Warwick 2015 (British Championships)

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Warwick 2015

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Andrew Camp wrote: I can think of far better places to spend two weeks and our holiday budget.
It's a tricky one. For me, with the M40, commuting or part commuting is an option. Actually staying there would invoke a reconsideration of a 1970 decision. In those days there was a circuit of events. So you could go to Southport "tick", followed by Whitby "tick", followed by Coventry. I decided to forget it for Coventry although there were a few hardened players who did all three. So I evaded the food unlike Ken Norman. For 2015, being in England, bus passes will be valid.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 am

It will be a decent venue for commuters and being in the midlands, there could well be many of those. However, for those of us that treat the two weeks as a holiday too, it's a non-starter. Many said the same about Sheffield though and that was a success so I am sure this will be too. But Coventry is not Sheffield. I sense two weeks abroad coming up. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

Ken Norman wrote:I played in 1970 when the British championships were last held at the University of Warwick.

The food on campus was disgusting to call it pig swill would praise it too highly.
I was there in 1970 too, playing in the Major Open won by the late Nick J. Kalton. I think Sir Stuart Milner-Barry was also in the Major.

In one of the junior events someone on 0/3 was somewhat disgruntled to be paired in Rd 4 with Robert Bellin who had made an unexpectedly bad start. Forgive me if my memory is not perfect on this one.

I have every confidence that the catering will be better than it may have been 45 years ago.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm sure someone will complain it's too remote.

As for the food, best take sandwiches just in case! :wink:

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Ken Norman wrote:I played in 1970 when the British championships were last held at the University of Warwick.

The food on campus was disgusting to call it pig swill would praise it too highly.
I was there in 1970 too, playing in the Major Open won by the late Nick J. Kalton. I think Sir Stuart Milner-Barry was also in the Major.

In one of the junior events someone on 0/3 was somewhat disgruntled to be paired in Rd 4 with Robert Bellin who had made an unexpectedly bad start. Forgive me if my memory is not perfect on this one.

I have every confidence that the catering will be better than it may have been 45 years ago.

Well remembered Paul.

The leading results in the 1970 Major Open were:

1st N.Kalton 8.5/11

2nd-4th R.F.Harman, G.N.Henderson, P.S.Milner-Barry 7.5/11

5th- 6th R.S.McFarland, D.J.Masters 7/11

7th – 11th L.P.Burnett, P.B.Cook, R.J.Gamble, P.F.Habershon, O.H.Hardy 6/11

A total of 40 played.

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:44 am

Reg Clucas wrote:I'm sure someone will complain it's too remote.
It really isn't that bad. The bus doesn't take that long to get there from Coventry station.

I'm going to try and make it to the event next year. It's convenient and is the place where I got my first taste of competitive chess :).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm

There's a long list of qualifiers at
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 14-15.xlsx

How many entries this will secure for Warwick remains to be seen. It's particularly generous to under 21s as a grade of no more than 180 is needed.

It passed the test of how to avoid including the 1972 British Champion on the list. One method used in the past has been to only list players with active ratings. The trick this time has been to allow FMs automatic qualification with a 2200 rating, but require that non-FMs have a rating of 2350 or above.

Still it's useful to have such a comprehensive list. If playing in a qualifying event, it can affect the approach to the last round's play if there's a qualification place at stake.

Doesn't the winner of the British Seniors qualify for a British Championship place the following year?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:There's a long list of qualifiers at
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 14-15.xlsx

How many entries this will secure for Warwick remains to be seen. It's particularly generous to under 21s as a grade of no more than 180 is needed.
Just to point out that Roger means a grade of no less than 180!
Roger de Coverly wrote: It passed the test of how to avoid including the 1972 British Champion on the list. One method used in the past has been to only list players with active ratings. The trick this time has been to allow FMs automatic qualification with a 2200 rating, but require that non-FMs have a rating of 2350 or above.
It was a curious comment about the 1972 Champion. After a little investigation, one can see why. Surely just banning him, or even excluding his name from the qualification list is necessary enough? Instead of having to somehow bend the qualification rules based on one individual?
Roger de Coverly wrote: Doesn't the winner of the British Seniors qualify for a British Championship place the following year?
I thought so, and a curious inclusion to the qualifiers is the list based on those in this year's competition. Is Tim Kett really the only one?

The list is obviously either incomplete, not updated or both since it still lists Peter Roberson and James Adair as FMs over 2200 and not under the IM category.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: It was a curious comment about the 1972 Champion. After a little investigation, one can see why. Surely just banning him, or even excluding his name from the qualification list is necessary enough? Instead of having to somehow bend the qualification rules based on one individual?
The trouble is having Brian Eley’s name on the list would be embarrassing. And yet you can’t really say, "We’re not letting him in because he’s a notorious kiddie fiddler" because he legged it before the truth of that statement or otherwise could be definitively proved in a court of law. I suppose you could just quietly not list him.

Pretty academic either way, since he’s hardly likely to turn up to complain.

As for under 21s of 180 grade and above being given automatic entry ... well it’s the logical progression of what’s been happening over the last few years, but I’m not sure it’s that great an idea. I really wish the ECF would stop dicking around and just get to the point where anybody who wants to can play. They’re virtually there as it is, after all.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: It passed the test of how to avoid including the 1972 British Champion on the list. One method used in the past has been to only list players with active ratings. The trick this time has been to allow FMs automatic qualification with a 2200 rating, but require that non-FMs have a rating of 2350 or above.
Lewis Martin wrote: It was a curious comment about the 1972 Champion. After a little investigation, one can see why. Surely just banning him, or even excluding his name from the qualification list is necessary enough? Instead of having to somehow bend the qualification rules based on one individual?
Jonathan Bryant wrote:The trouble is having Brian Eley’s name on the list would be embarrassing. And yet you can’t really say, "We’re not letting him in because he’s a notorious kiddie fiddler" because he legged it before the truth of that statement or otherwise could be definitively proved in a court of law. I suppose you could just quietly not list him.
I must have a different spreadsheet from the one you three have - whose name is in cell A8 in yours?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: I must have a different spreadsheet from the one you three have - whose name is in cell A8 in yours?
Oh he’s on. Well I was responding more to Martin’s 'why not ban him' query than anything else.

However, I stick with having him on the list is embarrassing and it being rather academic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: However, I stick with having him on the list is embarrassing and it being rather academic.
So a fail then. Thirty years ago, they forced Haygarth into the Major Open.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 pm

My view with respect to Eley is that he has qualified, and is therefore properly listed on the list of qualifiers. Whether his entry, should he make one, would be accepted is another matter: the ECF could perfectly reasonably take the view that someone wanted by the police on very serious charges should not be allowed into the tournament. (I don't know off the top of my head whether the entry form has one of those "we reserve the right to refuse entry" statements.)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: I thought so, and a curious inclusion to the qualifiers is the list based on those in this year's competition. Is Tim Kett really the only one?
That's always been a difficult way to qualify. One is about par for the course.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:52 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: That's always been a difficult way to qualify. One is about par for the course.
Except for qualifiers for 2013 from 2012, where there was a long list. Some of that list overlaps with the > 180 new qualification for U 21.