Warwick 2015 (British Championships)

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks

Re: Warwick 2015

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:52 pm

It would still be interesting to know more about the polls which found players to be in favour of quicker games.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd also like to see the poll results. The only reason I fill in the questionnaire every year is to say that the time control should be left alone.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:I really don't know why I bother posting on here. What I said was "the ECF appears to have made these significant changes unilaterally, without canvassing opinion amongst players". This does not constitute "castigating" the Home Director; it was simply an observation, specifically around the issue of time controls, not the number of rounds, and it was suffixed with a polite request to correct me if I was wrong. You have corrected me.
I don't understand what made you write that "the ECF appears to have made these significant changes unilaterally, without canvassing opinion amongst players" when there was no evidence to support that assertion and the fact is that they did the exact opposite. I'm sorry that you took umbridge at my last post, but perhaps if what you write had some basis in fact, it might help advance the discussion.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:"the ECF appears to have made these significant changes unilaterally, without canvassing opinion amongst players" when there was no evidence to support that assertion and the fact is that they did the exact opposite.

There was little or no mention of the changes actually made in the Aberystwyth questionnaire. Had there been, the usual suspects would have raised the issues either on the ECF's own forum or this one. It's not helped that both the questionnaire and the responses have been removed from the ECF site.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Anybody know who I should talk to about finding out if their will be afternoon sections for lower rated players? I have never understood why only the Major Open and the Main British and an Open is in the Afternoon. By creating a section for lower rated players they will make other sections stronger and not so many games will be high rated v low rated and just a walk over.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:52 pm

You should probably speak to Alex Holowczak or Kevin Staveley.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks Jack. I think I will go with Kevin on that one ;)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 pm

It doesn't look like it Lee as the time table is already out - I'm torn between playing 2 games a day and getting taken apart in the afternoon FIDE Open, or just playing the U140 Champs (also going to do the Rapid and a Weekender - playing in the Open would mean taking a hpb in that on the Friday night) and watching the GM games in the afternoon - I think it's going to be the latter :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Jon Mahony wrote: getting taken apart in the afternoon FIDE Open,
The removal of qualification places from the Major Open might have the effect of making the 5 day events more popular, but as an undivided open, it's never that strong because all the better players are in the British itself. The top seeds are in the 180 to 200 range, but there are numerous players graded well below that.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:56 am

Jon Mahony wrote:It doesn't look like it Lee as the time table is already out - I'm torn between playing 2 games a day and getting taken apart in the afternoon FIDE Open, or just playing the U140 Champs (also going to do the Rapid and a Weekender - playing in the Open would mean taking a hpb in that on the Friday night) and watching the GM games in the afternoon - I think it's going to be the latter :)
Hi Jon,

Glad you have decided to play the British anyway its a great event. But the only problem is the Afternoons. Afraid Roger is wrong. At lasts years event week 1 only 7 players were below 1600 level. And in week 2 only 3 below 1600 in the PM Opens.

It was very strong. Players of my level and just above only got 1/5! Large majority of the players were above 1800.

It is a huge shame that their are no events in the afternoon for the players who make up the biggest pool of players in the country. It has put many off even playing the British each year. Many prefer to play in the afternoon but do not want to play in the Open.

And Roger I did not know that about no qualification places from the Major anymore. Huge shame. To get 7.5/11 in that is a huge achievement and should be rewarded. Especially for how expensive it is to enter. I hope the entrance fee is reduced hugely to cater for this change.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 am

Lee Bullock wrote: And Roger I did not know that about no qualification places from the Major anymore. Huge shame. To get 7.5/11 in that is a huge achievement and should be rewarded. Especially for how expensive it is to enter. I hope the entrance fee is reduced hugely to cater for this change.
There remains one qualification place for the winner. With the greater likelihood of ties in the five round events, anyone looking for a place in the 2015 British has a much better chance of getting a place by playing in these, all five of them if they had the stamina.

It's a question of perspective as what counts as "strong".

These are the crosstables from last year's events

http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 1/SMWSite/
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 2/SMWSite/

There's not a single player rated above 2000 in the first week and just two in the second week.

