ECF Elections - Statement by Malcolm Pein

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Phil Ehr

Re: ECF Elections - Statement by Malcolm Pein

Post by Phil Ehr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Angus French wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Perhaps take a idea from MPs and have a Register of outside interests.
Yes, I think the ECF should have this. If any ECF Officer receives income from a chess source this should be publicly listed so that everything is seen to be above board.

I notice that on his election thread, Phil Ehr has said the same - I've emboldened the text which is especially relevant:
Phil Ehr wrote:I’m taking a bit of a leap into Nigel Short’s providence, but don’t think he’ll mind. I support Andrew Paulson’s commitment to recuse himself from the ECF position in the FIDE presidential race. Such recusal is a mature position that should be adopted more often, although recusal for all instances of overlapping interests is not practical in our small community. Too few recusals is one reason I wrote in my election address, ‘Adhere to the highest standards of public accountability in financial matters, business awards, overlapping personal interests and conduct’. Those interests are real--whether at the level of earning pocket money from chess employment to business opportunities to ECF selections of players, coaches and arbiters--and effect member perceptions of directors and managers. The present Board registered an intention (although no action) to implement a register of interests as previously introduced by Andrew Farthing. Council members could help with that project as well as the elusive Code of Conduct. For important context, please see the final part of my Junior Director’s report.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ddress.pdf
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... Report.pdf
In the meantime, I invite all candidates who are standing for election to a Director position and who visit this forum (so far as I know: Andrew Paulson, Phil Ehr, Alex Holowczak, Lawrence Cooper, Julian Clissold, myself - Angus French, Sean Hewitt and Jack Rudd) to declare their interests. (If a candidate coaches many individuals then I don't think there's any need to list the individuals - I think it would be sufficient to say something like 'Provides coaching to individuals'.)

I'll start by declaring my own interests: I have no interests to declare (the officer posts I hold for the Croydon & District Chess League, for Surrey County Chess Association, and for Streatham & Brixton Chess Club are voluntary); I receive no income from chess (rare instances of prize money from tournaments excepted); I am entirely independent.
By putting flesh to the bones of a ‘registered interests’ concept, you are helping the Governance Committee’s work. Thank you, Angus!

My chess interests: I receive pay to teach for Chess in Schools and Communities (CSC)--two schools last year (Hollydale Primary School and The Bridge Academy, a PRU). I continue with the PRU. I recently signed a consultancy contract with CSC to coordinate financial sector employees as volunteers in CSC schools near the City of London. (The project is called ‘Yes 2 Chess’ in which the Head of Volunteering is Andrew Moore! I am delighted to be working with him.) ‘Yes 2 Chess’ will feature at the London Classic. Although I stopped coaching Heathside Preparatory School at the end of last term, legacy interest remains. I coordinate chess club activities as a parent volunteer at St Paul’s Girls’ School.

Elements of information in a register of chess interests need development, but this a fair start. A register may be used to check potential conflicts of interest before overlapping interests become conflicts of interest. More positively, a register should help Council balance interests on the Board and in elected Committees. Example listing* of all candidates in tomorrow’s election:

AGON/FIDE - AP
4NCL - DT, AH, MT (team captain SH, LC; junior team leaders LC, PE, JC)
e2e4 - SH, JR, AH, LC
EPSCA – JC
CSC/London Classic - AM, PE, SH, AH, LC
Other Congress Organisers - RE, AH, JR, LC, JC
Other School Tutoring/Coaching - PE, JC
Arbiters – RE, AH, SH, LC, JR, DT, DE, JC
Elite Players – NS, LC, JR
Elite Coach – LC
Active in a Club: Many, but sadly, not me!
No overlapping interest or Unknown to me: DO, AF, RC, IR, MG, RH, AL

* CAUTION: With less than 24 hours before the election, the actual data above will certainly be incomplete or wrong. Treat only as an example of an analytical concept!

Question 1: What interests will Council install on the Board? ...in addition to non-chess talent relevant to the job.
Question 2 derives from Justin Horton
JustinHorton wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Are you aware of the Montenegro story? It's known or rumoured that the big Junior events massively overcharge for food and accommodation. The profit that the local Federation was expecting to earn to keep it going for the next couple of years has, allegedly, found its way to an organisation controlled by its President.
Yes, but my understanding is that this sort of thing only matters if it happens abroad, especially if it involves Kirsan. Conflicts of interest at home are something we pretend not to understand.
Last edited by Phil Ehr on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Good God! Nobody in chess has a pot to **** in, and you’re banging on as if the ECF was IBM.

Phil Ehr

Post by Phil Ehr » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:44 am

Martin,

The ‘IBM’ presentation of analysis is indeed a pedantic ‘science project’ that does not warrant obsession. We are stewards of Chess. Improving the image of the chess community and the income for chess is the aim. Ethics require that I disclose my growing links with CSC, for example. If my Board colleagues see me advocating too stridently for policies that favour CSC, they should hold me to account regardless of personal friendships. The same applies to others in positions of responsibility—particularly the President, the Executive Directors and the NEDs. A register of interests is merely part of checks and balances.

I look forward to meeting you, perhaps later today. I hope to be elected to the post you once held. If so, I look forward to your critically supportive counsel.

Best wishes,
Phil