Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: Nominations for the elections at the ECF AGM

Post by John Philpott » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 am

Neville Belinfante wrote
May I ask will all the Director's reports and papers for the meeting also be available on the website at the same time as the election addresses? Since papers were put on the web instead of being posted two years ago, I have found it difficult to keep up as new papers keep being drip-fed onto the website. It is especially annoying when important financial papers only appear less than 24 hours before the meeting, meaning there is not enough time to fully digest their contents beforehand. This is further compounded if spare paper copies are not available at the meeting
The final election address reached me within the last hour, so all the addresses will be in the public domain, as planned, in the morning. Most of the directors' reports are, however, still being worked on. On the agenda I have made a distinction between papers expected to be available by no later than Saturday (i.e three weeks ahead of the meeting) and others. I take Neville's point about drip-feeding, and am currently thinking in terms of a bulk upload of further documents towards the end of the week.

There will be a number of documents not available then, and some of these do relate to finance. I would like to say something about this, given that finance is one of the areas with which I closely involved. While the ECF's financial year end was 30 April, it was indeed most unsatisfactory that final or indeed even near-final accounts regularly failed to be available for a meeting taking place the best part of 6 months after that year end. With the change of the year end to 31 August, it is now the Finance Council meeting in April rather than the AGM which will be asked to approve the statutory accounts. However, despite the fact that the AGM is now only just over six weeks after the year end, I am absolutely determined that there will be a robust set of accounts and commentary available for the meeting. This is not a trivial task, and while I will do my best I do not think, given the extent of my other ECF commitments, that these are likely in practice to see the light of day much more than a week before the meeting.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm

The election addresses have now been published at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about-2/ ... and-board/

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What fun we're about to have :shock: :shock: :shock:

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 pm

The ECF webmaster has now helpfully produced a zip file containing all 13 election addresses at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... resses.zip

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 pm

David Robertson wrote:Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What fun we're about to have
I don't know about team Ehr, but there seems to be a team Paulson. Or is it a team Kirsan?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I don't know about team Ehr, but there seems to be a team Paulson.
Indeed. Who is on the Paulson team which Phil Ehr refers to?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Quite. No chance of gleaning any such information from AP's own address, where he makes exactly the sort of promises and drops the sort of names that I had expected.

Incidentally, it turns out that it is one Kurt Moreby who is actually running for Junior Director!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:10 pm

"I particularly like to build things of honour, beauty and glory. "

Good Lord.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:I don't know about team Ehr, but there seems to be a team Paulson.
Indeed. Who is on the Paulson team which Phil Ehr refers to?
Isn't it Ehr, Openshaw and, possibly, Summerscale/Moreby? By the way, when did the role of president change from figurehead to leader?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:, where he makes exactly the sort of promises and drops the sort of names that I had expected.
He seems to be asserting marketing rights that surely the ECF doesn't have.
The ECF will offer a consolidated asset (ALL of English chess, here and abroad, at every level, every event, any individual) for sponsorship
The British Championship Congress and Counties Championship belong to the ECF, but other events that might have value such as Congresses, 4NCL, London League etc., are surely the property of the organisations who run them. In the unlikely event that TV rights to the 4NCL had any value, income from this would go straight to the 4NCL rather than the ECF. Equally I would think individuals would resist the notion that they represented a consolidated asset for sponsorship.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 pm

JustinHorton wrote:"I particularly like to build things of honour, beauty and glory. "

Good Lord.
Things like the electronic display pieces used at the Candidates?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:24 pm

No election statement from Nigel Short. Anyone know what he thinks of the statements of AP and Phil Ehr about a new relationship with FIDE?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

David Robertson wrote:Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What fun we're about to have :shock: :shock: :shock:
Supposed to be an address not everyone giving their team nominations?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm

It feels like a stark choice of options between "high-risk / high reward" and "low risk / low reward"

The alternative characterisations of the two sides might be:

Pro-Paulson: "visionary, exciting, radical, outgoing, revolutionary, inspiring, ambitious"

Anti-Paulson: "risky, vainglorious, fly-by-night, power-hungry, stepping-stone for bigger ambitions, no real chess experience, no commitment to British chess, no understanding of cultural / organisational context, untrustworthy"

Pro-Edwards: "safe, evolutionary, secure, steady, competent, experienced"

Anti-Edwards: "backwards looking, lacks vision, no strategy, stick-in-the-mud, dull, uninspiring"

So what's the best option?

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm

None of the above?

Seriously, what would happen if both candidates were beaten by none of the above?