Roger Edwards -- Candidacy for ECF President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Roger Edwards -- Candidacy for ECF President

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:46 am

Would anyone like to ask RE questions about his candidacy?

I don't know if he will engage with this place to answer them.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John McKenna

Re: Roger Edwards -- Candidacy for ECF President

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am

Good of you to ask. We already have the 'Cinderella Man' so why not the 'Quiet Man', too.
Of course, if he prefers to remain silent, or pleads the 5th amendment, I'll understand.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:16 am

John...
Jack Rudd started this theme off, because he wasnt prepared to submit a personal statement in support of his candidacy.
Nigel Short also doesn`t feel inclined to submit a personnal statement either?
Maybe they feel that they would simply like to be judged by there records....not a bad idea. Its not like these people are unknown entities...they have served British chess significantly over many years, for which due credit is merited.
Here`s what Geoff Chandler had to say about this `circus`...it is a stark warning....

Hi Jack,

Why you want to get involved in all these boards is beyond me.

You are still young, your OTB play will suffer.
These endless bickering meetings will suck the creavity out of you
and you will become a dry husk, a shadow of your former self.

I mean just look at them squabbling amongst themselves now and this is only your mandate.

Come back when you are 55 and have the GM title and triple Britsh Championships under your belt
and you feel the need to give something back.

Pull out, just say "I quit" then give yourself a complete chess make over.
Look at the strides Sabrina has made after dropping the thankless load that she took on.
(and the keyword is 'thankless', one mistake and this lot will gleefully rip you to shreds.)

Your peers, Howell, Jones, Adams, McShane etc don't get involved with none of this nonsense.
You have a gift, use it, don't let it stagnate around the tables of these ECF Mad Hatter Tea Party meetings.

So, what do you think of that John.
Yes, from a news and media perspective, I can see you`d relish this chat show.
And what of the other candidates...should they all step forward?
I see that Carl took the unusual step of saying that Andrew Paulsen should be treated like a special guest?
There might well be a place for such people in the ECF... special advisors are in short supply.

But no-one so far has come up with anything new.
We all know that the ECF would like more funding, (mainly for the top table of English chess, our GMs, & the International scene),and strenuous efforts have been made by our various volunteer Officers, who commit hours of there spare time for free to try to drive forward the ECF conglomarate.
And so many experts sitting on the sidelines. Yes, I`m sure that places could be found for them all in the great English chess scene.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am

John Upham wrote:Would anyone like to ask RE questions about his candidacy?

I don't know if he will engage with this place to answer them.
Inspiring! Who will be first to ask, then?!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:08 am

While Jonathan Rogers and the rest of us wait for some passing Godot to ask a question I'll take the time to belatedly answer -

David Pardoe >John... (Using your trademark so soon, David.)
Jack Rudd started this theme off, because he wasnt prepared to submit a personal statement in support of his candidacy... (Permission to use your trademark assumed.)<

In my opinion, it was good for us that Jack started the ball rolling even though it did threaten to crush him - like that giant one in Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom.

David Pardoe >Here`s what Geoff Chandler had to say about this `circus`...it is a stark warning....<

I largely agree with what Geoff wrote that you quote above and think that Jack would be safer if he ran away to join the Cirque du Soleil instead.

David Pardoe >So, what do you think of that John. (David, I'm trying to tell you what I think of that and this... [with your permission])
Yes, from a news and media perspective, I can see you`d relish this chat show.
And what of the other candidates...should they all step forward?
I see that Carl took the unusual step of saying that Andrew Paulsen should be treated like a special guest?
There might well be a place for such people in the ECF... special advisors are in short supply.<

I hope that Andrew Paulson will be treated like the 'special one' and not confused with just any old Andrew Paulsen(s).

David Pardoe >But no-one so far has come up with anything new.<

I beg to differ, as I think our 'special one' has proposed some new things. (See his election address and candidacy thread.)

David Pardoe >We all know that the ECF would like more funding, (mainly for the top table of English chess, our GMs, & the International scene),and strenuous efforts have been made by our various volunteer Officers, who commit hours of there spare time for free to try to drive forward the ECF conglomarate.
And so many experts sitting on the sidelines. Yes, I`m sure that places could be found for them all in the great English chess scene.<

David, you always seem in favour of an 'all hands to the pumps' approach but even if the flagship HMS ECF is still taking water - despite Rear Admiral Roger Edwards steadying the ship - this [?] and other related threads are for discussing the election of Admiral of the fleet and the flag officers by our Admiralty Board, which meets so very infrequently that it should not be distracted from the great business at hand by petty officers, like your good self, who would be advised to raise their concerns with the Navy Board.

(I know that I am only a 'Jack Tar' - my father was a Jock Tar in the Royal Navy in the final years of WW II and then in the Merchant Navy and tried to get me to run away to sea but I stubbornly refused to go. Now I somewhat regret that.)

