Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF President?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF president?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:57 pm

yes
71%
no
24%
abstain
5%

Total votes: 78

Colm Daly

Re: Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF President?

Post by Colm Daly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I've hear of this, of course. The impossibly long screeds...
Whatever you say Paul.

I will leave you with the last word.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John McKenna wrote: Before I go just like to say that Murray was probably incorporated with less fuss than Alexander.
Still someone is 'bumped' when such things happen and may not be very happy about it.
If we check the teams in olimpbase, then in 1980, the ENG team was <snip>
That was the 1980s. What about the 1990s and 2000s. Were the team selections straightforward then? There were some GMs potentially on the fringes (both older and younger ones) that never seemed to get a chance to play. I think most of them didn't want to play, but a couple maybe did. Arguably still the case now. How should selection take place in those circumstances?

(Time for a new thread?)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: That was the 1980s. What about the 1990s and 2000s. Were the team selections straightforward then?

Provided they were available and affordable with the sponsorship, you just selected the world class players. If you didn't have six at any one time, you brought in GMs like Hebden, Watson or Emms.

World class players I would be thinking of were Short and Adams, of course, plus Jon Speelman. Nunn and Chandler as well, although Chandler retired to own and edit the BCM fairly early on in the decade. Then there were Julian Hodgson and Tony Miles after he returned from Australia. Later in the decade, Matthew Sadler as well. After around 2000, 1995 even, the emergence of World class players dropped to a trickle. There was Luke, but only really David and Gawain in the last ten years. Peter Wells, Stuart Conquest, Nick Pert and Danny Gormally all played at least one Olympiad.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:06 pm

It may well be time for a change of threads (that reminds me - must do some washing), as Chris suggests, since what follows has nothing directly to do with Andrew Paulson's ECF presidency.

I found Colm's 'impossibly long screed', above, far from impossible and thank him for posting it here as it saved me from having to search out the events he described or remain ignorant of them. I suspect Paul finds such posts impossible to answer in anything other than a sound bite. Roger's reply to Colm is more substantial but he mainly accuses Colm of being guilty of something similar to what he himself engages in - a one man crusade against the powers that be. Unfortunately, one man's crusade is another man's unholy war. Would we see a titanic clash of cultures if Colm chose to post on Roger's holy request for indulgences and remission of membership sins to be abolished and a new freedom-from-membership religion established a per his 9,500+ theses posted at this portal?

By the way, ironically, I have been engaged in trying to shore up my club's 1st team with a couple of titled players in order to avoid relegation and going to matches where there is a big imbalance of grades (60+ points against us on all 8 boards in the last away one but we still scored half a point!) I have just discovered that my efforts were misguided because those who run the club and the team take the attitude that Colm ascribes to himself in international team chess when it comes to club chess - i.e. homeboys only. (I call them that because in addition to being homegrown they are also often reluctant to go away unless it suits them.) In other words they believe the team should be amateurishly defeated and relegated rather than import any pros!?

Well, I can't argue with that so I won't, but it diminishes my interesting in proceedings as I am getting tired of being a utility player who is pushed to extremes so, like others, I will become selective about which matches I chance my arm in. Although, that way lies stagnation, decline and an eventual fall for the club itself when the spirit dies.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Time to close this one I agree.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard