Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF President?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF president?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:57 pm

yes
71%
no
24%
abstain
5%

Total votes: 78

Roger de Coverly

Re: Should Andrew Paulson resign as ECF President?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Angus French wrote: I wasn't a supporter of Andrew Paulson (unlike John U I believe) but it seems to me he's had harsh treatment, originating not from this Forum but from a group of Board members.
He had harsh treatment from the forum as well. If you offer yourself as President of an Organisation offering to transform it with ambitious and improbable promises, what do you expect? It's not as if he had delivered on his ambitions in a parallel context. The promises were enough to get a majority at the October meeting. Those who wanted to vote for him perhaps could explain why and whether they now regret that decision in the light of events.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Andrew's dream required a great gathering of momentum for an incredible leap of faith -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWX2YTolwQ

Trouble is there was only room for one on the original vehicle unless a mini-motorcycle display team was formed. He continues the quest in Europe - and/or/maybe Africa - as the link above shows.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Those who wanted to vote for him perhaps could explain why and whether they now regret that decision in the light of events.
This isn't the worst proposal I ever saw.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Colm Daly

Post by Colm Daly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 am

PeterFarr wrote:Something of a coup for the Irish Chess Union:

"The ICU Executive is honoured to be able to announce that Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland, has generously agreed to be the Patron of the ICU. This is a new position which we have created specifically to accord with President Higgins' wish to be associated with the ICU, as the body responsible for running chess in Ireland. We are most flattered that President Higgins has agreed to occupy this honorary position."

Who could the ECF find of similar stature? George Osborne plays chess but.....
Funny Peter that you should mention the word coup in relation to the ICU and this latest development. Sadly this is arguably far more like a con job, as one wonders how well informed the President's people were to allow himself and the Presidency be associated with an organization that is under such a cloud. Though a coup within the ICU would not be anything new. The shenanigans that go on within Irish chess are so legendary and simply too unbelievable for many to grasp or have an interest in. But this is not the time or place to go into such matters.

Suffice to say that any organization that cannot present accounts to it's members at it's AGM has a lot to answer for. Then, when after a majority vote is taken and passed at same said AGM, to have an EGM to present the accounts within a matter of a couple of months, you see this not only ignored but complemented by a series of other bizarre, undemocratic suspicious activities, well you sort of start to think that far from this being the welcome and positive development is should be, it is sadly and arguably, more akin to a cringe inducing hoodwinking exercise.

Concluding that Irish chess may have been far better served if such a development was to have happened later, rather than at this time. Then again, a counter argument might be that such a “coup” is so positive that it could only ever be a good thing and it should just be celebrated, end of story. I don't share that view but have to acknowledge it.

Curiously the very reason why I ended up on the ECF forum was because of the whole Andrew Paulson saga and what I imagined it represented for English chess and how it might compare with the way things are done and have been done within Irish chess.

While accepting that the nature and scale of the difference between English chess and Irish chess is so vast as to render comparisons almost meaningless, or at least not very helpful in understanding any particular issue. I did however recall thinking to myself around the time that I heard Andrew Paulson had become the President of the ECF that well, there goes English chess! It must be in even worse of a state as I imagined, as it seemed to me, from a distance, that if someone was able to gain entrée and then such a senior position within English chess, seemingly out of nowhere, then perhaps this represented English chess grasping at straws and hoping for some sort of savior to put English chess back on a path to securing financial possibilities and or sponsors?

I must plead a degree of innocence on such matters however as I am only going by some experience and superficial knowledge, plus of course my own gut feeling. But in any event when I learned that the ECF then had issues with Andrew Paulson I figured they had self corrected, regained self respect and sort of decided to wake up and take back control over the direction English chess might take in the immediate future.

In saying that I should stress that it would be wrong of me to paint Andrew Paulson as some sort of a villain as I only did so in a comical way and although I take the view that he was being opportunistic, he was only doing what he does normally, as in, he gets involved in this or that, as per his career thus far, and so he cannot, and should not, really be blamed for “having a go”. Especially when it may have seemed initially that he was pushing an open door. Only to then find that English chess was that bit more sophisticated and complex than it might otherwise have first appeared. I sort of “blame” some sections of English chess for being so craven? But at least English chess self corrected (to a point anyway?)

