Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Paulson

Re: Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mike Gunn wrote:I suggested this to AP but he wants to become President.

bien sur! But isn't this what everyone expected? AP's interests are in FIDE/India/Africa - he has no history in the ECF at all. And just being a commercial director of the ECF isn't going to give him any extra clout or prestige over there, is it?
Just being President of the ECF is not going to give me any extra clout over there either, I can tell you!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mike Gunn wrote:I suggested this to AP but he wants to become President.

bien sur! But isn't this what everyone expected? AP's interests are in FIDE/India/Africa - he has no history in the ECF at all. And just being a commercial director of the ECF isn't going to give him any extra clout or prestige over there, is it?
Just being President of the ECF is not going to give me any extra clout over there either, I can tell you!
:) Well, let's take the opportunity to ask you what FIDE has asked you to achieve in Africa?

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I suggested this to AP but he wants to become President.
:) Well, let's take the opportunity to ask you what FIDE has asked you to achieve in Africa?[/quote]

Jonathan,

FIDE asked me nothing. FIDE pays me nothing. Going to Africa was my initiative. I found some preliminary interest from governments and companies to use chess to spearhead a long-term program to create intellectual role-models in Africa. It is still germinating. I have answered all of your questions with such patience and respect. Why are you so hostile?

Andrew

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 pm

I have spent the last month speaking to league players.Congress players,NCCU reps ect i have posted stuff on local forums so i have done all i can to consult people.I have some freedom with some of my votes tommorrow and will make my decisions after i hear the candidates speak.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:
:) Well, let's take the opportunity to ask you what FIDE has asked you to achieve in Africa?
Jonathan,

FIDE asked me nothing. FIDE pays me nothing. Going to Africa was my initiative. I found some preliminary interest from governments and companies to use chess to spearhead a long-term program to create intellectual role-models in Africa. It is still germinating. I have answered all of your questions with such patience and respect. Why are you so hostile?

Andrew[/quote]

You are right to say that I am concerned about your bid to become President (and opposed to it, not that I have a vote), but the question about Africa was asked through genuine interest and not hostility.

Much of my opposition derives from the uncertainty surrounding your relationship with Kirsan. I know that you negotiated your contract with others, but few believe that anything of importance happens without Kirsan's blessing and I don't suppose that I am the only one to infer that Kirsan might have selected you and left the contractual side to others.

But also I still wonder what you have achieved in the chess world and what you have to offer the ECF. AGON has received plenty of criticism, as you know. Much seems to depend on ambitious projects which are yet to come to fruition, which led to my question about Africa. I understand that you might not want to go into details at this early stage but it leaves the rest of us with very little to go on.

You said yourself some time ago that you anticipated that you would be treated as an outsider. I still don't think we know enough about you and some earlier exchanges gave the impression that you don't (yet) know much about the ECF and might be reliant on others for important information. If you were prepared to take on the commercial role first, and learn about the ECF that way, and if you were to be successful, then probably everyone would support your bid to be President. But you are asking us to appoint you directly on trust and I don't that think we should appoint Presidents on that basis.

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Andrew Paulson wrote:
Jonathan,

Andrew
You are right to say that I am concerned about your bid to become President (and opposed to it, not that I have a vote), but the question about Africa was asked through genuine interest and not hostility.

Much of my opposition derives from the uncertainty surrounding your relationship with Kirsan. I know that you negotiated your contract with others, but few believe that anything of importance happens without Kirsan's blessing and I don't suppose that I am the only one to infer that Kirsan might have selected you and left the contractual side to others.

But also I still wonder what you have achieved in the chess world and what you have to offer the ECF. AGON has received plenty of criticism, as you know. Much seems to depend on ambitious projects which are yet to come to fruition, which led to my question about Africa. I understand that you might not want to go into details at this early stage but it leaves the rest of us with very little to go on.

You said yourself some time ago that you anticipated that you would be treated as an outsider. I still don't think we know enough about you and some earlier exchanges gave the impression that you don't (yet) know much about the ECF and might be reliant on others for important information. If you were prepared to take on the commercial role first, and learn about the ECF that way, and if you were to be successful, then probably everyone would support your bid to be President. But you are asking us to appoint you directly on trust and I don't that think we should appoint Presidents on that basis.[/quote]

Jonathan,

I really don't share your concern about Kirsan. He did 'select' me, as he was the first person in FIDE I met and I told him I could help him and he sent me on to negotiate with Makropoulos. This is public record. What makes you think that this in some way pollutes me?

