Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Re: Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:And what is this 'chess in Africa'? Africa is a continent of dozens of countries, not some homogeneous entity for which someone may speak.
Someone needs to tell
Mr. Lakhdar MAZOUZ. Address, 7 rue Omar Amimour, Alger, Algeria. Phone, +21321658538. Fax, +21321658538.
this also as he is allegedly President of the African Chess Union.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Presumably he has more empathy with English chess than US or Russian chess.
So much empathy that he's been involved with English chess for...sorry, how long now? A fortnight?
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Just total ££$$it, isn't it!?
Manifestly so, but my experience as a football-watcher is that a fair proportion of people never get tired of ths stuff and are always to be willing to be conned by it again. Still, maybe the experience of the similar BS-merchants Woolgar and CJ will make people think a little harder about this particular version.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote: Presumably he has more empathy with English chess than US or Russian chess.
So much empathy that he's been involved with English chess for...sorry, how long now? A fortnight?
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Just total ££$$it, isn't it!?
Manifestly so, but my experience as a football-watcher is that a fair proportion of people never get tired of ths stuff and are always to be willing to be conned by it again. Still, maybe the experience of the similar BS-merchants Woolgar and CJ will make people think a little harder about this particular version.
Maybe but as I said earlier it is not my sense so far.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think this the first time since Martin Regan first applied that there are four contested elections for Directors.

Can someone please organise some hustings before the big day as there wont be enough time at the meeting to give all their election addresses full justice - even with the extra hour the meeting has been granted.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 pm

There is something rather distasteful in saying that you want to be elected as part of a team, rather than wanting to be elected to serve the ECF.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

The ECF will offer a consolidated asset (ALL of English chess, here and abroad, at every level, every event, any individual) for sponsorship..
Interested members of the Executive Board and the Council will draft a proposal for control of the asset and allocation of revenue;
And today on the agenda... a proposal to sell Sir Roger to Australia ;)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Finally, some have questioned how much time I will be able to dedicate to the ECF.
Have they?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Should we prepare for - the Americanization of the ECF?

"If it be now,'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all..."

(I make no apologies for interjecting a hint of real chess into this boiling pot earlier today.)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: ... maybe the experience of the similar BS-merchants Woolgar and CJ will make people think a little harder about this particular version.
Maybe but as I said earlier it is not my sense so far.

Not sure it's mine either. Is the chess world any different in that regard to anywhere else, though?

I mean if i was to phone up Lords tomorrow and tell them,

"look, I want do something really tasteless like land a flapping great helicopter on the outfield, flash loads of cash, organise some tossy cricket matches and, by the by, grope a few of the players' wives while I'm at it"

can you imagine the reply being anything other than,

"loads of cash, you say?"

Quicker than you could say "Stanford's in prison now" there'd be some Stewart Reuben equivalent pitching up on the English Cricket Forum informing everyone of how I'd seen a game on the telly once and visited St Johns Wood when I was a nipper.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Having now digested the election addresses;

If there is one good thing there seems to be an absence of mud slinging; this contrasts with this time last year when we had Short vs Jones and the last act of the CJ opera. Indeed none of the candidates make any reference to their rivals. The main question I would personally like to ask all involved is this; if they do not win are they willing to work with the winning candidate? In particular would Phil Ehr be happy if Roger Edwards remained President (this would be my preferred combination)?

I'll also say this; allowing for the fact that Paulson is divisive and Moore a relative unknown, every single candidate is a credible candidate. Given the events of the last couple of years this is more than we deserve.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again - Malcolm Pein's endorsement must surely be critical here.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Why, have the rest of us no brains?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:43 pm

There is nobody standing for election at this AGM that I would be unwilling to work with.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Why, have the rest of us no brains?
No because Malcolm Pein is the sole person in English chess who a) commands almost universal respect from both professionals and grassroot players and b) rises above politics and (unlike most people) delivers his promises. I'm not saying we should follow him blindly off a cliff but if he speaks strongly in support of or against a specific candidate we should heed his advice.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Applause [can't find suitable emoticon]

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
No because Malcolm Pein is the sole person in English chess who a) commands almost universal respect from both professionals and grassroot players and b) rises above politics and (unlike most people) delivers his promises. I'm not saying we should follow him blindly off a cliff but if he speaks strongly in support of or against a specific candidate we should heed his advice.
Oh, FFS. I've known Malcolm for 40 years. The last thing he'd accept is this kind of ridiculous servility #embarrassing