NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Gilbert

NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Post by David Gilbert » Tue May 20, 2014 11:28 am

Well if no one else is going to do it, congratulations to Angus French on his appointment to the ECF Board. Well done!

J T Melsom

Re: NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Welcome to Angus French yes , but why congratulations? If I recall correctly Mr French made a last minute decision to stand as a NED, and was then defeated in an election. The election wasn't asked to consider 'alternate' options for the NED posts. It is good to see that people still wish to serve six months later but where is the mandate? I'm not convinced that Mr French could even guarantee the support of his original nominees. Don't NEDs have a scrutiny role on the board? This must be harder if you are co-opted by the people you are meant to scrutinise.

I have subsequently found another thread which suggests that invitations for the vacant NED post were invited via the ECF website. I am not aware of how many other candidates came forward , nor the process by which Mr French was appointed in preference to other candidates. Anybody able to provide clarification?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue May 20, 2014 1:36 pm

"congratulations, an expression of joy in the success or good fortune of another."

Seems to cover it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm

I was one of the other candidates who came forward, because I wanted the post to be filled rather than specifically wanting to be the one who filled it. I think Angus will do an excellent job in the role.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Jack - thank you. Can you explain why this post needs to be filled now rather than wait six months until Council can make the appoinment.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue May 20, 2014 2:48 pm

J T Melsom wrote:Jack - thank you. Can you explain why this post needs to be filled now rather than wait six months until Council can make the appoinment.
Needs might be a little strong, but the Board tends to function better if it has people in post rather than vacant spaces where they should be - which is why it has the power to appoint people to vacant Board posts if they arise. (I accept that this is not an ideal situation when it comes to Non-Executive Directors, because of the issue you highlighted at 13:15.)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm

David Gilbert wrote:Well if no one else is going to do it, congratulations to Angus French on his appointment to the ECF Board. Well done!

I think good luck is the right phrase :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue May 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Mr J T Melsom wrote:Jack
[I think he means Mr Rudd - let's have some respect]
- thank you. Can you explain why this post needs to be filled now rather than wait six months until Council can make the appoinment.
Isn't that going to happen anyway, Mr Melson?

Mr Melson, It is surely not a choice between Council and Executive?
Mr Melson, It is a choice between NED for 6 months or no NED, isn't it Mr Melson?

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mr J T Melsom wrote:Jack
[I think he means Mr Rudd - let's have some respect]
- thank you. Can you explain why this post needs to be filled now rather than wait six months until Council can make the appoinment.
Isn't that going to happen anyway, Mr Melson?

Mr Melson, It is surely not a choice between Council and Executive?
Mr Melson, It is a choice between NED for 6 months or no NED, isn't it Mr Melson?

Might show a little respect if you got the gentleman's name correct, i.e. Mr Melsom.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Mr Farthing, please show me some respect by spelling my name correctly. I don't think Jack regarded the familiar form of address as disrespectful, but if he did I would apologise to him.

Nobody has offered any compelling evidence that a co-option is necessary at the present time, nor an explanation of why the person co-opted is somebody who was rejected in an election by Council, or even the process the Board undertook to select this candidate over others, the identity of whom has not yet been disclosed. In these circumstances I don't think we can regard Mr French as having a mandate or representing anybody but himself. I am not yet persuaded that the co-option is either necessary or appropriate.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm

J T Melsom wrote:Mr Farthing, please show me some respect by spelling my name correctly. I don't think Jack regarded the familiar form of address as disrespectful, but if he did I would apologise to him.

Nobody has offered any compelling evidence that a co-option is necessary at the present time, nor an explanation of why the person co-opted is somebody who was rejected in an election by Council, or even the process the Board undertook to select this candidate over others, the identity of whom has not yet been disclosed. In these circumstances I don't think we can regard Mr French as having a mandate or representing anybody but himself. I am not yet persuaded that the co-option is either necessary or appropriate.

I have already apologised about your name, and repeat the apology.
However, you clearly miss my point in that you artificially call Angus Mr French as a clear way of indicating your attitude to him.
It was cheap and conducive to making the effective running of the Executive and its relationship with the membership harder.
You may not be persuaded that the co-option is either necessary or appropriate, but that is hardly evidence and the Executive is following a procedure laid down in the constitution.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 20, 2014 8:43 pm

J T Melsom wrote: In these circumstances I don't think we can regard Mr French as having a mandate or representing anybody but himself.
That might be a good thing, the word "independent" coming to mind. After the brief period of excitement two and a half months ago with the President standing down, the ECF Board have reverted to silence. A neutral NED who wanted to find out what the ECF Board were up to with a view that it should be publicised would in my view be a good thing. From past experience silence can be bad, they might be taking legal action against all and sundry for all that anyone knows.

Apart from hints by arbiters that they won't take any notice, I still want to know whether a lesser penalty is no penalty. In other words what fate can anyone expect who has a mobile phone or other electronic device in their possession in the playing area from 1st July?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I clearly did miss your point, as indeed I missed your original apology to me. (You might also edit your original post)

I chose to refer to Mr French rather than Angus French precisely because I believed the latter to be unduly familiar for somebody I don't know. I may have been mistaken. You actually quoted my reference to Jack Rudd as Jack as being disrespectful, which confused things.

On the substantive point : just because a procedure is permitted in the constitution doesn't mean it is the right procedure to follow. My point is that in order to do something unusual such as co-option in mid year, you need reasonable grounds to do so. You seem to want people to be co-opted unless there are strong reasons to the contrary.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Does Carl need to be here?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue May 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
I have already apologised about your name, and repeat the apology.
Hmm. Looking at the thread I see that my first apology (in response to Andy McCulloch) failed to appear - probably too many nested quotations. So I'm sorry I got that wrong and I'm sorry about the spelling. I also don't want to have a quarrel, but I do think Angus should be wished well and that we should all hope he can do a good job in a less than ideal climate.