Jack Rudd's candidacy for NED: Q&A thread

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
IM Jack Rudd

Jack Rudd's candidacy for NED: Q&A thread

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm

As mentioned in the nomination thread. Feel free to ask relevant questions, and I will answer them as best I can.

David Sedgwick

Re: Jack Rudd's candidacy for NED: Q&A thread

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Do you consider that over the last year or two there has been an increasing estrangement between the Board and members of Council? If so, how would you address this?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:18 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Do you consider that over the last year or two there has been an increasing estrangement between the Board and members of Council?
It cannot have been as bad as when several directors walked out. Blow by blow accounts at the old atticus forum
http://www.atticuschess.org.uk/forum/ph ... 52&start=0

One of the resigners is standing again for director.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Do you consider that over the last year or two there has been an increasing estrangement between the Board and members of Council? If so, how would you address this?
It's difficult to judge with certainty, given my short time on either organization, but the atmosphere at the last Council meeting certainly seemed somewhat strained. Addressing this would be no easy task, because I think there are probably a number of causes, all intertwined.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Next question:
Do you accept that any substantial growth in English chess needs to emerge from the grass roots? If so, what measures would you urge the ECF to take to spread chess much more widely at the grass roots level in the future?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm

What are the top three objectives you personally will work on as an ECF director?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

John Townsend wrote:Next question:
Do you accept that any substantial growth in English chess needs to emerge from the grass roots? If so, what measures would you urge the ECF to take to spread chess much more widely at the grass roots level in the future?
That's probably a question for DoMM candidates rather than me, but nevertheless I'll try to say something on it. From where I'm sitting, it seems that the closer you get to the grass roots level, the harder it becomes for the ECF to have any meaningful involvement - that's usually best done by local people who have some idea of what market to target and how to target it.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Let's bowl a googly, where do you stand on Sean's proposals for OMOV?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe another googly: how much can individuals (including NEDs and other directors) actually affect what happens? Is there anyone able to provide leadership and direction for the ECF at present, with a do-able agenda that has the full support of the Board and Council? Or are things too constrained by lack of funds or lack of co-operation?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:54 pm

And a bouncer: is the Company model the most effective form of corporate governance for an organisation like ECF?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:What are the top three objectives you personally will work on as an ECF director?
My role, as an NED, is not really the sort of active role that has "objectives" as such; it's more one where I lend my expertise to things I can reasonably contribute to, and try to keep a watchful eye on our overall activities.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Let's bowl a googly, where do you stand on Sean's proposals for OMOV?
I don't think there's any harm in working out whether the idea is feasible. If it is, then we can decide whether it's good.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Maybe another googly: how much can individuals (including NEDs and other directors) actually affect what happens? Is there anyone able to provide leadership and direction for the ECF at present, with a do-able agenda that has the full support of the Board and Council? Or are things too constrained by lack of funds or lack of co-operation?
The funding situation should improve in the next few years. Co-operation might or might not be an issue, although my experience of Council meetings is that sensible proposals tend to get treated sensibly for the most part.
David Robertson wrote:And a bouncer: is the Company model the most effective form of corporate governance for an organisation like ECF?
Quite possibly not. Corporate governance is not really my area of expertise, though.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:36 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
David Robertson wrote:And a bouncer: is the Company model the most effective form of corporate governance for an organisation like ECF?
Quite possibly not. Corporate governance is not really my area of expertise, though.
Hhmm...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Do you think that the ECF suffers from a deficit or an excess of transparency?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Do you think that the ECF suffers from a deficit or an excess of transparency?
Yes, here may not be the place but somewhere :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard