What has the ECF done for me lately?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Dupré

What has the ECF done for me lately?

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:06 am

Just been looking at Tony Gaffney's (London based) Up-To-Date Grading List from No.3 January 86 (yes over 26 years ago), it make interesting reading. You got list of events included in the grading list, and details of grading publication requirements (minimum 15 games and maximum 50 <= latest I would assume). Though stated updated monthly, not sure that was ever achieved. And a great quote from Tony
Tony Gaffney wrote:In the interest of promoting chess amongst newcomers by giving them a grade as quickly as possible I will grade ½ hour or longer. I appeal to any organisers to send me their results for grading (no charge). I need both pairing cards and entry forms (returned within a fortnight). Incidentally, there are at least 2 'sharks' in this list who have been entering Major & Minor tournaments with much success. Please feel free to use if as a fishing rod.
Though only 217 published in this edition, there was a pool of over 1,200 currently active players. The latest edition I have (No.15 April 88) had over 6,000 active players, with over 1,000 published names. Along with tournament results, fixture list, Top Twenty's (mens list, ladies list plus several age groups).

I personally think if we got that now from the ECF, on a monthly basis, sent to all members, chess in this country would rocket again.

After all, I've been a member now since May 2011 and received nothing for my £60.00 fee. OK, I've got access to their website and this forum, but "No Marketing = No Sales" in my book. What do others think.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Roger de Coverly

Re: What has the ECF done for me lately?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:20 am

Paul Dupré wrote: I personally think if we got that now from the ECF, on a monthly basis, sent to all members, chess in this country would rocket again.
Surely for English chess to "rocket", it needs many more players. You don't get that by sitting in a membership bunker however often you play one another.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 am

To paraphrase John F Kennedy: Ask not what the ECF can do for you, but what you can do for English chess.

I have been recommending more requent grading lists for about 48 years. Tony Gaffney listened and London congress chess at that time thrived. By the way, a standard long game counted x 3; a weekend event or adjudicated x 2; and rapidplay x 1.

The BCF advertised for a grading officer. Tony applied and they selected somebody else.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:07 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:I have been recommending more frequent grading lists for about 48 years
If there had been monthly or quarterly grading lists 48 years ago by 1979 the grading list would have imploded. You would have had to do a 2009 style rehash without the benefit of a PC computer unless you used the IBM 5100.

It’s fortunate no one listened to you.
Last edited by E Michael White on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 am

Stewart Reuben said:
To paraphrase John F Kennedy: Ask not what the ECF can do for you, but what you can do for English chess.
For many people ECF membership is not value for money. Not all players want to be philanthropists or, those who do, may prefer to support other deserving causes which are registered as charities.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 am

The ECF and subsiduary Chess bodies desparately need volunteers to take up posts that remain unfilled, and to take some of the load off those volunteers who are actually trying to do far too much in many cases.
This is true of all such social & cultural bodies, that perform a hugely valuable service in our community.
All such bodies should make concerted efforts to seek & welcome new volunteers to fill positions. Without these noble efforts, English chess will continue to struggle. Many of the posts required only a pair of willing hands to give up a few hours of there spare time, to keep the wheels turning.
Most players simply want to play chess and stay clear of any organisational activities, but it is vital that those who can help serve the cause come forward.
Those interested should check out various websites...league, county, Union and National, which give details of key contacts and news.....and ask what is going on, and if any volunteers are needed. Or simply talk to club secretaries and team captains. Despite various `challenges`, this can be quite rewarding, and significant amounts of help is often available from within these bodies.
This is a big challenge, and the ECF should give it major prominance, as should local chess bodies.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 am

E Michael,
What I wrote was I recommended more frequent grading lists. Even two a year would have been an improvement.
The USCF managed more than one a year, indeed I think monthly (although my memory is fallible). They didn't implode. The grading system could have been amended. If the attitude had been to have as frequent grading lists as possible, by now we would have had monthly ones. For FIDE I recommended monthly rating lists in 1999 and to go down to 1000. It took 12 years to get there.

John Townsend >For many people ECF membership is not value for money. Not all players want to be philanthropists or, those who do, may prefer to support other deserving causes which are registered as charities.<

What I asked was what people could do for English chess, not what they could do for the ECF.
I don't get direct benefit from that portion of tax that I pay going towards education. But, with educated self-interest, it is obvious that it is in my best interests for young people to be better prepared.
The ECF membership fee isn't much money. It would be easier to give value for money if the fee were higher, as a substantial part goes in collecting the money. Against that, we wouldn't want to go down the government's route of collecting money and then giving some of it back to the tax payers. That is very inefficient.