It was this that made me contrast and only half jokingly make that offer about him being welcome here in Ireland. The difference being that in Ireland there would have been little chance of the sort of reversal occurring as was/is the case with the ECF.

However, as I say, Irish chess is so different in terms of sheer scale with English chess that it would even be quite unfair to Irish chess to expect that Irish chess would be anything like as complex and robust as English chess, in terms of governance. For one thing, it is totally an amateur set up and organization that governs Irish chess. All unpaid volunteers who, though often incompetent, or much worse, still put in lots of time and effort. Doing much good work in the process.

In such a scenario it is far easier to see how all manner of unbelievable things can occur within Irish chess. Or as has been alluded to by many people in a comical manner, about what could or may not happen here in Ireland. http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/au ... enhere.mp3

I even served on the executive from 2010 to 2013, of which a lot of time and energy was spent averting disasters (or trying to in vain) and crazy decisions by the Chairman (without reference or regard for the committee) who left the organization in a truly awful state. So it brings me no pleasure to form such a negative view and outlook for Irish chess. Not all bad here by a long shot, but we have no fewer problems than English chess.

The funniest thing recently is the announcement about Kasparov visiting Dublin which I have heard was actually premature as he had not actually agreed to this yet! What is comical about this is that while it would be of course great to see Kasparov visit Ireland, It has become so obvious that the reason for such a visit is connected to his Fide President campaign, that some are actually now taken a negative view of him! In other words, if Kasparov does nothing and just ignores Irish chess (for now) he is basically guaranteed the Irish vote at the Fide congress in Norway!

If on the other hand, an attempt is made to somehow group the votes of the UK nations/federations with the ICU vote then a backlash becomes possible. And if he involves himself with the ongoing battle royal waging within and between factions within the ICU executive, one that sees two sides fighting over him visiting Ireland and what it involves, then he risks the ICU adopting an abstaining policy.

This is in part because the current Fide delegate is such an avid pro Kasparov supporter, but also a very divisive figure with Irish chess and already there is a request/demand signed by the required number of people for an EGM with a motion to replace him as the ICU Fide delegate, just for the duration of the Fide congress in Norway. The fact that minimum effort was needed to get the 30 people needed to sign such a petition, in jig time, gives some idea of how easy it would be to get possibly hundreds to sign it!

Basically there are a few clowns here who want to jump on the Kasparov bandwagon and see themselves associated with Kasparov, and indeed Nigel Short too actually. So much so, that they will do almost anything to further the goal of such child like self aggrandizement. The tragedy of which is that this is so naked, to some people here in Ireland, that a sort backlash against Kasparovs campaign becomes a real risk.

The problem with having a Fide delegate of a federation so clearly in favor of one candidate over the other from a very personal motivation/self interest standpoint, and frankly too involved, is that the people on the executive committee of the federation can be made to feel somehow irrelevant and or disrespected.

In the case of England this is, I assume, not really going to be the case. Mainly because of the stature of Nigel Short as a historical figure within international chess and domestic English chess. Plus the simple fact that he knows what he is talking about on Fide issues and has extensive experience and knowledge in this area. As such, it would seem hard to imagine that his motivation and interest in defeating Kirsan is for any other reasons than to just improve and further the best interests of English and world chess.

By contrast our current Fide delegate is comparatively pretty clueless, possibly even, a liability to the Kasparov campaign, but certainly not so focused and or concerned with the best interests of Irish chess or world chess, so much as wanting to be part of a bandwagon that allows ample opportunity for self aggrandizement. Very human really, but not in the best interests of Irish chess or the Kasparov campaign either. But let us see if Kasparov does visit Dublin after all.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 am

In light of the comments made by "the perpetual mud-slinging, money grabbing, viperous buffoon who leaves a cancer trail in his wake" regarding their blog, Ballynafeckinstupid replies.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am

Paul McKeown wrote:In light of the comments made by "the perpetual mud-slinging, money grabbing, viperous buffoon who leaves a cancer trail in his wake" regarding their blog, Ballynafeckinstupid replies.
Happy St. Patrick's Day Folks. Forget about the mud slinging for today. You can certainly play a good game of Rugby over there !

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Yes Gordon, must grab a Guinness, or two, tonite.

The Bally... blog begins -

Hello ECForum readers

If you’re tuning in from the ECF forum guys we at Ballynafeigh would just like to say hello to you all...

It is quite a way down in the interesting content - the Danish pastry section is excellent - and goes downhill rapidly in its attack on poor isolated Irish Chess Champ, Colm Daly. Does he have any supporters?

Colm Daly

Post by Colm Daly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:In light of the comments made by "the perpetual mud-slinging, money grabbing, viperous buffoon who leaves a cancer trail in his wake" regarding their blog, Ballynafeckinstupid replies.
Happy St. Patrick's Day Folks. Forget about the mud slinging for today. You can certainly play a good game of Rugby over there !
Well good as we are with the Rugby, England did beat us, though deservedly so (just about). Overall it was indeed great to win the Six Nations cup, which was just about deserved.

Now as for "mudslinging" well, that is a one way thing here. Now that somebody has mentioned this unreal post from "that site" I might as well respond myself, but first why not give the full post from "we at ballyna..." in reality a guy called Damien Cunningham, whom I have never met, never spoke to, and up until recently, when I was directed to "that site" had never heard of. Considering how involved I have been in Irish chess for over 30 years, one can draw their own conclusions from that.

The only thing true or accurate in that shameful nonsense is that he got my name correct, whereas previously he could not even get that right, and he said I was mischievous, which depending on context is true. As for the rest? Well, ill informed could not even begin to describe how twisted and false this whole nasty piece is.

But let us see what further invective and lies are on offer. I also suggest a read of the report on the Bunratty event from this same website, which though tortuous to get through, does reveal the nasty and ignorant nature of the author.

The target person so disrespected and insulted throughout that particular piece is none other than mild mannered ICU women's development officer Gearóidín Uí Laighléis who is about as polite and inoffensive a person as you can get. http://www.icu.ie/icu/officers.php

But that would hardly matter to the likes of this disturbed and possibly deranged person.

http://irishchesscogitations.com/defama ... amtion.jpg

Suffice to say this is an open and shut case of defamation, but as Belfast is part of the UK and thus a different jurisdiction it might not be worth the hassle to go after this guy. Also thinking that the guy may need some medical attention or have some mental issues.

Happy Patrick's Day indeed.
Last edited by Colm Daly on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colm Daly

Post by Colm Daly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:49 pm

John McKenna wrote:Yes Gordon, must grab a Guinness, or two, tonite.

The Bally... blog begins -

Hello ECForum readers

If you’re tuning in from the ECF forum guys we at Ballynafeigh would just like to say hello to you all...

It is quite a way down in the interesting content - the Danish pastry section is excellent - and goes downhill rapidly in its attack on poor isolated Irish Chess Champ, Colm Daly. Does he have any supporters?
Yes John

Poor me indeed. No doubt as a six time winner of the title of Irish champion and somebody who has actually done a thing or two in chess I am indeed to be pitied. Perhaps when I go to my 8th Olympiad later this year I should spare a thought for the great Damien Cunningham and send him a post card from Tromsø. After declining my own place on the Irish team for the last Olympiad in 2012, in order to be the Men's team Captain, it will be nice to be back on the team playing again. Perhaps this latest "money grabbing" exercise will make me rich?

Oh but no, unlike for example the English team, it generally costs Irish players money to represent their country [something which I have no issue with considering the tiny size and scale of Irish chess and the totally amateur nature of chess in Ireland]

Actually it is a bit disturbing to be the object of such lies and nasty manic posting. There is also a post on "that site" in which a "report" by "we at ballyna" on the, by now infamous, and farcical ICU AGM from last year, goes on to mislead, misinform and generally attack various people perceived to be not of the same view as this nutter.

It is as if he was at a different meeting, and, as sometimes is the case with such keyboard warriors, while he apparently did attend the AGM, his contribution, other than voting I guess, was zero, not a word from this brave crusader. I have no doubt played more chess tournaments in Belfast, and for far longer than this guy ever has.

No doubt with 30 years plus of activity and involvement in Irish chess I have seen all manner of crazy,deluded cranks, but this guy is in a zone all of his own.

I simply do not know who he is, and other than "that site" very few people within Irish chess have a clue who he is. While I hate to use the term and description that I am about to, I regret to say this guy is a total nobody. His piece says a lot more about him than it ever could about me.

http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/bl ... ckinstupid
BallynafeckinSTUPID is too kind of a description.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Colm,

Thanks for explaining your own situation and the one in general in Irish chess.
There we were thinking we were the only nation of chess barbarians in these islands.
It is ever the same - we have enemies that we never knew we had and we still have them and more coming.

Personally, I like to think that Andrew came as friendly peddler selling the elixir of chess life.
Who wouldn't want to try a sip, or two, at least just to find out if they felt better than before.
There is no panacea, I am afraid, and we must struggle on, through thick and thin, and drain the cup but leave the dregs, if possible.

Since no man of aught he leaves knows, what is't to leave betimes?
Let be.

That's a bit of the bard - I know he appreciates it.

Should he ever pitch up, tired and hungry, on the mat at the door of the ICU I hope you give him the famous welcome and let him stay a little longer than he did in the ECF.

[I've suddenly just remember reading The Adventures of Huck Finn as a boy an laughing loudly.
Strikes me that there are more than a few parallels with what has transpired here and I may read it again before long to remind myself of the foibles of human nature.]

Slainte!

John

Colm Daly

Post by Colm Daly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

I could hardly agree more John. I guess the fascination with this whole Andrew Paulson thing was tangentially related to the way some things just get done in chess theses days.

The phrase I keep coming back to is the one about "The road to hell being paved with good intentions" though even then we find that sometimes even that is not quite true and bad intentions surface too.
On balance I have the impression that much has been learned from this whole saga with Andrew Paulson and English chess may well be the stronger for it?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Of course, one doesn't need to ask many Irish chess players, from any of the four provinces, before one comes across one with a strongly negative opinion of Mr. Daly. There is a back story stretching waaaaay back.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Paul, we all have our skeletons in the proverbial...

###########################################################

Dubious comment deleted - it tasted bad.

Colm Daly

Post by Colm Daly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: Of course, one doesn't need to ask many Irish chess players, from any of the four provinces, before one comes across one with a strongly negative opinion of Mr. Daly. There is a back story stretching waaaaay back.
Really Paul? How would you know that? Have you done this? Perhaps you would like to make this thread about me and tell us all about this back story stretching waaaaay back. Hard to refute innuendo and inference you see. Depends on who you ask, and I would venture to say that the vast majority of Irish chess players most certainly would not have negative, or strongly negative opinions of me.

As it happens I do have many "haters" and enemies within Irish chess. Why should that be so surprising. With 30 years plus of being an active and consistent player in the top ten for most of that time it would be pretty hard not to upset some people for sure. I have indeed been [and continue to be] a very vocal thorn in the side of various people who treat chess as if it were their their own preserve and disregard rules, constitutions and fair play all the time. And yes the price one can pay for this is that people spread lies and misrepresent you willy nilly.

Being a big fish in such a small pond, and one who will not go along with the venal antics of various people over the years, has often meant that there are people who are ill disposed towards me. For the very good reason that they have been exposed and called out on their hypocrisy and or venality at some point or other.

But let's be fair Paul, how about yourself? Who is Paul McKeown? How do you think you will measure up if we start asking around about you? Do you think that is an appropriate or fair avenue to pursue on this thread? I have no idea who you are and heretofore take your comments as I find them. Is it beyond your own capacity to do the same, or must you be burdened down with some unseen prejudice based on gossip?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Raw nerve, what, Mr. Daly?