I doubt the ECF or the management of the British are interested in hearing the views of participants. They made changes for this year that were not foreshadowed by the 2014 questionnaire and to compound the issue both the questionnaire and the responses have disappeared from the website.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:39 am

Lee Bullock wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:It doesn't look like it Lee as the time table is already out - I'm torn between playing 2 games a day and getting taken apart in the afternoon FIDE Open, or just playing the U140 Champs (also going to do the Rapid and a Weekender - playing in the Open would mean taking a hpb in that on the Friday night) and watching the GM games in the afternoon - I think it's going to be the latter :)
Hi Jon,

Glad you have decided to play the British anyway its a great event. But the only problem is the Afternoons. Afraid Roger is wrong. At lasts years event week 1 only 7 players were below 1600 level. And in week 2 only 3 below 1600 in the PM Opens.

It was very strong. Players of my level and just above only got 1/5! Large majority of the players were above 1800.

It is a huge shame that their are no events in the afternoon for the players who make up the biggest pool of players in the country. It has put many off even playing the British each year. Many prefer to play in the afternoon but do not want to play in the Open.
Yeah, while I can see Roger’s point that the really really strong players will be in the Open itself, there will still be plenty in there that can take me apart!

I’m not actually that bothered about losing to stronger player’s per-se, plus on a good day I can get draws out of 160+ players (have been known to chicken out and draw in a winning position too!) I’m just wondering if it might be better to go for quality over quantity and play 10 really good games (plus the rapid) in the tourneys I have a chance of winning, rather than tiring myself out, battling away in a tourney where I’ll be lucky to get a couple of draws. It might be better to check out the GM games in the Andrew Martin commentary room, and relax a bit.

On the other hand, the FIDE open is half price if you enter a morning tourney, that is kind of calling out to me :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Lee Bullock wrote: And Roger I did not know that about no qualification places from the Major anymore. Huge shame. To get 7.5/11 in that is a huge achievement and should be rewarded. Especially for how expensive it is to enter. I hope the entrance fee is reduced hugely to cater for this change.
There remains one qualification place for the winner. With the greater likelihood of ties in the five round events, anyone looking for a place in the 2015 British has a much better chance of getting a place by playing in these, all five of them if they had the stamina.

It's a question of perspective as what counts as "strong".

These are the crosstables from last year's events

http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 1/SMWSite/
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 2/SMWSite/

There's not a single player rated above 2000 in the first week and just two in the second week.

I doubt the ECF or the management of the British are interested in hearing the views of participants. They made changes for this year that were not foreshadowed by the 2014 questionnaire and to compound the issue both the questionnaire and the responses have disappeared from the website.
Hi Roger,

Yeah me and Jon are not strong. Any players over 1800 would take me and Jon apart most of the time. So the fact players of my level were getting 1/5 in the Opens says a lot. Having an u135 or u140 section in the afternoon would strengthen the Opens for the stronger players and give hope to the lower rated players of getting games we can compete in and win.

I myself can compete with these guys on my day. But at the British I am known to stay out a bit late and be worse for wear next day. But I just dont see why no lower section for lower rateds can be made in the afternoon. I myself may just play the morning and join you in the commentary room with a beer Jon ;)
Last edited by Lee Bullock on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Lee Bullock wrote:But I just dont see why no lower section for lower rateds can be made in the afternoon.
The simple enough solution is to do as done at Hastings and subdivide the five day tournaments by rating. Hastings usually fix the sections at 18 to 20, but you might do it by splitting once the total entries were above 40. Arbiters probably wouldn't like it as they would have twice as much work to do pairings. For whatever reason they have difficulties with the concept that you input the data to a program and select the "make new pairings" icon, insisting instead on traditional methods with pairing cards.

There might be some players who wanted to play the higher rated players and others who didn't. If the split by grade was frozen once the total entries reached 40, this could enable players to move sections. If the median was say 140 you might set the limit for the lower section at 150, but put all those above 140 in the higher section with the caveat that they could apply to move. Equally those in the lower section could ask to be moved higher.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah that would be a great idea. Anything to give more options has to be a good idea. I know many players who play the mornings and then go off and do there own thing because they dont fancy playing an Open. I am sure if an afternoon congress for lower rated at the British was experimented with it would be huge success proven by how many entrants it gets.