ECF Elections - Statement by Malcolm Pein

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Elections - Statement by Malcolm Pein

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:10 pm

John Upham wrote: Is there a conflict of interest if a board member is a promoter / organiser of chess events or perhaps charges a fee for coaching or any other commercial chess activity?

Can you be clear that you recommend that no ECF Director (even named official) should have a commercial interest in chess?

Please clarify...
The small nature of the chess world is such that overlaps are inevitable. But in general it isn't desirable for the awarders of contracts to also be the recipients. The BCF faced this many years ago, when it realised that the movers and shakers behind approaches to FIDE to get the BCF awarded rights to events were also those to whom the BCF would turn to run the events if awarded.

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: ECF Election

I’d like to echo the sentiments expressed by Malcolm, John Cox, Simon Brown, Paul McKeown and others on this and related threads.

I believe that the ECF needs individuals with the energy and ability of Andrew Paulson.

However, I am dismayed that Andrew has not yet been able to distance himself from Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

I hope that someone at Council asks Andrew a question along the following lines:-

Given Ilyumzhinov’s well-documented record of human rights abuses, do you agree with me that FIDE’s top priority is to rid itself of his influence? Will you therefore publicly endorse Kasparov’s candidacy for FIDE Presidency?

If the answer is an unequivocal ‘yes’, I trust that the various individuals who are loosely representing me (4NCL, CSC, London League, Middlesex, EPSCA, etc., etc.) will vote for Andrew Paulson.

If the answer is otherwise, with reluctance I think that they should vote for Roger Edwards.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: The small nature of the chess world is such that overlaps are inevitable. But in general it isn't desirable for the awarders of contracts to also be the recipients. The BCF faced this many years ago, when it realised that the movers and shakers behind approaches to FIDE to get the BCF awarded rights to events were also those to whom the BCF would turn to run the events if awarded.
OK, so now convert this into a specific byelaw that you might like to see the ECF adopt.

Something along the lines: "No Director or named official of the ECF (or BCF) shall have a known commercial interest in chess......" I would imagine is what you had in mind.

I must resign as an ECF Manager since I provide coaching in schools not for free, I develop software not for free, I am involved with BCM not for free, I provide chess photographs not for free.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Peter Sowray wrote: Given Ilyumzhinov’s well-documented record of human rights abuses, do you agree with me that FIDE’s top priority is to rid itself of his influence? Will you therefore publicly endorse Kasparov’s candidacy for FIDE Presidency?
If he wants to retain influence in FIDE, he cannot answer that question in the affirmative. Or if he does, only in such a way that it doesn't get back to FIDE.

I think he seriously underestimated the anti-Kirsan sentiment amongst many or most of the English chess players who take any interest in international chess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm

John Upham wrote: OK, so now convert this into a specific byelaw that you might like to see the ECF adopt.
It's not practical in the slightest. If you are going to have a vaguely nebulous Code of Conduct, it can go in there. Perhaps take a idea from MPs and have a Register of outside interests if there's a desire to formalise it. Wasn't there a problem with the ECF's IT a while back, when the manager at the time wanted to divert all the expenditure towards his own companies?

Are you aware of the Montenegro story? It's known or rumoured that the big Junior events massively overcharge for food and accommodation. The profit that the local Federation was expecting to earn to keep it going for the next couple of years has, allegedly, found its way to an organisation controlled by its President.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:32 pm

John Upham wrote: Yes please!
Do you think players might have something to hide?
They ought to test the officials and arbiters also.
You know what will happen. Players will refuse to be tested. The ECF can then suspend them from being members which bans them from playing chess under the Compulsory Membership schemes some seem so keen on.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:47 pm

John Upham wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: Beyond that you have the potential for conflict of interest and disclosure of confidential material if a Board member is also the proprietor of a chess business, the editor of a magazine and a columnist for a national newspaper.
Is there a conflict of interest if a board member is a promoter / organiser of chess events or perhaps charges a fee for coaching or any other commercial chess activity?

Can you be clear that you recommend that no ECF Director (even named official) should have a commercial interest in chess?