Apologies to you for being a bit flippant, and to Roger Edwards for using his name in vain in his [?] thread, but it is Sunday. (I know that's really no excuse.)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 am

John,
There`s an old engineering adage, i.e., if it aint bust, don't fix it. And UK chess is far from bust.
As I said on another thread, we have a huge variety of chess events in this country, that caters for every taste, and provides a veritable gold mine of chess playing opportunities, supported and organised by an army of experienced, competent, and knowledgeable chess volunteers, who give much time for free, in the interests of British chess. For 95% of players this probably adequately meets there chess playing needs, and really should be celebrated.
Roger Edwards is one of our senior Arbiters, who travels the length and breadth of this country, helping to organise and run these excellent events. amongst the flock, and always approachable, if anyone has any chess related matters that they want to discuss. We are very lucky to have such people, who are prepared to roll up there sleeves and make significant contributions to chess in this country.
I believe the current ECF board have generally done a pretty reasonable job this year, under difficult circumstances, and deserve.another term to see if they can build on that.
That we should contemplate handing over the reigns of power to an `outsider` who claims to know almost nothing about our UK chess scene, plays no chess, and offers Gold, Frankincense and Ehr, does look rather strange, and begs some questions, many may feel. Should it be quite so easy for a `stranger from afar`, to be able to stand for high office at the ECF, a highly regarded `not for profit`, major cultural organisation?
And is it (the ECF), really a charity... yet another question that merits serious consideration and debate? The ECF AGM needs to consider such matters very carefully, and whether it really would be wise to split our chess body into yet smaller fragments? Who might benefit...and who will lose out? Would the rump ECF become a meaningless non entity?

It will be interesting to see how much support there is for messrs Clissold, Cooper, and Moore, etc...who undoubtedly have much to offer.
Should there be a sort of `court of star chamber` to provide the board with expert support and guidance...made up of a variety of `experts`, the great, and the good...
There are those who yearn for the great days of Fischer to return. Fischer was a true legend, the like of which may never be seen again.
Let the ECF AGM deliberate on these matters carefully, and hopefully deliver a sound verdict.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 am

David Pardoe wrote: That we should contemplate handing over the reigns of power to an `outsider` who claims to know almost nothing about our UK chess scene, plays no chess, and offers Gold, Frankincense and Ehr, does look rather strange, and begs some questions, many may feel.
The Streatham blog asks much the same question.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... tuous.html

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Pardoe wrote: That we should contemplate handing over the reigns of power to an `outsider` who claims to know almost nothing about our UK chess scene, plays no chess, and offers Gold, Frankincense and Ehr, does look rather strange, and begs some questions, many may feel.

David Pardoe and the Streatham Blog, have conveniently overlooked that the BCF elected Steve Davis as their President, in the not too distant past.
Roger Edwards is a safe pair of hands, but Andrew Paulson does offer radical change, which could benefit the ECF, in the long term.
Would like to see Andrew Paulson, and Roger Edwards, live on television, being asked some hard questions by Stewart Reuben.
We can then put the vote to the ECF membership, to decide the most suitable candidate for President.
Last edited by Gordon Cadden on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am

Gordon Cadden wrote: David Pardoe and the Streatham Blog, have conveniently overlooked that the BCF elected Steve Davis as their President, in the not too distant past.
I think that was a case of appointing rather than electing a President. It was always understood that the role was to be purely ceremonial, to have a name on the headed paper and someone to turn up to open events and present prizes. The practical head of the BCF at the time was Stewart Reuben as Executive Chairman. When Steve Davis stood down, they reverted back to the notion of an Executive President.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 am

I agree with those who are sceptical about Mr Paulson's candidacy, although I don't subscribe to the worst of the conspiracy theories. There is something however that is worrying me deeply.

I feel the chess playing community is generally quite hostile to change. If somebody comes along with a grand vision and money to - potentially -back it up we are (rightly) suspicious of their motives, not helped by the de Mooi experience. At the same time chess as a pasttime in this country is NOT a growing concern. It is generally the same players at matches and congresses year after year, getting slightly greyer each time.

Somebody somewhere has to break the mould and try a different approach. We need reform, we need investment. If Andrew Paulson is not the man for the job - who is? Let's not forget that not electing the right man is as damaging a move as electing the wrong man.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 am

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:

David Pardoe and the Streatham Blog, have conveniently overlooked that the BCF elected Steve Davis as their President, in the not too distant past.
I've no connection with David Pardoe - don't even read his contributions here usually - and I didn't write the post on the Streatham Blog that Roger linked to, but the idea that the Steve Davis Presidency is somehow comparable or in any way relevant to the Andrew Paulson candidacy is beyond fanciful.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 am

Jheesh, I saw 10 posts on this thread all of a sudden and actually wondered whether Roger Edwards might have started campaigning !! :lol: :roll:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:48 am

David Pardoe seems to have been promoted to Chief Petty Officer to the incumbent Admiral, responsible for morale.
Keep up the good work David, but don't overdo it - we don't want the crew in too high spirits.
The incoming Admiral has suggest meeting for grog at a tavern prior to the AGM.
That might win more hearts, minds and votes than pep talks, which can begin to sound like harangues if repeated too often.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 pm

"offers Gold, Frankincense and Ehr, "

very good!