Consultation on the upcoming ECU and FIDE elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Phil Ehr

Re: Consultation on the upcoming ECU and FIDE elections

Post by Phil Ehr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I'd much rather ask about policies, resources, visions and the future. So far, they seem to be eclipsed by personal character issues. Is this a fair set of questions for Zurab Azmaiparashvili?

1. Many believe that you are not a good ambassador for chess due to accounts of past misdeeds. Those accounts include:
- arrested for head-butting security personnel at the Chess Olympiad awards ceremony, Calvia 2004
- taking back a move in the European Championships, Istanbul 2003
- most egregious: fabricating a ’tournament' at Strumica in 1995. Evidence includes the poor quality of your opponents’ play in Rounds 11 and 12 although they were rated quite close to you.

a. What is your reaction to these three allegations?
b. Would you kindly send us a written statement about each within the next four or five weeks?
c. Aside from any merit in these allegations, is there a point when an international body deserves leadership that unites rather than divides over lingering doubts of its president’s character?
d. Would the ECU be better served with you helping a less controversial president?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Fair enough questions - for starters.

But instead, let's ask them of Andrew Paulson about Zurab Azmaiparashvili. After all, it's our (paying members) ECF President who has chosen to join this guy's ticket.

Then publish Paulson's answers

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:50 am

David Robertson wrote: But instead, let's ask them of Andrew Paulson about Zurab Azmaiparashvili. After all, it's our (paying members) ECF President who has chosen to join this guy's ticket.
As some have commented, Zurab has name awareness for all the wrong reasons amongst those who have played and followed international chess for many years.

It's obviously all these propaganda sheets we read like NIC, TWIC, BCM, Chess etc. but to be termed a "FIDE insider" is pejorative for many British players.

That said, it's difficult to think of any direct harm he's done or threatened to do against British or English chess.There was the Ethics fight with Nigel of course.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 am

Phil Ehr wrote:I'd much rather ask about policies, resources, visions and the future. So far, they seem to be eclipsed by personal character issues. Is this a fair set of questions for Zurab Azmaiparashvili?

1. Many believe that you are not a good ambassador for chess due to accounts of past misdeeds. Those accounts include:
- arrested for head-butting security personnel at the Chess Olympiad awards ceremony, Calvia 2004
- taking back a move in the European Championships, Istanbul 2003
- most egregious: fabricating a ’tournament' at Strumica in 1995. Evidence includes the poor quality of your opponents’ play in Rounds 11 and 12 although they were rated quite close to you.

a. What is your reaction to these three allegations?
b. Would you kindly send us a written statement about each within the next four or five weeks?
c. Aside from any merit in these allegations, is there a point when an international body deserves leadership that unites rather than divides over lingering doubts of its president’s character?
d. Would the ECU be better served with you helping a less controversial president?
Like David and Roger I'm not sure what the value of asking Azmai these questions directly. Besides that you wouldn't want to make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry. If I was there (and I was invited in no particular capacity except posting here I guess but could't unfortunately make it) I would ask:

1. In line with David I agree that a good question would be to ask AP what due diligence he did on ZA or how they came to meet etc. That's always useful background. Similarly you could ask ZA the same question.

2. To both what made them want to run on this duel ticket, what was the trigger event?

3. To both what are there plans as regards the ECU and what are they trying to achieve?

4. To AP, do you intend to remain ECF President and do you see any issues with giving both posts the required time?

5. To AP, do you see any conflicts of interest in the two roles? What happens if the two roles come to conflict, what would you do then, whose interests would you serve first?

6. To ZA, if you were to obtain the post of ECU President how do you see the relationship with FIDE?

7. To ZA what is your view on the rating systems and obtaining of titles?

8. To both, what do you think of FIDE's Dress Code policy?

9. To both, do you have any new potential sponsors lined up for European events? If not do you intend to target any and if so how?

10. Do either of you intend to apply for the FIDE Presidency any time soon?

I'm sure others can think of more but the questions should really look to get useful information for the future rather than rake over past incidents although clearly ZA has a colourful past and I would have been sorely disappointed if one or two great stories didn't emerge!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

I can't imagine that Kasparov will be pleased to see old move takebacks emerging as a campaign issue. Is this perhaps a deep plot being hatched by his opponents?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
To both what made them want to run on this duel ticket, what was the trigger event?
:)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:
To both what made them want to run on this duel ticket, what was the trigger event?
:)
Well picked up Alistair, I definitely meant "dual" but the typo is much better!

