English Seniors Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

English Seniors Championships

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 am

Is there going to be an English Seniors Championship in 2014?

According to Stewart Reuben in a circular to known Senior players.
There may be an English Senior Chess Championship but this has not yet been finalised, nor arranged.
Much the same material in the circular was also on the ECF website a few days earlier
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/opportun ... more-28058
although that indicates the date if not the place
Easter, 5 days
English Senior Championship [details to be confirmed]
The calendar at the e2e4 website has it as taking place over the Easter weekend at de Vere Sunningdale but gives no more details. Sunningdale is already scheduled for a 9 round Easter Open and 7 round Major and Minor for which entries and hotel bookings are now available.

Sean Hewitt

Re: English Seniors Championships

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Is there going to be an English Seniors Championship in 2014?
Roger de Coverly wrote:The calendar at the e2e4 website has it as taking place over the Easter weekend at de Vere Sunningdale.
You've answered your own question.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:You've answered your own question.
Why then is Stewart Reuben saying it's undecided?

If it's taking place at Sunningdale, there's nothing about event format, move rates, round times etc.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Why then is Stewart Reuben saying it's undecided?
Without wishing to sound too much like John Upham, that question might be better directed at Stewart Reuben.
Roger de Coverly wrote:If it's taking place at Sunningdale, there's nothing about event format, move rates, round times etc.
Nothing gets past you!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Without wishing to sound too much like John Upham, that question might be better directed at Stewart Reuben
The actual email was sent by [email protected], so I would take it that's coming as an official communication from the ECF to certain members and ex-members.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Why then is Stewart Reuben saying it's undecided?
Without wishing to sound too much like John Upham, that question might be better directed at Stewart Reuben.
Roger de Coverly wrote:If it's taking place at Sunningdale, there's nothing about event format, move rates, round times etc.
Nothing gets past you!
The post on the ECF website, which is essentially or maybe exactly the same, was evidently written by Stewart. He also comments there on establishing a seniors database for mailing.

I guess the most obvious reason for the venue information not being on Stewart's message is that it wasn't quite finalised at the time he wrote it. Although there could naturally be more sinister and exciting reasons, such as a massive internal power struggle going on within the ECF.

While its slightly depressing to be part of the newly expanded target group, I must say I was very pleased to get the mailing as evidence of more active marketing by the ECF.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

PeterFarr wrote: I guess the most obvious reason for the venue information not being on Stewart's message is that it wasn't quite finalised at the time he wrote it. Although there could naturally be more sinister and exciting reasons, such as a massive internal power struggle going on within the ECF.
The timing mystery is that whilst the material on the ECF website is dated December 28th and is certain that the event is taking place at Easter, the circular email is dated January 8th and is uncertain. The announcement of the detail of the rest of the Sunningdale Easter event also appeared after the ECF's Seniors piece.

I have doubts about the format if it is to be five rounds. I regard that as too few for a National Championship and if it's going to start on Thursday evening, it's likely to be 90 30 or faster, which is a waste for one round a day. Playing one round a day goes against the grain as Easter Congresses have always had at least one double round day.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
PeterFarr wrote: I guess the most obvious reason for the venue information not being on Stewart's message is that it wasn't quite finalised at the time he wrote it. Although there could naturally be more sinister and exciting reasons, such as a massive internal power struggle going on within the ECF.
The timing mystery is that whilst the material on the ECF website is dated December 28th and is certain that the event is taking place at Easter, the circular email is dated January 8th and is uncertain. The announcement of the detail of the rest of the Sunningdale Easter event also appeared after the ECF's Seniors piece.
How is this in any way a mystery? It's just not totally co-ordinated. So what?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm

PeterFarr wrote: How is this in any way a mystery? It's just not totally co-ordinated. So what?
What I don't know is whether the material appearing on the ECF website in December 2013 is an edited version of an email sent January 2014 or vice versa. If I go by publication date, the certainty of the December material is replaced by uncertainty in January.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 pm

So, to summarise

The ECF website says "Easter, 5 days - English Senior Championship [details to be confirmed]."

Stewart Reuben, in an email, said "There may be an English Senior Chess Championship but this has not yet been finalised, nor arranged."

And now the e2e4 website says "e2e4 English Seniors Championships - Thu Apr 17th to Mon Apr 21st - The official 2014 English Senior Championships" and gives the location as Sunningdale.

You're right; it's a mystery of the highest order.