What has the ECF Marketing Director done for us?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex McFarlane

What has the ECF Marketing Director done for us?

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:59 am

We all know what the Romans did for Britain, but can anyone tell me what Tim Woolgar has done for the ECF?

I can list a few things he hasn't done (or at least are not visible) but has he actually done anything positive?

What he hasn't done.
a) Produced anything explaining the new membership scheme
b) Produced any promotional material for the British Championship
c) Made any suggestions on better promoting the British Championships
d) Done anything to enhance the President's (diminishing) reputation

What he has done.
a) Told the British Manager he will get back to her when he was less busy.

Perhaps the ECF officials who read this (Adam R, Alex H, Andrew F, Mike G to name but a few) will be kind enough to enlighten us. I had hoped that one of the documents for the ECF Council meeting might have thrown a little illumination on the subject but it appears not.

Carl Hibbard

Re: What has the ECF Marketing Director done for us?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Not this candidate 89

Enough said :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Judea, surely?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Not this candidate 89

Enough said :roll:
I suspect that Not this Candidate may do rather better next time around.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I did receive unsolicited chess boxing marketing email (including to this address) so it would be nice to clarify if any ECF lists have been made available externally?

I never opted in to anything and had to unsubscribe :!: so a check with the information commissioner might be in order

Anyone else?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Wearing my BCM hat I would claim that none of us have received any communications from the Director of Marketing.

Without the above hat on I believe I have binned items from the Director of ChessBoxing.

Any news on my suggestion for the creation of the role of Director of Communications? This might be more to the point.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I did receive unsolicited chess boxing marketing email (including to this address) so it would be nice to clarify if any ECF lists have been made available externally?

I never opted in to anything and had to unsubscribe :!: so a check with the information commissioner might be in order

Anyone else?
I did not receive any chess boxing marketing material to the email address I gave to the ECF (and where I receive occasional legitimate ECF emails). Unless they hand-picked addresses, I'd say the ECF might not be responsible for those.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:Perhaps the ECF officials who read this (Adam R, Alex H, Andrew F, Mike G to name but a few) will be kind enough to enlighten us
Looks like ECF Officials have no idea what he has done either ..... or is there a Board decision to ignore all questions from me (not just emailed ones)?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Alex McFarlane wrote:Perhaps the ECF officials who read this (Adam R, Alex H, Andrew F, Mike G to name but a few) will be kind enough to enlighten us
Looks like ECF Officials have no idea what he has done either ..... or is there a Board decision to ignore all questions from me (not just emailed ones)?
There's a personal decision from me to answer questions that aren't my responsibility to answer. The question you asked is best answered by Andrew, or another full Board member.

Ask me questions about the Voting Register, Counties Championship, or anything else I'm responsible for answering, and an answer will be provided.

The only other information I could usefully provide for you is that I believe Andrew is on holiday, and Mike is probably otherwise engaged running the Surrey Congress/Rapidplay.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Alex,

you are privvy to Board minutes and as such I assume that you would receive regular updates from the Marketing Director. You're answer seems to indicate that this is not happening. Is this because you haven't received minutes or because you haven't heard from the Marketing Director?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 pm

In passing, I can confirm a sighting of the Marketing Director at the Finance Council Meeting. He didn't express a view on anything, and looked like he might die of boredom for significant periods (understandably...). But still, I am sure his loved ones will be happy to hear he is safe and well.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:In passing, I can confirm a sighting of the Marketing Director at the Finance Council Meeting. He didn't express a view on anything, and looked like he might die of boredom for significant periods (understandably...). But still, I am sure his loved ones will be happy to hear he is safe and well.
In fairness, what business transacted at today's meeting required any significant input from the Marketing Director?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: In fairness, what business transacted at today's meeting required any significant input from the Marketing Director?
The ECF wants a lot of individuals to become members of itself. Classic territory for marketing surely, "grow the business".

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I was puzzled that when questions were asked that were the remit of the DoM they were answered by either the Chairperson or the CEO.

I left the meeting for five minutes but at no point (apart from that) did I notice a contribution from the DoM.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 pm

One might think (pace Keene) that the reluctant benefit of the doubt given to CJ was quite a bad result, coming as it did from the same Council which apparently thought that TW might be at all appointable as a Director.