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Phil Ehr wrote:I'd much rather ask about policies, resources, visions and the future.
The future of chess depends upon what happens to chess in schools. Is FIDE equipped to deal with the enormous upsurge in scholastic chess?
Across the world, vast resources are being poured into chess for its educational benefits.
National chess organisations are still focussed on orthodox chess and competitive play.
The FIDE Chess in Schools Commission is focussed on a high quality standard which is designed for budding masters.
Making chess accessible to all children may mean adopting simpler chess variants for school use.
Would candidates regard this as (a) dumbing down chess or (b) the democratisation of chess or (c) a matter outside their responsibility?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:15 pm

John Foley wrote: Making chess accessible to all children may mean adopting simpler chess variants for school use.
If you aren't intending to ensure future generations of young adult players playing normal chess, what is the point of FIDE, ECU or the ECF putting resources into "Chess in Schools"?

I know it's supposed to have educational value but why wouldn't Shogi or Chinese Chess work just as well?

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Foley wrote: Making chess accessible to all children may mean adopting simpler chess variants for school use.
If you aren't intending to ensure future generations of young adult players playing normal chess, what is the point of FIDE, ECU or the ECF putting resources into "Chess in Schools"?
There has never been a time when a generation of young adults has played "normal" chess. In my opinion, to improve its accessibility and to realise its true educational benefits, we need to find ways to make chess more inviting and less threatening for all children. We should consider how to move from the ivory towers of the chess purist to wet afternoons in a primary school where few teachers can play the royal game.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:42 pm

John Foley wrote: The FIDE Chess in Schools Commission is focussed on a high quality standard which is designed for budding masters.
Really? They specifically claim the opposite. That is the role of the Trainers Commission.

What are these simplified variants of the game? I have never seen any mention of this, and nor do I see the point.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:24 pm

John Foley wrote: There has never been a time when a generation of young adults has played "normal" chess.
As far as I recall, I and the rest of our generation played this fifty years ago. Mind you that was the peculiar variant common to British chess at the time of rarely extending a game beyond forty moves.

On reflection , there are already dumbed down versions in existence You've got the EPSCA rules that the 50 move rule is 25 moves and the strange interpretation of 10.2, as was, that to win on time you have to show that you know how to win. You've got the UK Chess Challenge rule that three "points" is a win for the side with the material.
John Foley wrote:and to realise its true educational benefits,

I am something of a sceptic when it comes to educational benefits of chess. Sporting and cultural benefits perhaps. Why not devise a two player game from scratch with this goal in mind? If draws are a problem, design the game-play to exclude them.

FIDE is mostly concerned with international chess. Youngsters learning the game at eight years old and abandoning it at ten don't have much impact unless you let them into the international rating system.

But what is the vision for the future? Is it one where the only adult players are those at elite level along with numerous trainers. The masses are children of whom perhaps just one in a thousand is still playing at the age of eighteen. It would be much easier for administrators if there was no-one around able or willing to dispute their policies and priorities.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I am something of a sceptic when it comes to educational benefits of chess.
I'm not. For me, Maurice Ashley's well documented achievements in Harlem, while not unique, are sufficient to establish the value of chess in education. Two of his most notable students came to Bermuda and told a completely convincing story.

Chess in Schools could be a force for good. Where I part company with them is in their apparent desire to give a FIDE rating to anyone who puts €10 into their till - not only would this corrupt the whole rating system, but it suggests that there is an unhealthy financial motivation.

I expect there are people on this forum who remember Kevin O'Connell from way back. He is a major figure in CIS, and if you want to know more about their aims you should ask him. He will know a great deal more than Azmai, Danailov or Paulson.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I'm not. For me, Maurice Ashley's well documented achievements in Harlem, while not unique, are sufficient to establish the value of chess in education. Two of his most notable students came to Bermuda and told a completely convincing story.
If they were sufficiently motivated to travel to Bermuda, they either were serious players or had ambitions that way. That isn't a problem. I'm not so sure that the various initiatives are in any way geared to produce serious players and it isn't always the intent of their designers that they should do so.

The offer of "pay money for an initial rating" has been around for some while. Are there any statistics as to how many have signed up? Given that FIDE is a federation of national chess organisations, it's odd in the first place that it can offer what purports to be individual junior membership.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:

The offer of "pay money for an initial rating" has been around for some while. Are there any statistics as to how many have signed up? Given that FIDE is a federation of national chess organisations, it's odd in the first place that it can offer what purports to be individual junior membership.
Incorrect on all counts. The number signed up is zero, because no such program has been introduced. If it ever is formally proposed, I hope we can rely on the ECF delegate to make clear his federation's opposition.