NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

Re: NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 pm

I don't understand why this appointment should cause a dispute.

Angus French is as good a candidate as any.

The fact that he stood in the election and didn't get elected should not be held against him. There is a certain logic that he replaces the man that won but subsequently stood down.

The Board are elected to run the organisation and it is in their gift to fill vacant posts. What is the problem?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm

J T Melsom wrote:My point is that in order to do something unusual such as co-option in mid year, you need reasonable grounds to do so. You seem to want people to be co-opted unless there are strong reasons to the contrary.
It's not particularly unusual to co-opt. Back in 2008, it was necessary in order to have any Board at all. In a later year, an NED was appointed when the original Candidate was defeated by "None of the Above". Last year there were appointments of International and Marketing Directors, the latter arising because the AGM rejected the proposed candidate. Recent practice has been unusual with no convincing attempt made to appoint a CEO for 2012-13 and no apparent rush to appoint or select a new President. Also the Commercial Director post remains unfilled.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I don't think so. One poster has attributed rather more meaning to the form of address used in a post than was intended. His post then compounded the offence as it were by failing to spell a name correctly himself. If there is a definitive answer from an etiquette perspective I'm sure somebody will be along in due course to help us out.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's not particularly unusual to co-opt.
Thats correct, but as theremainder of your post suggests its a far from automatic step. All I'm really asking for is that if co-option is deemed appropriate there is a greater degree of transparency about the decision reached.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

The ECF often struggles to fill posts, so those willing to serve in some capacity should be applauded. Angus French (whom I have never met) should therefore be congratulated.

What passes for democracy in the world of the ECF will have its say soon enough in five months' time. However, judging the performance of NEDs in October without knowledge of how they (or other Board members) vote on particular issues will be a difficult task. If people are genuinely concerned about an unelected NED being reluctant to criticise those who appointed him, they should also wish to see parliamentary-style recording of how Board members vote.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 pm

J T Melsom wrote:All I'm really asking for is that if co-option is deemed appropriate there is a greater degree of transparency about the decision reached.
An official record of the April meeting has yet to be published. Unofficial reports indicate that there was a proposal of sorts to reinstate Roger Edwards as President, or in any event appoint a new President. This was defeated. In parallel to this, the appointment of a replacement non-Exec was rather more likely and not objected to by the meeting.

The SCCU report notes
(1) ECF President. (We're in Matters Arising, presumably from the AGM elections.) Someone proposed that the Board be asked to appoint a new President within a month to replace the departed Andrew Paulson; and that Roger Edwards, his runner-up in October, be considered. Some thought a pause might be a better idea. The proposal failed by 11 votes to 20. But the Board will look to make good the shortfall in Non-Executive Directors as soon as may be.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue May 20, 2014 11:16 pm

John Swain wrote:If people are genuinely concerned about an unelected NED being reluctant to criticise those who appointed him ,,,
In the abstract that is a perfectly valid concern.

Anyone who is concerned about it in the specific case doesn't know Angus French.

Angus, good luck in the position.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed May 21, 2014 12:35 am

I'm not to sure why there is any concern of motives of officers & volunteers, & those that support ECF & chess organisation.

I really appreciate all that you contribute, ANGUS, JACK, DAVID & others as well as what you will continue in the future.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Well done Angus

I am sure you will compliment the board. Needs more balance from my remote observations.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed May 21, 2014 2:38 pm

For what it's worth, I prefer being referred to as "Jack" rather than "Mr Rudd", even in relatively formal situations.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Sweet Jesus!
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:Well done Angus

I am sure you will compliment the board. Needs more balance from my remote observations.
I certainly don't want a NED in place that compliments the board. On the other hand one that complements the board is perfectly acceptable! :)