I created two companies in Russia which now, merged, form the largest online media company in Russia (~$400m). They are also the only media companies in Russia which maintained a rigorous separation of the journalists from the influence of the government, the shareholders and the advertisers. No censorship. Do you understand what that means? Judge me on what I have done; understand what is my reputation. I am a bit shy to boast about these things too much, but how could meeting Kirsan transform me into a fiend?

I have also brought two successful top-level chess events to London: the Simpson's Grand Prix and the 2013 Candidates. There were numerous innovations and the media coverage was immense: CNBC, CNN, BBC, Reuters, Bloomberg, Time, Newsweek, Businessweek, The New Republic, New York Magazine, The New York Times, The FT, The Economist ... I did that!

Vishy Anand said, “It has been maybe the best ever Candidates tournament in history." (ChessVibes, 3/4/13)

Albert Silver in ChessNews said, "There is little question that the 2013 Candidates tournament will be remembered as more than just one of the strongest events in history, it will also be remembered for memorable games, great combativity, and enough drama for a Hollywood blockbuster.” (29/3/13)

You propose that I should come and work for a year as your ad salesman? Get a grip, man.

Andrew

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:43 pm

This question has probably been asked above but perhaps not quite as bluntly; Mr Paulson, do you think world chess is well served by a figurehead who travels the globe claiming to have been abducted by aliens and seeking photo opportunities with Colonel Gaddafi? Yes or no?

While I have you, if Roger Edwards wins tomorrow but with Phil Ehr as Chief Executive (the latter election almost certainly the case) what will be your expectations for the twelve months ahead?

EDIT I have now read your lengthy post elsewhere which answers my first question.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:This question has probably been asked above but perhaps not quite as bluntly; Mr Paulson, do you think world chess is well served by a figurehead who travels the globe claiming to have been abducted by aliens and seeking photo opportunities with Colonel Gaddafi? Yes or no?

While I have you, if Roger Edwards wins tomorrow but with Phil Ehr as Chief Executive (the latter election almost certainly the case) what will be your expectations for the twelve months ahead?

EDIT I have now read your lengthy post elsewhere which answers my first question.
Roger is a great guy. As I've said, I hope that if I win he will remain a voice of wisdom and stability that I can lean on when there are troubles. If he wins, I'm sure that the rest of the elected team will work very well together with him and he'll have my best wishes. What will happen? Lots of great things will happen because it is a great team, but probably none due to the fact that he is President.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I left my question deliberately open but I specified Phil Ehr's likely election for a reason - will you be working with him behind the scenes even if the ECF doesn't feel ready to elect you to the Presidency at this moment in time?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote: Jonathan,

I really don't share your concern about Kirsan. He did 'select' me, as he was the first person in FIDE I met and I told him I could help him and he sent me on to negotiate with Makropoulos. This is public record. What makes you think that this in some way pollutes me?

I created two companies in Russia which now, merged, form the largest online media company in Russia (~$400m). They are also the only media companies in Russia which maintained a rigorous separation of the journalists from the influence of the government, the shareholders and the advertisers. No censorship. Do you understand what that means? Judge me on what I have done; understand what is my reputation. I am a bit shy to boast about these things too much, but how could meeting Kirsan transform me into a fiend?

I have also brought two successful top-level chess events to London: the Simpson's Grand Prix and the 2013 Candidates. There were numerous innovations and the media coverage was immense: CNBC, CNN, BBC, Reuters, Bloomberg, Time, Newsweek, Businessweek, The New Republic, New York Magazine, The New York Times, The FT, The Economist ... I did that!

Vishy Anand said, “It has been maybe the best ever Candidates tournament in history." (ChessVibes, 3/4/13)

Albert Silver in ChessNews said, "There is little question that the 2013 Candidates tournament will be remembered as more than just one of the strongest events in history, it will also be remembered for memorable games, great combativity, and enough drama for a Hollywood blockbuster.” (29/3/13)

You propose that I should come and work for a year as your ad salesman? Get a grip, man.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Certainly you are a very highly successful business man, and to operate without censorship in Russia is saying something. I did not suggest that you should offer yourself for another ECF post. What I said was that if you did do that, and succeeded, then your candidacy for President would not be open to the same questions. It is no problem that you don't want to do that, but it means that you are largely unknown to us. Chess players have reasons to be cautious. Kirsan was unknown when he suddenly became President of FIDE. CJ's temperament only became evident when it was too late. It does matter that we should get to know you for ourselves, especially since you have ideas which sound radical but lacking in detail.

