Chess as a Sport in the UK

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Chess as a Sport in the UK

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 pm

PeterFarr wrote: I guess people are more likely to go along with a claim along the lines of "chess is a useful educational tool for these types of pupil (x), in these circumstances (y) because it helps in this way (z)." than with a more blanket assertion.

Maybe. Certainly that's the kind of thing we (by which I mean, those of us who are interested in the area) we need to aspire to. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out something like,

the inherent benefits of teaching chess to children are (a), (b) and (c), it seems particularly valuable for (x) in circumstance (y) and/or for (x1) in circumstance (y1).

The EEF research programme is certainly a very interesting and important initiative. That said, whatever the outcome turns out to be I would hope that it isn't used to reinforce the idea that the *only* goal for teaching chess in schools (or for anything that happens in schools) is enhancing formal academic attainment.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 pm

If I remember my history I believe the late Tony Banks was very much in favour of chess as a sport but his successor (Kate Hoey) was less keen and the matter fell through. I also believe that as the motion failed a certain amount of time must elapse before it can be considered again (I seem to recall Andrew Farthing being asked that on this forum a few years ago).

It IS desirable (chess as a sport) and should be a long term goal, however with an austerity program and the sporting lobby arguably at its strongest it's not going to happen any time soon and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: The EEF research programme is certainly a very interesting and important initiative. That said, whatever the outcome turns out to be I would hope that it isn't used to reinforce the idea that the *only* goal for teaching chess in schools (or for anything that happens in schools) is enhancing formal academic attainment
*very loud applause* :D

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: The EEF research programme is certainly a very interesting and important initiative. That said, whatever the outcome turns out to be I would hope that it isn't used to reinforce the idea that the *only* goal for teaching chess in schools (or for anything that happens in schools) is enhancing formal academic attainment.
The Chess in Schools project is about much more than enhancing formal academic attainment. Our training courses emphasise the benefits in a wide range of cognitive and behavioural areas:-

Thinking Skills (concentration, persistence, logical analysis, problem solving, decision making, objectivity)
Positive Attitude (patience, learning by trying, self discipline)
Communication (listening, questioning, conveying complex concepts)
Social Skills (etiquette, sporting behaviour, win graciously, lose with dignity)
Inclusivity (mixing age/gender/race/class/disability)

Chess gives children greater confidence. They enjoy learning something complicated. They get to speak to children outside their circle. They become aware of the rich history, geography and languages of this most ancient of games. They obtain a skill for life which they can use throughout the world.
These are very strong reasons to give children the opportunity to play chess at school. If the children also go on to improve their academic performance then so much the better. Of course, some children do not blend into chess, but at least they have had the chance to find out for themselves.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 pm

John Foley wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: The EEF research programme is certainly a very interesting and important initiative. That said, whatever the outcome turns out to be I would hope that it isn't used to reinforce the idea that the *only* goal for teaching chess in schools (or for anything that happens in schools) is enhancing formal academic attainment.
The Chess in Schools project is about much more than enhancing formal academic attainment.

Hello John,

For the record, I quite deliberately wrote 'chess in schools' - i.e. the general concept - and not 'Chess in Schools' with capitals - i.e. the specific organisation/programme.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 am

John Foley wrote:The Chess in Schools project is about much more than enhancing formal academic attainment. Our training courses emphasise the benefits in a wide range of cognitive and behavioural areas ....
Morning John,
Now I've got a bit more time ...

yes, lots that we can talk about in terms of the potential benefits of teaching chess in schools. In fact the the element that I happen to think is the most important of all isn't even mentioned in your list.

Still, the EEF's announcement only mentions maths scores as an evaluation outcome. Clearly this is not a bad thing to measure, but neither is it the only thing.

Not that some folks over-focusing - as I would see it - on academic attainment is an issue just for chess in schools. That does seem to be a bit of a thing in education at the moment. Perhaps because of the nature of the political debate these days?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 pm

"Social Skills (etiquette, sporting behaviour, win graciously, lose with dignity)"

Absolutely - sadly, many adults need to be taught this as well.