date sponsorship + donations = £8,233. Are you saying that the Darwin sponsorship has not been received yet OR that only £8,233 has been received from Darwin so far and nothing from CJ.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Andrew, just explain, to date sponsorship + donations = £8,233. Are you saying that the Darwin sponsorship has not been received yet OR that only £8,233 has been received from Darwin so far and nothing from CJ.
Check the PDF on the third post of this thread
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 am

Paul and Carl,
Andrew is putting forward the forecast accounts as the bona fide accounts. Then there is indeed £13,000 from Darwin and £8,233 from donations (mainly CJ). However, the to date accounts only show £8,233 coming in. Why is another £13,000 suddenly going to appear and where has it been until now?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:46 am

Andrew Farthing wrote:The British Championship accounts do not include whatever payments the President may have chosen to make in his personal capacity and from his own pocket to individual players to help ensure the strongest possible entry to the British Championships. Such payments are a private matter.
They may be, but if they remain so, do we have any reason to think they are other than imaginary? And if we don't have a proper accounting of monies that were disbursed on our behalf, how do we know where the private stops and the on-our-behalf begins?
Andrew Farthing wrote: I do not believe that the Darwin Strategic sponsorship would have been obtained without his efforts
What's your reason for saying so?
Andrew Farthing wrote:In writing this, I expect to be criticised by some for ignoring the negative
Not as such, but up to now you have ignored the question I put earlier on the thread, to which I would not mind having a clear reply.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 am

Paul Buswell wrote
Thanks John: a link to chapter and verse in the ECF's papers would be appreciated
The relevant rules as they now stand can be found in the definition section of the Bye Law No. 1 The Direct Members Bye Laws which can be downloaded from the ECF website either as a standalone document at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -20111.doc or as part of the Rules Handbook at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... t-2011.pdf. The AGM document that proposed the relevant amendments to this Bye Law can be found at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... w-No-1.doc

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Paul and Carl,
Andrew is putting forward the forecast accounts as the bona fide accounts. Then there is indeed £13,000 from Darwin and £8,233 from donations (mainly CJ). However, the to date accounts only show £8,233 coming in. Why is another £13,000 suddenly going to appear and where has it been until now?
I think the point is not that the sponsorship is "suddenly going to appear", but that both it (and the matching expenditure on conditions) is currently missing from the draft accounts and will be appended in the final version. ie. it's about accounting not actual cash.
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 am

I think I get Matthew's point. But since I see John is now on line, I'll make way for the expert :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 am

There were a lot of changes looking closer even the John Robinson trust figure was reduced from 12,000 to 10,000
Cheers
Carl Hibbard