Yes, I know that you don't share my concerns about Kirsan. Well, there it is. I think you understand that they are far from being only my concerns. They are the almost unanimous concerns of the organisation which you are seeking to lead.

For all of that, I will congratulate you if you do achieve things for chess on the world stage.

Jonathan

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I left my question deliberately open but I specified Phil Ehr's likely election for a reason - will you be working with him behind the scenes even if the ECF doesn't feel ready to elect you to the Presidency at this moment in time?
I'm sure that Phil and Roger will be working very well and closely together if I am not elected President. I don't think that it would be appropriate for me to 'work behind the scenes'. And to what end?

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Andrew Paulson wrote: Jonathan,

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Certainly you are a very highly successful business man, and to operate without censorship in Russia is saying something. I did not suggest that you should offer yourself for another ECF post. What I said was that if you did do that, and succeeded, then your candidacy for President would not be open to the same questions. It is no problem that you don't want to do that, but it means that you are largely unknown to us. Chess players have reasons to be cautious. Kirsan was unknown when he suddenly became President of FIDE. CJ's temperament only became evident when it was too late. It does matter that we should get to know you for ourselves, especially since you have ideas which sound radical but lacking in detail.

Yes, I know that you don't share my concerns about Kirsan. Well, there it is. I think you understand that they are far from being only my concerns. They are the almost unanimous concerns of the organisation which you are seeking to lead.

For all of that, I will congratulate you if you do achieve things for chess on the world stage.

Jonathan
But, Jonathan ... be concrete. You know that I don't share your concerns about Kirsan. What ARE your concerns about Kirsan? That he has bitten me and vampire blood courses through my veins? What exactly do you feel are the issues relevant to ECF of my having met the President of FIDE? You think I have been corrupted? How?

Andrew

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:I left my question deliberately open but I specified Phil Ehr's likely election for a reason - will you be working with him behind the scenes even if the ECF doesn't feel ready to elect you to the Presidency at this moment in time?
I'm sure that Phil and Roger will be working very well and closely together if I am not elected President. I don't think that it would be appropriate for me to 'work behind the scenes'. And to what end?
As I'm sure you'll appreciate the English chess community (with the exception of a few conspiracy theorists) don't have any objection to you per se, they're just slightly reluctant to take a gamble; particularly after the failure of the de Mooi presidency. A year spent supporting the current board in their activities might well be a prelude to a successful candidacy in 2014.

It's worth noting that I believe Nigel Short has said he will not stand as FIDE delegate if attempts to replace Kirsan fail in 2014. While this will be a sad loss for English chess it may also mean a different approach to FIDE.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Andrew, I don't think that Kirsan has bitten you. The problem is rather that it is difficult to understand anyone who does not have concerns about Kirsan. When we started these exchanges some time ago, you said that Kasparov would be divisive as though to suggest that Kirsan has not been - but in fact the developed countries and the less developed countries are now on polar opposite sides in the chess world. Moreover, while we should respect you for your financial acumen, what should we think of anyone who doesn't see that FIDE under Kasparov might attract serious mainstream sponsorship in a way that FIDE under Kirsan will never do?

Your relative sympathy for his Presidency - you only think he should go because he has been there for so long already - makes one wonder about your judgement and knowledge of the chess world in the last 20 years.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:28 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Mr Paulson,
Two weeks or so ago you said you were looking forward to actively engaging with people on this forum, and since that point you have fallen silent, just to reappear again at the last minute?
You also mentioned that you would organise meetings in some Pubs in London for open discussions/ Q & A sessions, etc..., with a visit to northern England promised. Did any of this happen? If so, can you tell us about these.
You keep talking about FIDE matters here, which account for about 1% of chess players interests and concerns here, but is clearly your pet subject?
Lots of talk about business acumen that you might bring.?? If you`re going to be excluded from discussions of business related matters, due to potential conflicts of interest/ vested interests, etc, what is the point of you being onboard?
With all your current business and other commitments, how are you going to fit in the obligations and expectations to attend various board meetings and fulfill any meaningful role, if elected?
Assuming you really can offer commercial expertese to the ECF, do you not think this might be better served by being at arms length from the ECF organisation, and simply offering your help in a voluntary/consultancy capacity.
The potential for conflicts of interest look positively mind boggling, some might think.
BRING BACK THE BCF