Preferred option for electoral reform?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

What is your preferred option for electoral reform?

One Member One Vote
59%
Increasing the direct member share of the electoral college
13%
Council consists only of elected representatives (one per member)
16%
The present system
6%
Other
6%

Total votes: 32

Paul McKeown

Re: Preferred option for electoral reform?

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm

David,

Thanks for that. Could you (or anyone) tell me if anyone has an estimate for the initial work and annualised running costs to implement some form of membership voting?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Paolo, I assume you are deliberately trying to boil my piss, so you have now achieved the honour of becoming the first person ever on my foe's list. Thanks and good night.
Suit yourself. If we ever meet, please remind me of this discussion and I'll be glad to offer you a beer.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: I would be in favour of approval voting, too. Perhaps via a single list for all candidates, posts to be divvied up later amongst approved candidates.
The trouble with doing that is that it reacts horribly with specialized posts like Finance Director: that post needs a particular skillset, and you might not have someone with that skillset among the ten most popular candidates.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 am

I suppose you're right, Jack. But to select NEDs from a list, for example, it would work well, I think?

However, I suggested approval lists for all posts, as approval voting between two candidates (which seems to be common in ECF elections for specific posts) doesn't make much sense, either. Unless, perhaps, combined with a threshold, when you have effectively made "neither of the above" a player, too.