Please clarify...
Serious perceived conflicts of interest, vested interests, and other potential bear traps (such as a candidate being unlikely to have the time due to business or other commitments, to regularly attend board meetings and carry out the duties effectively), should certainly be a serious bar to candidates for senior ECF roles.
Many will perceive this to be applicable to Mr Paulson, and could severely restrict his ability (and other ECF officers), to act impartially and in the best interests of British Chess, I would suggest. These problems could flair up at any time and seriously comprimise the ECFs position.
Many concerns have been raised and remain unanswered, so the delegates should consider these matters very carefully before casting there votes on Saturday.
Various caricatures of the candidates that have been put about in certain quarters are totally ridiculous...the latest being `Hope` v `Malaise`...and others like `Chaos` v `Stagnation`.
I am reminded of the critics of Roy Hodgson as England football manager...all sorts of derogatory terms have been used, ...grey, dull, uninspiring, etc...but he has done a pretty good job, many will feel, given limited resources.
Last edited by David Pardoe on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Are you aware of the Montenegro story? It's known or rumoured that the big Junior events massively overcharge for food and accommodation. The profit that the local Federation was expecting to earn to keep it going for the next couple of years has, allegedly, found its way to an organisation controlled by its President.
Yes, but my understanding is that this sort of thing only matters if it happens abroad, especially if it involves Kirsan. Conflicts of interest at home are something we pretend not to understand.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 pm

John Upham wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote: I also find his belief that he can successfully lobby a future British government to label chess a sport incredible,
Would you be upset if he was able to help make this happen Paul?
Naturally not.

However, my question remains, "how, when many other have failed?"

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Perhaps take a idea from MPs and have a Register of outside interests.
Yes, I think the ECF should have this. If any ECF Officer receives income from a chess source this should be publicly listed so that everything is seen to be above board.

I notice that on his election thread, Phil Ehr has said the same - I've emboldened the text which is especially relevant:
Phil Ehr wrote:I’m taking a bit of a leap into Nigel Short’s providence, but don’t think he’ll mind. I support Andrew Paulson’s commitment to recuse himself from the ECF position in the FIDE presidential race. Such recusal is a mature position that should be adopted more often, although recusal for all instances of overlapping interests is not practical in our small community. Too few recusals is one reason I wrote in my election address, ‘Adhere to the highest standards of public accountability in financial matters, business awards, overlapping personal interests and conduct’. Those interests are real--whether at the level of earning pocket money from chess employment to business opportunities to ECF selections of players, coaches and arbiters--and effect member perceptions of directors and managers. The present Board registered an intention (although no action) to implement a register of interests as previously introduced by Andrew Farthing. Council members could help with that project as well as the elusive Code of Conduct. For important context, please see the final part of my Junior Director’s report.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ddress.pdf
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... Report.pdf
In the meantime, I invite all candidates who are standing for election to a Director position and who visit this forum (so far as I know: Andrew Paulson, Phil Ehr, Alex Holowczak, Lawrence Cooper, Julian Clissold, myself - Angus French, Sean Hewitt and Jack Rudd) to declare their interests. (If a candidate coaches many individuals then I don't think there's any need to list the individuals - I think it would be sufficient to say something like 'Provides coaching to individuals'.)

I'll start by declaring my own interests: I have no interests to declare (the officer posts I hold for the Croydon & District Chess League, for Surrey County Chess Association, and for Streatham & Brixton Chess Club are voluntary); I receive no income from chess (rare instances of prize money from tournaments excepted); I am entirely independent.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am

Angus French wrote: Yes, I think the ECF should have this. If any ECF Officer receives income from a chess source this should be publicly listed so that everything is seen to be above board.
I'm reminded that Nigel Short commented indirectly on this. He suggested that perhaps organisers or Federations wishing to curry favour might offer him invitations with conditions. On balance, his belief was that being an outspoken Delegate was counter productive to his earning potential.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 am

I'm sometimes paid a small amount over and above expenses to arbit tournaments. I very occasionally get fees for being an IM in a title-norm tournament. Apart from that, I have no interests to declare.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:45 am

I receive fees or honoraria as an arbiter at several events. I could list them if required to do so, but I'm not convinced of the necessity of my so doing.

If people feel that there is a conflict of interest with my role as ECF Manager of Arbiters (International), then it would probably be better if I stepped down from that position.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:55 am

David Sedgwick wrote:I receive fees or honoraria as an arbiter at several events. I could list them if required to do so, but I'm not convinced of the necessity of my so doing.

If people feel that there is a conflict of interest with my role as ECF Manager of Arbiters (International), then it would probably be better if I stepped down from that position.
Oh, I think the tournaments should be listed, David, but there's absolutely no need to step down. As Phil Ehr said 'recusal for all instances of overlapping interests is not practical in our small community' and I think the tournaments qualify you for your position of 'ECF Manager of Arbiters (International)'.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I'm sometimes paid a small amount over and above expenses to arbit tournaments. I very occasionally get fees for being an IM in a title-norm tournament. Apart from that, I have no interests to declare.
Jack, can you say which tournaments (in the last year, say)?